It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Gangnam Style’ Singer PSY’s Vitriolic Anti-American Past Revealed, Outrage Ensues

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Apparently PSY, the genius behind the song, "Gangam Style," which has become the #1 viewed video on YouTube, had quite a few bones to pick with the American Military a few years ago. Protesting the American military presence in Korea and Iraq, he took the stage in front of a crowd and rapped the following verse:

Kill those ****ing Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives
Kill those ****ing Yankees who ordered them to torture
Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law and fathers
Kill them all slowly and painfully

It reads like something straight out of a crappy commercial hardcore band like Hatebreed, except with a distinct anti-American sentiment. This is sure to hurt his reputation amongst Americans, but it should be noted that he has released a formal apology:

“As a proud South Korean who was educated in the United States and lived there for a very significant part of my life, I understand the sacrifices American servicemen and women have made to protect freedom and democracy in my country and around the world. The song I was featured in – eight years ago – was part of a deeply emotional reaction to the war in Iraq and the killing of two Korean schoolgirls that was part of the overall antiwar sentiment shared by others around the world at that time. While I’m grateful for the freedom to express one’s self, I’ve learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I’m deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted. I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused by those words.

“I have been honored to perform in front of American soldiers in recent months – including an appearance on the Jay Leno show specifically for them- and I hope they and all Americans can accept my apology. While it’s important that we express our opinions, I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so. In my music, I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that thru music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology.”

Personally, I do believe that people can change, especially in a time span of eight years, and his apology does seem heartfelt. Still, it doesn't make it okay to wish death upon soldiers and their families. I don't doubt that he was emotionally conflicted when he made those statements, but should his reputation be sabotaged because of them?

Link 1
Link 2

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

I can't stress how despising this, bull sh*t, music is to true artists. I can't believe people actually like this crap anyway. Thanks, for ruining my time on ats with this bull sh*t. I honestly hope this ruins his music career.
edit on 8-12-2012 by Donahue because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Donahue

I understand your pain, lol, trust me, but I hope he recovers. He is a musical troll who, in performing what may perhaps be the most retarded song ever, has completely captivated the minds of musical Jersey Shore fans, to speak figuratively. The fact that his idiotic song is so popular is something that I find hilarious, it's like his whole existence is a farce to put an even larger farce, the imbecility of the music industry, in perspective.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
So what?

I'm sure the people in Yemen or Pakistan say the same thing after drone attacks kill innocent children. It's called anger, an emotional reaction to innocent people being murdered.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Who cares?

For a country that upholds "Freedom of Speech" as an inherent right, isn't it rather hypocritical to stomp on someone elses right to have their own opinion? Or is it that anything Anti-American doesn't apply to the "Freedom of Speech" law?

Unbelievable.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   

He's not sorry for what he said and how he feels he's sorry he got called out on it. And yes he should be held to it, everyone else is. What makes him special?

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Freedom of speech isn't the issue here; nobody is debating his right to hate on America. The thing about speaking against Americans, as with any other nationality, is that there is a likelihood that they may come to dislike you. Furthermore, he has many fans in America who likely feel betrayed or disgusted by this.

What is conflicting is whether a statement that he made out of anger 8 years ago should hold water now.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

I'm detecting a distinct "How dare he say anything bad about America" coming from this thread - regardless of whatever reasons you say you are discussing this.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

NO in America we do not respect our enemies if that hasn't been made abundantly clear.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
reply to post by Kryties

NO in America we do not respect our enemies if that hasn't been made abundantly clear.

Huh? What does that have to do with what I said?

Unless you are saying that because Psy said something bad about America that makes him an enemy of America - in that case thankyou for proving my point.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

he has many fans in America who likely feel betrayed or disgusted by this.

Then that is their problem. Tell them to stop being nationalist crybabies and realize what their country is doing around the world in their name.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
double

edit on 8-12-2012 by ShotGunRum because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

So let me get this straight. He has a right to feel a certain way but I dont?
And no I didn't declare him my enemy he declared us the enemy so you can take your point turn it sideways and boff it right up.

take your America hate elsewhere.
edit on 8-12-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Wait there are people from other countries that don't like America?

Why?

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Toughen up princesses.

How many American soldiers do you think made similar comments about killing innocent people in the middle east, in the aftermath of 9/11? Let's be frank here, probably a great number of them.

American soldiers had just killed 2 children and were in the middle of slaughtering tens of thousands of innocent people in the middle east. When you're dealing with raw emotion people say stupid things.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   

The performance was inspired by the recent death of two Korean school girls who were run over by an American tank in South Korea. The soldiers driving the tank were acquitted by a US military court.

He used a social / political event to further his own career and gain the populist market...

Nothing unusual for a "celebrity" in my opinion. They are all the same no matter where they come from.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   

First, he's popular because of a video.

Now, he's under fire because of his anti-American sentiment.

He only speaks the truth. See a pattern here?

Peace

edit on 8-12-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

He's had success in America, which is why it is repulsive to see him having trash talked Americans. To put things in perspective, say you make a new friend whose company you enjoy, you then find out that said friend actually hates you and your nationality. You would feel a sense of betrayal, would you not? People who paid for his music feel wronged.

This really isn't an issue of, "How dare he hate America," it's more an issue of, "How dare he pretend to like America."

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by GrandStrategy

Those soldiers don't try to pass themselves off as Pro-Middle Eastern pop stars.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   

The fact that his idiotic song is so popular is something that I find hilarious, it's like his whole existence is a farce to put an even larger farce, the imbecility of the music industry, in perspective.

Could you have any more of an elitist attitude? It's like the kid that likes "underground" hardcore music making fun of the kids that liked Blink 182.

Your mentality is so high school underground hipster it's not even funny.

People like what they like, get over it. It's all entertainment.

edit on 8-12-2012 by ShotGunRum because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join