It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

R.I.P....Sir Patrick Moore Dies at age 89

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Such a sad day, Patrick will be greatly missed, I grew up with this bloke and watched every show I could, he both fascinated and educated such a great many.

Your memory lives on, RIP

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Sir Patrick Moore will always be an inspiration for myself and 1000's of other people who have looked up to the heavens to see the Moon and stars over all of my life time, and watching him on TVs The Sky At Night program, well things will never be the same for me.

Patrick, you are one heck of a star up there and you will always be.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Same as everyone else here, RIP Patrick, there was no one like him and probably never will be either. And what a xylophone player!

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I always enjoyed watching The Sky At Night, and I always liked Patrick.

This is sad news.

R.I.P. Sir Patrick Moore.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Farewell Sir Patrick. He will be missed, he brought astronomy to the masses and single-handedly ignited my life long interest in the subject when I was a youngster. RIP.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Very sad news indeed. He was a great ambassador for the subject of astronomy, and many people (including myself) were inspired to learn about the night sky and beyond because of his infectious enthusiasm. He will be greatly missed

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
he was the epitome of british eccentricity and avuncular enthusiasm. i love the sky at night. r.i.p. sir Patrick.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
He was a legend, but I will always remember him as the Games Master. Rip

i remember that programme fondly. great stuff

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
He just made it all so easy to understand and by this he drew you into loving the stars, planets and everything in space.

Rest in Peace

Wolfie

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
A true gentleman, a bastian of englishness, a self-taught genius and a tragic loss. Sir Patrick, I hope you can now discover it all for yourself, go out there and touch it. You were my inspiration as a young boy, I still have your books but we no longer have anyone like you. God Bless You.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
A huge loss to the world- an incredible gentleman- thinker, scientist, musician and war hero.

I feel like Ive lost a favorite uncle- hes been part of my life since childhood, and The Sky at Night (he presented this program from 1957!) was always a pleasure to watch- the title music always made me feel awe and wonder at the universe he described.

The true scientist who admitted how little mankind actually knew, and enjoyed the fact that we continue to learn everyday. Theres an anecdote they keep playing on BBC News by one of the other presenters of 'The Sky at Night 'who had been spoken to by Sir Patrick as a child at school. Apparently he said 'well, thats all we know about the planets in our solar system at the moment- very little. Im sure if I come back in 10 years I would be able to tell you much more!', showing that he revelled in mankinds endeavours in astronomy, but that we were just starting to understand a vast and complex universe.

One thing many people are unaware of is Sir Patricks interest in Transient Lunar Phenomenon. The term was created by Patrick Moore during his co-authoring of NASA Technical Report R-277 Chronological Catalog of Reported Lunar Events, published in 1968. These are visible changes viewed on the Moons surface from Earth and have been written about for over a 1000 years.

en.wikipedia.org...

He lied about his age in order to join the RAF and fight in World War II at the age of sixteen, and from 1940 until 1945 he served as a navigator in RAF Bomber Command, reaching the rank of Flight lieutenant. He first received his flying training in Canada, during which time he met Albert Einstein and Orville Wright while on leave in New York.

He never married, and had only one romance, during the war. He was engaged to a nurse called Lorna, who was killed when a German bomb struck her ambulance. Tragically, he once said "there was no one else for me...second best is no good for me...I would have liked a wife and family, but it was not to be." He never forgave Germany for this, and famously said "if I saw the entire German nation sinking into the sea, I could be relied upon to help push it down."

He had some unfortunate political beliefs- a confirmed 'Thatcherite', a Tory voter for many years, he remained a supporter and patron of the eurosceptic UK Independence Party until his death. Nobodys perfect.

Apparently he was unwell last week and was admitted to hospital, where 'no further treatment would benefit him, and it was his wish to spend his last days in his own home, Farthings, where he today passed on, in the company of close friends and carers and his cat Ptolemy.'

So thankyou, Sir Patrick. You will be greatly missed.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
A great man, a sad loss, the world will miss you Patrick.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
R.I.P Sir Patrick........

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Such a sad loss, Sir Patrick was the person who fired up my enthusiasm in astronomy.
I once had the pleasure of meeting this giant of a man in the ill fitting suit when I was a child. His enthusiasm and wit will be sadly missed by the whole space community.

R.I.P Sir Patrick Moore.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I only very vaguely remember The Sky at Night, but remember GamesMaster better.
He was for astronomy as David Attenborough is for naturalism.
I don't think it matters what we remember him for, we lost a truly brilliant and quirky man today.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Great guy in the astronomy industry, RIP.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
very sad news
i watched the sky at night the other night
he was excited about the new mercury discoveries!

this man truly deserves the 'LEGEND' status
his spirit is now free to explore the universe!
i tip my hat off and place too my heart!

Sir Patrick Alfred Caldwell-Moore - 4 March 1923 – 9 December 2012
R.I.P

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
RIP fellow space enthusiast and keeper of the knowledge flame, he shall be dearly missed...

SS

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
He wasn't just an amateur astronomer and xylophone player.....he was the games master!!!

RIP Sir Patrick

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
Sir Patrick probably did more for amateur astronomy than anyone else who has ever lived. RIP.

very well said sir.

He was a gentleman and a scholar - RIP.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join