It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MI House Passes Right-to-Work Measure While Teachers Skip School to Protest

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by trinityalways
Either you people are not from Michigan or never read your history books.. Because if you had you would know that this is how we came to be what we are today and how many died paving this road for you and your family. Do you honestly think the government or your company really gives a rat -# about you as an individual they are a business and make money most don't even care how they get it just work your ass off for it.

Yes...they honestly believe that because they ARE that ignorant. They seem to forget that when we had "free markets" human beings were bought and sold as chattel property, children lost lots and lots of fingers in the machines, on the job accident rates were roughly 30X higher than they are now, and 3:4 chinese "employees" died before their "contract" on the railroad was fulfilled.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
reply to post by jimmyx

87% of Americans work in non- union jobs and what you ascribe is not happening. We have OSHA and State Labor boards to prevent that now.

1903 founded:
The International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT) is a labor union in the United States and Canada. Formed in 1903 by the merger of several local and regional locals of teamsters, the union now represents a diverse membership of blue-collar and professional workers in both the public and private sectors.

NOT FOUNDED TILL 1913 Us gov founded The Department of Labor (DOL) was created by act of March 4, 1913 (29 U.S.C. 551)

And the United States Department of labor is doing awwww so good WHATEVER…

gezzz dont even get me started with OSHA

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

So do you think it is okay to be forced into a union?

quick answer....What planet are you living on you pay the government all your money and than some(TAXES, TAXES AND MORE TAXES and have no rights .....at least with a Union you have your rights laid out for you....

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

the lady being interviewed is full of garbage to be nice

cant answer the question

She is being snide and snarky...

has no clue...Sore losers award

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
MI weakens unions

LANSING, Michigan (Reuters) - Michigan enacted a ban on mandatory union membership on Tuesday, dealing a stunning blow to organized labor in the state that is home to U.S. automakers and the symbol of industrial labor in the United States.

If I understand correctly they are upset because not everyone is forced to join the union... people now can choose the type of slavery they are bonded into..

Did I misunderstand the argument..

Union upset over not being able to force everyone to join...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
happens all the time out here in california, which by the way is a right-to-work state.

No, actually California isn't a right-to-work state. There are only 24 states that practice freedom in the workplace, and California isn't one of them.

Nice try, though. Good thing there's a thing called "the internet" for anyone that might accidentally believe you.

/TOA

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

I believe the only reason it didn't pass is because it was to amend our constitution

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I worked for a company that was purchased by Ford Mo Co. The CEO's of Ford rental a hall and catering service and announced they had purchased the company. Later they had a question and answer session. One of the workers stood up and asked when was the union was coming in. The next day the president of the company went on a rampage to find him. When he did he was fired on the spot.

2 Weeks later we took a vote weather to unionize or not. 300 employers voted yes it was a 100% yes vote. It took us 2 years to negotiate contract with Ford. Once the contract was settled we all got a signing bonus and raises. I got the largest raise in the company. I went from $10 and hour to $17.

A lot of new rules went into place. First thing was safety. The supervisors could no longer make you climb into a hopper full of sharp jagged steal to fetch something for him.

I was the first person to file a grievance against the company. I was welding on some steal one day in a designated welding area. Someone put a couple of crates next to me that contained expensive equipment. They were packed in highly flameable foam. Some sparks landed in the box and a fire started. I couldn't see the fire because I had welding glasses on. A $200,000 lift assist was burned up.

The company tried saying it was my fault. Eventually it came down on management. They had put boxes with highly flameable foam next to a desigated welding area. If it weren't for the union I would have lost my job.

These are the kinds of rights you get when working for a union company.

Right to work is nothing more then a attack on the working mans rights. If someone doens't want to work for a union company go somewhere else.

Right to work in michigan will do nothing but lower wages and the standard or living in Michigan. Next they'll be bringing in bus loads of Mexicans to compete with us for jobs.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

I didn't realize that you are able to see the alternate reality of what would have happened without the union.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I have dealt with OSHA and a state labor board on a few occasions. They did a great job and took care of business in short order. Michigan needs jobs. Companies can now come in and employ its citizens which is good for Michigan. Bad things happened in the past when it came to workers rights. That was long ago and i just can't see how those problems could come back to haunt us in a world that rewards a woman that spilled hot coffee in her lap 14 million dollars in damages.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

I don't know. Did you or anyone else watch the violence from the Union people?
I say let Detroit simmer in it's own crap.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
I was in a union for a few years. The only thing they ever did was suck money out of me, and make me attend pointless meetings. I decided independent subcontracting was the way to go. Don't have to worry about morons on the jobsites who hire all subcontractors. You don't know what you are doing? Hit the road. You want to play around and act like an idiot? Hit the road. You want to endanger other people on the jobsite? Hit the road. Much safer work environment, and sometimes even a few intelligent people to converse with on lunch break is a bonus too.

also...
if your fifty, hit the road
if your sick for 2 to 3 weeks, hit the road
if you hurt yourself on the jobsite, hit the road
if you complain about never getting a raise, hit the road
if you are assigned more work, normally done by 2 people, and you can't get it done, hit the road
if the boss doen't like your attitude, hit the road

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Yes i saw that. Unions have turned into the thugs they were created to protect workers from.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

[SNIP]
Mod Note - Civility Required

Foreman don't care how old you are, as long as you can do the job you are hired for.

