It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Gangnam Style’ Singer PSY’s Vitriolic Anti-American Past Revealed, Outrage Ensues

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Well I know that now, not really obvious seeing as you don't post where you live in your avatar details - and I'm not psychic you know.

If you expect people to know where you are from then it helps to tell them first.

Apart from that, everything else I said applies. Just replace the word "you" with "Americans". Simple really.......

EDIT: Please tell me you aren't falling for the "He's Anti-American" nonsense? It's bad when Americans accuse detractors of 'hatred' but even worse when someone else who isn't American falls for it. Nothing of what I have said is even REMOTELY "Anti-American Hatred". Stop talking bull#.
edit on 8/12/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ShotGunRum

Yep, I'm a bit of a humble narcissist; I'm well aware of, and quick to express, my flaws and indifferent to most criticisms. What I listen for in music is different than most people, I've come to find. I become deeply upset when I see "artists" like Flo Rida absolutely butcher other artists' work, in this case Avicii's "Levels," and pass it off as their own. Etta James, the woman who is sampled in "Levels" and Flo Rida's "Good Feeling," is rolling in her grave.

In case you haven't heard the songs:

In regards to PSY, his music is a generic blend of Western pop and Kpop; there's nothing groundbreaking about it, but I do enjoy it more than most Western pop because it's not so damn try-hard. I probably just think that because I don't understand the lyrics, though.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   

I'm very much into hardcore, grindcore, and powerviolence, so I do know Hatebreed and what the music is about. Again, though, I'm just comparing the lyrical content of PSY's anti-American verse to that of Hatebreed's. By the way, if you want to hear some great stochastic, aggressive, heavy music, I suggest the new Gaza album and Architect's "All is not Lost" album.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

By that logic there's no need for you be posting in it either yet here you are. You also have an agenda.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

So you're complaining that somebody is pretending to like Americans just to get their money when you live in a country that practically invented that technique?

If you really want to go there then I suppose he would never have said what he said then retracted it had he not learnt it from the best.

Or better yet, had those American soldiers not raped and killed those Korean girls and gotten away with it he would never have said what he said in the first place? I mean HOW DARE HE say anything bad about America in those circumstances right?

I could go on all night with this mate.....

edit on 8/12/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

Touche.
While I agree with you, the corporations that are robbing America keep their hatred to themselves. They don't sing and dance like an epileptic horse in front of a bunch of veterans after pissing all over them, so to speak.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
reply to post by Kryties

By that logic there's no need for you be posting in it either yet here you are. You also have an agenda.

Nope, no agenda other than reason and pointing out hypocrisy.

Nice try though.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy
They don't sing and dance like an epileptic horse in front of a bunch of veterans after pissing all over them, so to speak.

That's probably because they are in the business of Finance, not Music. Their motto is to rob you blind while smiling to your face. Personally, I think that is more cowardly than speaking your mind to a public audience.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

Flo Rida is party music....people in 2012 do not want to listen to Etta James at the club. And if you haven't noticed rappers tend to rap over others peoples beats...very few rappers are producers or beat makers. He didn't pass it off as his own, everyone knows the chances of him making the beat is .1%. They clearly signed the rights over to him and made a whole bunch of money off of it. Why aren't you crying that Avicii butchers Etta James by sampling her vocals in some generic pop trance (which took about 20 minutes to make, if that) beat?

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

I'm very much into hardcore, grindcore, and powerviolence,

LOL...and you're hating on pop music. I really hope you're a teenager.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

reply to post by GrandStrategy

Those soldiers don't try to pass themselves off as Pro-Middle Eastern pop stars.

Assuming he's trying to pass himself off as something that he isn't. It's completely feasible that in the space of 8 years he's changed his views completely and there is no contradiction

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
Who cares?

For a country that upholds "Freedom of Speech" as an inherent right, isn't it rather hypocritical to stomp on someone elses right to have their own opinion? Or is it that anything Anti-American doesn't apply to the "Freedom of Speech" law?

Unbelievable.

Who cares? Remember when the Dixie Chics dissed President Bush?

