It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Employees Make an Average $32,000 More than Private Sector

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy In that case, yes, I probably make $32k more per year than the burger flipper. As it should be.

No the burger flipper is making a product that people can buy or choose not to.
The taxpayers are forced to buy your product (fascism) at the point of a gun.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy
reply to post by winterkill

Now that's HILARIOUS! I'm a federal employee. I sure wish I made $32k more than the same job in the private sector!

Although this article does not actually compare apple to apples, does it? It compares a specific skill set job, requiring a Bachelor's Degree, and compares it to flipping burgers. In that case, yes, I probably make $32k more per year than the burger flipper. As it should be.

By the logic in this garbage article, there are million upon millions of people in the private sector making 32k or more per year above other people. It's called career advancement. Losers.
edit on 11-12-2012 by usernameconspiracy because: added "stuff"

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Here's the bottom line, they make more money on average...job for job...than their employers.

Because, folks, the taxpayers are their employers.

We pay them more money than we make and they are public servants.

Tell me how that is fair?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy In that case, yes, I probably make $32k more per year than the burger flipper. As it should be.

No the burger flipper is making a product that people can buy or choose not to.
The taxpayers are forced to buy your product (fascism) at the point of a gun.

Drama queen much? Since you have no idea what I do...

You just worry about your own career and I'll worry about my supposed fascism.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
Here's the bottom line, they make more money on average...job for job...than their employers.

Because, folks, the taxpayers are their employers.

We pay them more money than we make and they are public servants.

Tell me how that is fair?

The bigger question is not if it's fair but whether or not it's sustainable. How much longer can the current rate of borrowing continue and how much more revenue can be taken from taxes before the situation is similar to what Greece is facing or worse?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

"That report found the average civilian federal government worker collected just under $84,000"

Collected? Excuse me? The word is earned.

I've never known a Federal worker to be laid off or fired yet could name dozens who were forced to leave private sector jobs.

Since you don't know any, I guess it never happens right? How about the furlough that will be in place for federal workers if we go off the cliff? Who cares right? They're just federal employees. Those aren't real jobs that support real families, just moochers.... ugh!

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Most of the government workers around here don't make that much. Most government workers in this area make under 60 a year. College professors and administrators are the highest paid around here.

I'm glad we don't have those high priced Feds around here. Having a few overpaid FBI agents who sit in their office all day because we don't have anything really going on around here is kind of a waste. Just keep a secretary here to contact them if needed. I wonder what those local FBI agents do all day around here? Maybe Poker or possibly doing internet surfing to discredit people on conspiracies.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by usernameconspiracy

Enlighten me.

Just what do you do 'for me'? How is my life better for paying your bloated salary?

Everyone here do an experiment go to the DMV for a half hour at 9 or 10 in the morning, and record how slow the numbers are called, then go in at 2 or 3 in the afternoon and record how slow the numbers are called. I will wager a snails pace, at least in Los Angeles.
Then from 4:30 to 5 (they close at five) you will see the production at least double.
What this proves to me is that although the government workers 'can' be efficient they choose not to because they can't be fired and they could not care less about your time. They are lazy and entitled.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

This article is about Federal employees. Last time I checked, the Federal government does not run your DMV.

The article that kicked off this thread misses a few important differences between the public and private sectors. It really doesn't address compensation at the executive level. In the public sector, executive salaries are capped. The EX I grade--your Secretary of Defense, your Secretary of State, etc.--make a base pay of $199,700 per year. They get locality pay and a number of benefits, but they don't get stock in the company, they don't get to give themselves raises, and they can expect to be let go in four to eight years when the new administration comes in. Career executives in the SES have a little more security, but their base pay is capped at $179,700. These pay rates were frozen from 2010 to 2013. In 2011, CEOs of S&P 500 companies received about $12 million in compensation (one million straight salary) and got an average raise of 36.5%. Few executives in the private sector would take over a multi-billion dollar operation for less than $200k a year and those kinds of constraints. Americans often talk about how government should be run like a business, and there's some merit to that idea, but it isn't willing to pay its executives like a real business would.

The worker bees aren't as worse off, but it's not all milk and honey. (That metaphor almost worked.) Getting one's foot in the door, even as a temp with no benefits and no status, is difficult without a degree and veteran's preference. It can be done, it's just hard. And those who do get in don't always like it. My organization has a few lifers who are tied to this geographic area, but for the young and mobile it's a revolving door. Anyone who can get out takes the first chance they get. They wouldn't be doing this if they were earning $32k more than their private sector counterparts.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

Bloated salary, huh? I make $51,000 a year with a Bachelor's Degree. Most current federal jobs now require Masters Degrees, so you can see how $50-60k a year is actually under what one would expect from the private sector with similar education. Now if you live in California, I doubt I have done anything that benefits you specifically, as California isn't in my region. I'll ignore your flawed thought that your local DMV is somehow run by the Federal Government (it isn't).

Again, I am amazed at how people can begrudge someone of their employment. Should we all be complaining about your job? It's just sad, man.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
One forgotten fact, the full-time work week consists of 35 hours. What a deal, I never shoulda left public service.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by DOLCOTT

Where does a full time work week equal 35 hours? I know you're not talking about the Federal Government, our full timers work 40 hours per week (5 USC 6101).

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx
No what makes no sense is the constant whining and complaining of people, that continually vote against their economic interests. Despite having certain issues with public sector employment, it is important to understand that they aren't evil or leeches, they are trying to hold onto what they have like everyone else. Want to complain, want to whine, fine but please for the love of God whine and complain about the real problem crappy trade policy designed to undercut the private sector workers in an effort to destroy the unions. It isn't the public sector that is the real problem. It is the private sector employers paying garbage wages expecting the tax payers to make up the difference straining the social safety nets.

You nailed it. I'm a federal employee and I'd much rather work for a good private sector company.
Hell, I'm even planning on starting my own business soon (I'm only 32, soon to be 33) so I can get out of the public sector.

People need to stop blaming the public sector for these problems. It's not us! Look at the income inequality disparity between CEO pay and worker pay. It's gigantic. That's the root of the problem - greedy corporations hoarding all of the profit and wealth. In the public sector, atleast we have a fair shot of earning a decent living.

People need to address the correct problem instead of pointing fingers.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74 They're just federal employees. Those aren't real jobs that support real families, just moochers.... ugh!

Yeah, you pretty much nailed it.

Originally posted by user ameconspiracyAgain, I am amazed at how people can begrudge someone of their employment. Should we all be complaining about your job? It's just sad, man.

So if the mafia enforcer wants to take the profits from your effort because that is his 'employment' you would be fine with that- well I am not.

You are part of a corrupt gang just like them. You feed off the work of others. The private sector will do fine without you. How fine would the public sector be without the taxpayers?

edit on 2-1-2013 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea
You are part of a corrupt gang just like them. You feed off the work of others. The private sector will do fine without you. How fine would the public sector be without the taxpayers?

edit on 2-1-2013 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

Umm, I am a tax payer...

I "feed" off of no ones work but my own. I also work for an agency that has it's own revenue stream, so you need not worry about me wasting your tax dollars, if you even bother to file.

Outside of that, paranoid ramblings about being a part of the grand conspiracy. And I have made it clear that I don't care if you like my employment or not. Seems like senseless hatred to me, but if you want to be an angry young man, be my guest.
edit on 2-1-2013 by usernameconspiracy because: idiocy

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by usernameconspiracy

I'm all ears.
What exactly does your area create and sell that civilians willingly purchase?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join