It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What on earth is happening to children in America?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
If I had grown up during these times, I would have been in a lot of trouble. With police in the schools I'd probably have been arrested numerous times. They would have put me on tons of drugs, and I would have had a jacket of diagnoses longer than I was tall. And with the current overall quality of education, I'd probably have been too dumb to know that there was anything wrong. Oh, and I probably would have weighed 3 bills by middle school. Long live the Xbox and boob tube!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Ewww

Gs

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Reply to post by KarensHoliday

I would agree with the sentiment of changes in diagnostics over the last 50 years as the main reason for the numercial shift. We just didn't diagnose many things like we do today, 50 years ago.

As far as the kids being fat; it has to do with the FACT that children's activities are different today and often sedentary. I was just speaking about this the other day. When I was a kid I played stickball everyday and handball, football and such. Today when I drive through a neighborhood and pass a schoolyard, I cannot even find a chalk strikezone on the wall. The kids just aren't nearly as active outside any longer. They're inside playing Nintendos and whatnot. Theres nothing wrong with videogames, but there has to be balance. For every hour one plays a videogame, he/she should match that tv time with outside time.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
As far as vaccinations go...

1/88 children having autism > 1 in 50 children dieing from Polio/MMR.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by sajuek

Not all vaccines are bad. They only cause problems in a limited amount of people. I see a need for some of the childhood vaccines. Maybe they should spend some time improving these vaccines though. When the vaccine is created and it only negatively effects a small percentage of the population they decide that is acceptable. It is acceptable as long as you are not the one who it screws up in my book. I would not want to be someone who had a child that was effected. By forcing everyone to get these vaccines to get into school, they are sentencing a few kids to a life of distress. This isn't right either.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by KarensHoliday

In this country you live to work, not work to live. THAT'S what's wrong with kids. STRESS.

Here's what's wrong with children - parents being extremely overworked beyond their wits, not having enough time for their children. And I don't mean time to go to the mall or out to dinner, I mean QUALITY TIME. My ADHD, my BPD, my weight gain, my anxiety, my depression, my rebellion it all started when I moved to this country.

Before we moved to the states, my dad and I would come home for lunch for 2 hours (yes, even schools let you out in the middle of the day for a nice lunch brea). We'd all eat as a family, take a nap, maybe practice target shooting or play NES, then I'd go back to school and he would go to work. Vacation time for him was a month of paid leave.

And when we moved here? He had 4 days vacation in the entire year and a 30 minute lunch break. We never ate together because I would eat at school and when he would get home, he'd to straight to the couch where he'd pass out from sheer exhaustion.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Let's make this simple. Can you say GMO Foods! I knew you could!!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucas73
Also some of these people who would have died due to allergies or an asthma attack in the past are now surviving childhood, becoming parents to 2 or 3 kids and passing on their 'bad genes' to yet another bigger generation.
Survival of the fittest has been circumvented by medicine and science and the numbers of "special people" in society will continue to grow until either we become able to manipulate genes to eradicate these maladies OR medical intervention becomes so expensive that it is beyond the finances of the average family and they die off.
Here's hoping some of these peoples problems are psychosomatic.
edit on 6/12/2012 by Lucas73 because: (no reason given)

I think this is fairly accurate.
Downs kids, mentally handicapped, and children born with physical deformities would have died long ago, but now they live and many times have kids and pass on the genes.
edit on 7-12-2012 by coop039 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by cassiper

As far as obesity, get off the wheat flour. Cut way back or eliminate: pizza, macaroni, hamburgers, cereals etc. Quit eating it if you can. I did and lost twenty pounds in a month--thirty pounds in two months.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Against my better judgement I'll post a reply if I can stop crying long enough... or maybe it's laughter, as a Social Scientist it's difficult to tell the difference anymore these days. At least this OP question is a small step above the social dribble lately found on ATS.

