It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MI House Passes Right-to-Work Measure While Teachers Skip School to Protest

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Link

The Republican-controlled Michigan House has passed one of two contentious "right-to-work" bills, as union protesters flooded the capital and hundreds of teachers called out of work to participate in the demonstrations. The measure approved Tuesday morning deals with public-sector workers. Another bill focusing on the private sector was approved last week, when the Senate OK'd both bills. When final versions have cleared the House, they'll go to Republican Gov. Rick Snyder for his expected signature as early as Wednesday. Coinciding with the votes were massive and noisy protests both inside and outside the Capitol from pro-union demonstrators. Thousands descended upon downtown Lansing to rally against the legislation that prohibits requiring nonunion employees to financially support unions at their workplace. The move would make Michigan the 24th "right-to-work" state and strike a blow to organized labor in the heart of the U.S. auto industry. Earlier in the day, two state school districts closed after hundreds of teachers called out.
Congratulations to Michigan. They have both the largest union membership and the worst unemployment numbers in the country. Hopefully, this will bring some employers back to the state.
Regarding the teachers calling out; fire them all. Every union teacher that called out and robbed the children they are supposed to be educating needs to be fired on the spot. There are many unemployed teachers all over the country who would be happy to take their jobs. There are even more unemployed college graduates that would gladly fill any remaining open positions. Fire them all and hire only non-unio teachers from that point forward. The children will thank you for getting those leeches out of the system and replacing them with people who actually want to teach.
edit on Tue Dec 11 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: added MI to title

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Yeah, I've been watching this on the local news every night.
I'm very surprised this past, with the unions screaming on the t.v. all the time, but I'm happy it did.
We sure need something to happen for the good in this state.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
i was glad to hear this passed. the union dorks came around work last night trying to get us to go protest at the capitol today. hopefully this will allow my employer to get rid of all the dead beat, foot scuffers and replace them with people who actually take pride in what they do.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
Yeah, I've been watching this on the local news every night.
I'm very surprised this past, with the unions screaming on the t.v. all the time, but I'm happy it did.
We sure need something to happen for the good in this state.
The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over with the expectation of a different outcome. As long as we have freetrade with slave wage nations, we cannot afford unions. Public unions just need to be outlawed altogether. Government employees should never have been allowed to unionize. That was one of the dumbest things to ever occur. At least for taxpayers anyway.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I see pictures of these union penguins mulling around in crowds demanding the compulsory dues of people that don't want to pay them and I just think how pathetic.

They'd thrash the first amendment (freedom of association) just to have their ill negotiated pension coffers filled.
edit on 11-12-2012 by 11235813213455 because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Pathetic.

What you won't hear :

Republicans are ramming this thing through in a lame-duck session.

Why?

They won't have the votes later. They lost seats.

So why does that even matter?

Some of the people that voted in favor of this won't even have to face voters again, because they already lost.

This is so pathetic but the republicans will hypocritically ignore it. It is such a pathetic joke and at complete odds against democracy. If democrats tried something like this, there would be BLOOD.

It would be no different than if Democrats rammed health-care reform after losing 60 seats in the house back in 2010 during the lame-duck session.

This bill would have FAILED if the people who just got elected were sitting. Such a shame.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
How is this beneficial?

How is it OK for you to get union benefits without paying for them?

This is sort of idiotic, unless of course I'm not understanding what this legislation means other than bringing much needed employers to the state.

~Tenth

link   

Originally posted by nuclear12346
Pathetic.

What you won't hear :

Why?

Some of the people that voted in favor of this won't even have to face voters again, because they already lost.

This is so pathetic but the republicans will hypocritically ignore it. It is such a pathetic joke and at complete odds against democracy. If democrats tried something like this, there would be BLOOD.

It would be no different than if Democrats rammed health-care reform after losing 60 seats in the house back in 2010 during the lame-duck session.

This bill would have FAILED if the people who just got elected were sitting. Such a shame.
Democrats did do stuff just like that. That is princess pelosi got the abominable care act passed.

+11 more 
link   

Originally posted by 11235813213455
I see pictures of these union penguins mulling around in crowds demanding the compulsory dues of people that don't want to pay them and I just think how pathetic.

Ive had union shop jobs in the past. It absolutely blew my mind the first time a union rep came up to me and threatened me to pay up or be fired.

I could not believe it. Here was the union, the entity that was supposed to save me from threats and extortion from my employer threatening me with extortion.

I could have been the number 1 employee in the place but still let go not by my boss or the owner but by some union crony for not paying up.

Then, when I found out what they do with that money they steal! Christ.

How is any of what they do ethical let alone legal?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Pathetic.

What you won't hear :

Why?

Who'd of thunk a lame duck session could be used for good?

edit on 11-12-2012 by 11235813213455 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Pathetic.

What you won't hear :

Why?

another thing you wont hear is the democrats admitting that they only care about unions because of the monies they receive from "dues" , and the huge political influence they have upon union members.

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

The union can withhold benefits if they chose.

I just love the fact that people in MI can have the individual CHOICE as to whether they want to join a union, or not.
Instead of being forced to do so.

Freedom for the individual won in MI today.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

Freedom for the individual won in MI today.
Lately that is a rare and wonderful thing. We need more of it.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

My first job out of high school was at a packing house. Loaded boxes of meat that were 2/3's of my body weight on the back of a truck all day. Tough work...

I remember being approached about joining the union. What a sleazy process. Went off much like your story. But hey, I was a dumb kid and jumped right on board. Fast forward 4 months and they were going to strike. What are joke...

On the bright side I happily left that job before the strike for one that laid the foundation for my career. No union, plenty of raises because the business practiced meritocracy.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
There were several instances, while my husband was a laborer, that guys doing OTHER jobs on the site, had to join the union, or get off the work site. How is this fair? They weren't Laborers. They could have been roofers, plumbers, whatever.

Also, what does the union due with all that money that they strong arm out of the members? Buy politicians. Plain and simple.

And do they protect their members? Only the ones that kiss enough butt. If you work hard, but don't kiss it, you get nothing.
Oh, and if you are a Bats8*** crazy truck driver, and put a live opossum in another drivers semi cab, and threaten customers and the company fires you, they will get you your job back, pronto.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Oh?!

Ok, now I understand.

Yes this is very good.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Hey, I am all for freedom. That means if you want to join a union, you can. If you don't want to, then you don't have to.

I am also for freedoms where a company has the choice to not allow, or allow unions.

Freedom for all, not just for some.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11235813213455

On the bright side I happily left that job before the strike for one that laid the foundation for my career. No union, plenty of raises because the business practiced meritocracy.

That was another issue with the union. They did everything they could to make sure that busting your ass would not pay off or benefit you in any way.

Consistently beating quotas, perfect attendance, streamlining processes, you were blocked from receiving any raises or perks by your union contract. You could be the absolute best guy on the floor and you were paid the same as the drunks who called out every Monday and Friday.

In fact I was told on more than one occasion to "slow down" and "take some days" because I was making other people feel bad about their performance.
edit on 11-12-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Actually it has nothing to do, those people that are anti union think that this a good thing for teaches, it means that now lax laws on employment can now target at lowering cost and salaries of teachers in the state without repercussions.

Lower salaries next and worst working environment due to budget cut it has nothing to do with quality of education and for the good of the children, as usual the tax payer are the losers not the unions and neither the misinformed anti union crowd.

Way to go, one more for the government and the welfare state.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join