During a London concert ten days before the 2003 invasion of Iraq, lead vocalist Maines said, "we don't want this war, this violence, and we're ashamed that the President of the United States [George W. Bush] is from Texas"

The positive reaction to this statement from the British audience contrasted with the boycotts that ensued in the U.S., where "the band was assaulted by talk-show conservatives",[2] while their albums were discarded in public protest.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

You are not debating music on the same grounds.
You obviously have no idea what really is artistic music, you are not a musician or a composer.

Speaking against some types of music or artists isn't a "teenage thing" when you are really into music, the history of music and the composition of music. I'm a composer myself, so I don't see this with the same eye that you do.

Most pop music really does suck from a musical standpoint and a lyrical standpoint too. The originality is at an all time low, talented AND popular musicians is also at an all time low.

I find almost all of pop music today repugnant, from my musician point of view.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I would feel the same way if that stuff happened to my friends and family over here.
I would also want whatever country that did this to me to suffer.

I doesn't matter that he is a sh**y pop star. He sounded legitimately pissed of a few years back in his rant.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Its not hypocrisy to dislike someone. But no matter what since I'm the American all the haters are gonna hate. Thats fine by me.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Apparently PSY, the genius behind the song, "Gangam Style,"

I fail to see how taking advantage of peoples natural racism makes him a genius.

I finally got suckered into watching that the other day, was the most god awful POS I've ever seen. If anything, it directly degrades his people.

Why was it such a hit? Because the music was that great? Or because the lil'Korean guy made a fool of himself?

One step away from old school anti-Japanese propaganda.
edit on 8-12-2012 by Chargeit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
One more reason for me to love PSY
We both hate the same thing.
F*ck America
All you Patriots who wanna rage because I said that line single up file
I'll deal with each of ya

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I listen to a wide range of music, and this ain't the 80's, teenagers hardly know what hardcore is. Flo Rida is to music as Piero Manzoni's can full of human feces is to art. Avicii's "Levels" could stand alone without sampling Etta James. Even if the track was made in a span of a few hours using Fruity Loops, Avicii did a decent job of integrating James' vocals. If Flo Rida had put out a decent song, I would have gladly credited him for it, but instead he samples a hook and raps nonsensical garbage in the verses. There is no talent, let alone critical thinking, that goes into his music whatsoever. It is brain-rupt, which makes it hard for me to appreciate.

Read the first verse from Flo Rida:

Yes I can, doubt that I leave, I'm running with this plan
Pull me, grab me, crabs in the bucket can't have me
I'll be the president one day
January first, oh, you like that gossip
Like you the one drinking what God sip dot com

Might as well read, "DURR DUP DURHHURR DURPPP HURUR HRURURHU RR HURR PREZIDANT ONE DAY HURRR DURR BAAAAWWWW"

Now read J.R. Hayes of Pig Destroyer:

My skin has atrophied.
It has been so long since the last touch.
The maggots play their dead instruments for me.
Devour in the key of E.
Like a symphony of throats and piano wire.
Like explosions in space and prostitutes of fire.

Can you see where my dislike for nonsensical pop trash comes from? Listening to pop, for me, is like beating my head into a wall repeatedly; I can feel my braincells disappearing.
J.R. Hayes' lyrics are profoundly beautiful, intelligent thought went into writing them. The same can't be said for Flo Rida. Yes, Flo Rida's music is suited for a different audience, but that doesn't mean he can't at least TRY to write lyrics that make sense.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

In regards to PSY, his music is a generic blend of Western pop and Kpop; there's nothing groundbreaking about it, but I do enjoy it more than most Western pop because it's not so damn try-hard. I probably just think that because I don't understand the lyrics, though.

The song and the clip of "Gangnam style" are parodying the elite in Korea. The dance you see represents the elite and their children riding their expensive horses and ponies and there are expensive cars ,woman and locations shown in the clip to support the theme.

Now you know what the song and dance are about

Other then that i have seen loads of americans in the media demanding the death of ppl in other countries , especially but not exclusively after 9/11.

Be No Hypocrite Now

edit on 8-12-2012 by Rubic0n because: typ-0

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

You are defending the comments about wanting the slaying of innocent families...think about your comments. don't keep using threads to bash the USA just because you can.
edit on 8-12-2012 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join