Unfortunately, reading as many posts as I could stomach some truths jump out with the most obvious is the lack of original thoughts although some hit upon a few trees while missing the forest in which the parrots are jabbering loudly but saying nothing.

All of you are products of a very very sick society unless you have done time consuming work on yourself (which few have these days). You all exhibit almost endless psychological dysfunctions primary of which is the inability to see the forest for the trees.

Everybody senses things are seriously awry with the children produced in America. But the fact is that something is seriously "wrong" with the kids produced over the past 40 years. In 4 generations we've seen this country blossom with Breeders and the Eaters that produced slugs and zombies.

America produces nothing of substance these days because we don't have the ability. Everything is missing from the equation because of a lack of Will to do any better, and thus, we all realize that nothing better is coming to us, just down and less less less..

Nothing will be done in my lifetime to correct these trends, it's too late for America now. So without distracting attention with hundreds of social "trees" maybe better to make simple and reduce them to the root cause:

In almost every society, at almost every time in history, the responsibility for raising children falls to the mothers and it's long been known that a child's emotion and thought patterns are irrevocably formed in the first seven years of life, and then repeated over and over again.

Thus, women are solely responsible for the children raised over the past 40 years because they have total authority within both society and the home... but then, when was the last time anybody saw most women take responsibility for anything? Not surprising that their kids don't either.

Over and over again one culprit: poor parenting. "Parenting?" Ha. Motherhood is the Sacred Cow, untouchable "cows" both literally and figuratively... most fathers have been divorced and marginalized from their children's lives leaving women to raise kids with the same skill they drive cars...

The results are in along with the test scores, and mothers have failed miserably at their one God-given task. No one else is responsible for what a kid eats, thinks, does... for 18 years and most of their kids will never recover from childhood... or from an education (ha ha) delivered in a system dominated by women.

Isn't it funny to see the mothers pointing the finger at the schools, and the "educators" pointing the finger at the home, without seeing the common denominators that both are women and neither group will take responsibility for the products produced? Very amusing social engineering, don't you think?

Historically, great societies recognize women are incapable of raising men. All they raise are little girls, and little boys that forever think like little girls, The solution is to get the male children away from women's influence as quickly as possible and eventually restore the male energy that our society desperately lacks.

Separate schools for boys and girls. The same as the Elites do... and notice that the majority of teachers in the Elite schools are men. Gee, I wonder why? America in it's rush to meaningless political correctness (and enforced social incorrectness), has forgotten basic truths... and the lessons behind them.

The poetic justice in this is that women have alienated their men and guaranteed that the children they raised won't be able to support them in old age, or themselves anytime. Simple truths.
edit on 7-12-2012 by Brown Bear because: add context

edit on 7-12-2012 by Brown Bear because: add context after power failure

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by cassp83

-1 in 54 males has autism (I do not believe that almost 20% of male children have autism...over-diagnosed)

edit on 6-12-2012 by cassp83 because: deleted

How does 1 in 54 equal 20%?

I'll agree with what you said about whole, organic foods being a viable solution. Food is medicine, and more specifically, preventative medicine. Young America's diet truly is out of control.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by KarensHoliday
-1 in 3 is overweight
-1 in 6 has learning disabilities
-1 in 9 has asthma
-1 in 10 has ADHD
-1 in 12 has food allergies
-1 in 20 has seizures
-1 in 54 males has autism
-1 in 88 has autism

1 in 1000 have 2 sets of eyes
1 in 300 have 2 mouths

Statistics taken from ... your avatar

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Can't a lot of these problems be attributed partially to the estrogen ingested in a lifetime from plastics?
edit on 7-12-2012 by jessejamesxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brown Bear
Against my better judgement I'll post a reply if I can stop crying long enough... or maybe it's laughter, as a Social Scientist it's difficult to tell the difference anymore these days. At least this OP question is a small step above the social dribble lately found on ATS.

Unfortunately, reading as many posts as I could stomach some truths jump out with the most obvious is the lack of original thoughts although some hit upon a few trees while missing the forest in which the parrots are jabbering loudly but saying nothing.

