It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

R.I.P....Sir Patrick Moore Dies at age 89

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Sad breaking news that Sir Patrick Moore has died .
Patrick Moore had an infections love of Astronomy and has been a part of my interest in the Cosmos since I was a lad , I place him along side Carl Sagan in the list of greats of Astronomy .

Patrick Moore hosted The Sky at Night Astronomy program on the BBC since 1957 making it the longest-running program with the same presenter in television history .

RIP Patrick , I will miss you

Patrick Moore

Here's a really good interview with Sir Patrick Moore - Interview on The Moore Show 2011 , I think this interview shows what I'll miss now Sir Patrick has gone.

edit on 9-12-2012 by gortex because: Edit to add

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Sir Patrick probably did more for amateur astronomy than anyone else who has ever lived. RIP.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I am gutted to hear this.

he introduced me to astronomy when I was a little kid with the sky at night

truly a sad day

RIP

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
RIP, Sir Patrick.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Really sad news..
He was the one who inspired me to get my first scope as a kid.
What a guy,never did his passion dwindle over the years.

A true inspiration.

RIP Sir Patrick.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

He lived a great life and if I had a list of Extraordinary Englishmen he'd be on it. Let's fire up the Moore meets Venusian video and smile!

Comedy gold!

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Seriously sad news. A true gentleman and scholar.

RIP Mr Moore.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I am so sad to hear this, this man was a legend and a hero to many including myself.
The sky at night will not be the same with out him.

R.I.P Sir Patrick Moore.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Hi mate , I love that video not only for its ridiculousness but also because it shows Patricks professionalism off to a tee

Here's one that shows he was also a talented musician .
Sir Patrick Moore playing his own composition - Penguin Parade.

edit on 9-12-2012 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Another true legend gone......

Although Sir Patrick took more of a back seat in the latter years of Sky at night, the show will never be the same and i hope it continues in his memory.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
The Sky at night will never be the same. Patric should have been a Lord as he is one of a few that earned and deserved that title.

I hope they consider a VR Patric Moore to continue to host the show which lived so long on his love of the subject and special ability to infuse and educate everyone.

Bravo Patric.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
He was a legend, but I will always remember him as the Games Master. Rip

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I remember going up to London as a teenager, he was giving a talk at one of the uni's there.

Will never forget his take on the prospect of life on Mars.....He never believed we would find alien life there.

R.I.P Sir Patrick.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I've been watching The Sky At Night for over 35 years, it was this that got me interested in Astronomy in the first place. RIP.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

IIRC he was also once certain that no water/ice would be found on the moon.

He was amongst the first multiple witnesses to see TLP. Decades of similar sightings had been dismissed as imagination!

Some interesting quotes >>

Have you done something recently that you have regretted?

I really can’t think of anything! Nope, not a thing.

Are you satisfied with the changes you have witnessed in space travel in your lifetime?

From the moon landing to Huygens successful mission to Titan in less than a century is a huge jump don’t you think? Well also I met Orville Wright. I’ve met the first Airman, the first Spaceman and the first man on the Moon. They could have all met; all their lives could have overlapped in some way. They didn’t, but it would have been interesting don’t you think? I wonder.

The first man on Mars. Who is he? He might be out there now. Just being born or 6 months - a year old and unaware of his destiny. I’d love to meet him. (laughs) To answer your question; I am happy in a way. I just feel we would be much further on if so much money hadn’t been wasted on stupid wars.

You have met many interesting people; would you mind sharing your experience of these meetings. How did you feel? Were you very nervous etc?

Einstein? He had a violin, he played “The Swan” and I just happened to know it! I joined him on the piano. Pure luck. He was a very communicative man, friendly and unassuming. Exactly what you would expect from someone like him. A man apart from all others. Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong? I like them both immensely.

f you had a giant space cannon who/what would you put in it, and which astral body would you fire it at?

Every politician and world leader. Then blast them to Alpha Centauri, a nice safe distance for them. (laughs)
B3TA Interviews Patrick Moore

Just a lovely guy! ...and what a life?!

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
wow I didn't know of him but he seems absolutely to have been ultimate kickass...

I will look more into him, he seems to have been a great loss indeed.

RIP sir, you have earned it.

wow.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
The Sky at Night was one of only a few TV shows that i am able to watch on TV these days.

See you in the next life Patrick!

Tsom87

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Genuinely, genuinely gutted.

I had the pleasure and privilege of meeting him twice at lectures. A great man. The world is a much poorer place without him.

It would be nice to think there's a new star out there shining, tonight - even if he'd dismiss such a thought as being a load of bollocks.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Excentric ... Legend ... Gentle-Man ... has left this mortal coil today and will be sadly missed by many !

R.I.P Sir Patrick Moore

Woody

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
RIP Sir Pat. May the answers now be with you. My SAN collection has just become my most valued data. thank you for your contribution, and congratulations on a wickedly wicked life.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join