Being sick for weeks, may or may not lose you a job, depends really. If you are on the finishing end, the house was already closed on and new owners are already set with a move in date, then yeah, foreman will probably hire someone else.

If you hurt yourself on the job and cannot complete, then you probably will lose that job. Good thing workman's comp is a required insurance for sub contractors.

Getting a raise? Hahaha, you don't know anything about subcontracting apparently..... Yeah, good luck agreeing with a price to do a job, then asking for more in the middle of doing the job. Get a clue. Subcontractors set their own wages BTW.

Ummmm........ what? A foreman doesn't assign subcontractors any extra work. Your company bids for a job, agrees on price, then you do that job. End of story.

Yeah, if you are a prick, you might get thrown off the job. How is that a bad thing? I don't like working with pricks on the jobsite either.

edit on 12/12/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

also...

if your fifty, hit the road

If that is the attitude of the company, then yes. Freedom for all, not just for some. Freedom for the company to make that choice.

if your sick for 2 to 3 weeks, hit the road

If that is the attitude of the company, then yes. Freedom for all, not just for some. Freedom for the company to make that choice.

if you hurt yourself on the jobsite, hit the road

That is where OSHA and DOL steps in, not the union. And Worker's Comp, not the union.

if you complain about never getting a raise, hit the road

If that is the attitude of the company, then yes. Freedom for all, not just for some. Freedom for the company to make that choice.The company is not obligated to increase anyone's pay.

if you are assigned more work, normally done by 2 people, and you can't get it done, hit the road

Or just bitch and moan that since you are being paid to work, that the company gets to define what work you do.

if the boss doen't like your attitude, hit the road

Yes.

Don't see the problem here.
YOU have no right to work for a company.
You have the right to work.
The Company gets to dictate who works for them, what work is done, how much is required. Not the worker.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
I have dealt with OSHA and a state labor board on a few occasions. They did a great job and took care of business in short order. Michigan needs jobs. Companies can now come in and employ its citizens which is good for Michigan. Bad things happened in the past when it came to workers rights. That was long ago and i just can't see how those problems could come back to haunt us in a world that rewards a woman that spilled hot coffee in her lap 14 million dollars in damages.

again?...the old lady and the hot coffee example? this shows exactly how big business feels toward people...it's called "screw you" reality

www.colbertnation.com...
and here's the website:
www.hotcoffeethemovie.com...

i'm always amazed that somehow republicans, and people that vote for them, don't think they can get screwed over by corporations and the wealthy. i have republican friends that are shocked when it happens to them, they have that deer-in-headlights look on their faces, when the very people they voted for actually takes something from them that affects their own bottom line.
bad things are happening now to workers, corporate media somehow juuuusssst doesn't get around to reporting it......shocked, i'm shocked

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Yeah, because that never happens to Dem voters or with Dem politicians.

One gets the screw by a company.
One gets the screw by the Govt.

One I am take my business to or not.
One I can chose to work for or not.

The other I have no choice but to have injected into my life.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

I saw on the news last night where the wonderful union guys and girls cut down the tent, with people, including 2 80 year old women still in it, with hot chili and coffee, then try to walk on it.
I was most impressed when someone yelled out "there are still people in there." and the response you could hear?
"so?"

Yep, with the union people I have had to deal with, this is their mentality.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

wow...all i can say is...just wait to you are screwed over, by a company, or corporation. i guess living on the street is just a alternate lifestyle to you....maybe all of us americans just need to go through a depression once again, to appreciate how wonderful our corporate masters are, for giving us the opportunity to work for them
hey i know:
1. let's do away with that pesky minimum wage, it really is hurting our competitiveness
2. and work weeks should be as many hours as the company wants, maybe 16 a day, would boost profits.
3. and OSHA...c'mon, cutting into profits, because some worker gets hurt due to his own stupidity, not good
4. let's bring in as many chinese nationals as needed to work, to show americans how lazy they are.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Actually i know for a fact i can screwed over by pretty much everyone. I am realistic to put it mildly.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join