All of you are products of a very very sick society unless you have done time consuming work on yourself (which few have these days). You all exhibit almost endless psychological dysfunctions primary of which is the inability to see the forest for the trees.

So basically, you're highly narcissistic. Check.

Everybody senses things are seriously awry with the children produced in America. But the fact is that something is seriously "wrong" with the kids produced over the past 40 years. In 4 generations we've seen this country blossom with Breeders and the Eaters that produced slugs and zombies.

America produces nothing of substance these days because we don't have the ability. Everything is missing from the equation because of a lack of Will to do any better, and thus, we all realize that nothing better is coming to us, just down down down.

Yea, tell that to Texas Instruments, Dell, Raytheon, Apple, Ford, GM, NASA, etc, etc...basically, you're full of poo.

Nothing will be done in my lifetime to correct these trends, it's too late for America now. So without distracting attention with hundreds of social "trees" maybe better to make simple and reduce them to the root cause:

In almost every society, at almost every time in history, the responsibility for raising children falls to the mothers and it's long been known that a child's emotion and thought patterns are irrevocably formed in the first seven years of life, and then repeated over and over again.

Thus, women are solely responsible for the children raised over the past 40 years because they have total authority within both society and the home... but then, when was the last time anybody saw most women take responsibility for anything? Not surprising that their kids don't either.

How the hell are you a social scientist? It's both parents who historically raise the child. If pa has to go to war or work insane hours, that's another story, but it's obviously best to have both energies produce a balanced child. We see this most easily by the high rates of sociopathy when the father is absent.

You don't think women take responsibility for things? You're just a sexist idiot. I see both sexes displaying a lack of responsibility regularly. I know many women who are highly responsible. For shame.

Over and over again one culprit: poor parenting. "Parenting?" Ha. Motherhood is the Sacred Cow, untouchable "cows" both literally and figuratively... most fathers have been divorced and marginalized from their children's lives leaving women to raise kids with the same skill they drive cars...

I'm guessing you just lied, erm exaggerated, yea let's keep it PC
, that statistic.

The results are in along with the test scores, and mothers have failed miserably at their one God-given task. No one else is responsible for what a kid eats, thinks, does... and most of their kids will never recover from childhood... or from an education (ha ha) delivered by women.

So you think that moms must raise their child alone, yet men must teach them in the educational institutions? Don't you see a contradiction here? Education is part of raising a child.

A solution? Historically, great societies recognize women are incapable of raising boys. All they raise are little girls. The solution is to get the male children away from women's influence as quickly as possible and eventually restore the male energy that our society so desperately lacks.

You are ignorant. What you're describing is only partially correct in patriarchy. We live in a hybrid culture between patriarchy and matriarchy. Apparently, your education has failed you as well, and you haven't seen the many successful examples of the many variations which successfully exist. In matriarchy, the children are their own little community which self-teaches their selves. It worked well for a long time.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
With all we do to ourselves and our children is it any wonder we are having these problems?
Food Additives, Genetic Modification of foods, chemical treatments of foods, treating symptoms with drugs instead of finding the cause and treating it, some vaccinations and the chemicals used to carry the vaccines (mercury???).

-1 in 3 is overweight
Many factors contribute to becoming overweight. Genetics, lifestyle habits, or a combination of both may be involved. In some instances, endocrine problems, genetic syndromes, and medications can be associated with excessive weight gain.
Much of what we eat is quick and easy, from fat-laden fast food to microwave and prepackaged meals. High fructose corn syrup and/or sugar in virtually everything we eat or drink. Daily schedules are so packed that there is little time to prepare healthy meals or to exercise. Portion sizes, in the home and out, have grown greatly.
Plus, kids spend more time playing with electronic devices, from computers to handheld video game systems, than actively playing outside.

-1 in 6 has learning disabilities
Dyslexia – a language-based disability in which a person has trouble with specific language skills, particularly reading.
Dyscalculia – a mathematical disability in which a person has a difficult time solving arithmetic problems and grasping math concepts.
Dysgraphia – a writing disability in which a person finds it hard to form letters, write within a defined space and express ideas.
Previously these problems were treated with extra help in those particular areas either by the teaching staff, usually, or with the help of the parents.
Some cases of this, not all, can be attributed to laziness on the part of the child, the teachers and parents. This is my opinion based on my experience with some of my children and my father who is Dyslexic (Diagnosed when he was young as having Mirror Vision).

-1 in 9 has asthma

It is believed that the recent increased rates of asthma are due to environmental changes.
(Read POLUTION).
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

-1 in 10 has ADHD
Quite possibly the most over diagnosed condition that has ever existed in the history of medicine.

A study published in the Journal of Health Economics determined that about 20 percent of children have likely been misdiagnosed. That’s nearly 1 million children in the United States alone.
The study found that many of the youngest children in any given grade level are perceived as exhibiting “symptoms” of ADHD, such as fidgeting and inability to concentrate, simply because they’re younger and being compared to their older, more mature classmates.
In fact, the youngest students were 60 percent more likely to be diagnosed with ADHD than the oldest in the same grade. And when you take into account the maturity level, and in large part normal behavior of a 6 versus a 7-year old, you can easily see why.

articles.mercola.com...

-1 in 12 has food allergies
This could be a result not of allergies to specific foods but rather an allergy to the additives and preservatives in our foods as well as the chemicals used to grow them, and we won’t even get into the genetic modification of our foods.

-1 in 20 has seizures
Depending on the type of seizure, this can also be caused by food, as in hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia.

-1 in 54 males has autism
-1 in 88 has autism

Scientists aren’t certain about what causes ASD, but it’s likely that both genetics and environment play a role. Researchers have identified a number of genes associated with the disorder. Studies of people with ASD have found irregularities in several regions of the brain. Other studies suggest that people with ASD have abnormal levels of serotonin or other neurotransmitters in the brain. These abnormalities suggest that ASD could result from the disruption of normal brain development early in fetal development caused by defects in genes that control brain growth and that regulate how brain cells communicate with each other, possibly due to the influence of environmental factors on gene function. While these findings are intriguing, they are preliminary and require further study. The theory that parental practices are responsible for ASD has long been disproved.

www.ninds.nih.gov...
That being said there is a correlation between the age of one or both parents and the likelihood of the child being autistic.
www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I blame parenting. I watch parents feed babies ice cream and mc dee chicken nuggets as their diet.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

GMO food, fluoride & aspartame are at the top 3 causes of the things you've mentioned... but also inclusive, (put out by the same corporate shills), fat foods, many of the chemicals in 'vaccines' and pharmaceuticals, the chemicals in the areosol spraying program... barium, aluminium and other chemicals. And of course, many psychological factors in our society..

This is just my personal view, but the seperation of matter and spirit is another cause...

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by kev_i_f_ont

oh and of course... THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA that propogates the nonsense that most of the stuff i mentioned are safe and people just blindly believe it... the Mass Media is the top culprit and the people who run and control it.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Maybe it's because of Genetically modified processed foods and the poisoning of our tap water. 60 % of bottled water in the U.S is tap water and tap water contains fluoride. Fluoride damages lots of parts of your body and it can cause Autism but it damages the hippocampus and the way we think critically and it is known to lower IQ and make people submissive. Hitler made Jews drink fluoride water in concentration camps so they could stay submissive. Also the mercury that our government puts into our vaccines not just mercury thiers other gross things like formaldehyde and animal viruses. The U.S.A has been trying to dumb down the people of America.

So much money is put into education but education in america continues to decline.
edit on 7-12-2012 by DivineVictory because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-12-2012 by DivineVictory because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

That's easy.
1. McDonalds
2. immunization

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join