It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Typhoon Pablo heading straight for Philippines

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
The Philippines are about to get a direct hit from a large typhoon (hurricane).

Signal number 1 was also raised in Surigao del Sur, Surigao del Norte, including Siargao Island, Dinagat Island, Agusan del Norte, Agusan del Sur, Davao Oriental, Davao del Norte, including Samal Island, Compostela Valley, Bukidnon, Misamis Oriental and Camiguin.

At 10 p.m. Sunday, the eye of Typhoon Pablo was located at 810 kilometers (km) southeast of Hinatuan, Surigao del Sur, with maximum sustained winds of 185 kph near the center and gustiness of up to 220 kph.

It is forecast to move west northwest at 26 kph. Typhoon Pablo is expected to be at 235 km east of Hinatuan, Surigao del Sur by Monday evening. By Tuesday evening, it will be in the vicinity of Iloilo City and at 430 km west of Coron Island by Wednesday evening.

The estimated rainfall amount is from 20 to 30 mm per hour (heavy - intense) within the 700 km diameter of the typhoon.

link

Here's the only US coverage I could find:

Ramos says evacuations of villagers may be carried out as it becomes clear where the typhoon will hit.

abcgo

Best of luck and blessings to those in Philippines in the way of this storm.
edit on 2-12-2012 by pianopraze because: typo

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I guess nobody out there cares.
I am on hi alert for this one. Last time a typhoon took this path was 1990 and it screwed things up bad for only a cat one. This one may decrease from a 4 to a 1 if we are Lucky in Cebu. South part of Negros and northern Mindanao are going to be in the hurt locker.

I've got 50kg of rice, a bunch of tins and a bug out bag incase this howler turns a bit north to Cebu city.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by The Great Day

There are big storms all the time. Unless they are in America, you are right no one cares.

Pretty typical.

Best of luck in the Philipines.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by magma

Actually, I spend more time looking at storms in that area then I do storms here unless it is close to me. I have someone in the area that means the world to me.

First stop every morning is RSOE for SE Asia.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
www.typhoon2000.ph...
Worst since 1970.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
That's terrible news... it's friggin December and there are typhoons, but of course global warming is a myth. Must be an imaginary typhoon as well, just ignore it.

Seriously though, my uncle and his family live in the Philippines, though I couldn't tell you where.

I wish everyone there the very best.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

what does global warming have too do with them getting typhoons during their storm season, not sure I see the connection???

Just confused because for the southern hemisphere its just the beginning of there violent weather season and should be ready and prepared for more storms to come.

SaneThinking

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaneThinking

what does global warming have too do with them getting typhoons during their storm season, not sure I see the connection???

Just confused because for the southern hemisphere its just the beginning of there violent weather season and should be ready and prepared for more storms to come.

SaneThinking
its actually June to November here so should be done.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by The Great Day

Is it only India, Austrailia and Africa that have the season from December to March then I thought it was for the entire Southern Hemisphere??? Could be wrong but thats what I was under the impression of.... And that our season in North America ran from July to November??

SaneThinking

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SaneThinking

They are north of the equator, but granted, not by much. I'm seeing June - November on the interwebs as typhoon season....... just the same, I hope everyone as safe as they can be.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Great Day
I guess nobody out there cares.
I am on hi alert for this one. Last time a typhoon took this path was 1990 and it screwed things up bad for only a cat one. This one may decrease from a 4 to a 1 if we are Lucky in Cebu. South part of Negros and northern Mindanao are going to be in the hurt locker.

I've got 50kg of rice, a bunch of tins and a bug out bag incase this howler turns a bit north to Cebu city.

I care.

I was very disheartened no one was replying.

Here's update. It sounds bad:

44 areas now under storm signals

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

MANILA -- The state weather agency placed on Monday night 44 areas in the country under storm warning signals as Typhoon "Pablo" (international codename: Bopha) continues to threaten Mindanao and Visayas regions.

The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa), in its 11 p.m. weather bulletin, said Pablo has maintained its strength as it continues to threaten the provinces of Davao Oriental and Surigao Del Sur.

Placed under storm warning signal number 3 are the provinces of Surigao del Norte, Siargao, Surigao del Sur, Dinagat, Agusan del Norte, Agusan del Sur, Misamis Oriental, Camiguin, Bukidnon, Davao Oriental, Compostela Valley, North Cotabato, Lanao del Sur, Lanao del Norte, Davao del Norte and Samal Island. These areas in Mindanao, Pagasa said, will experience winds up to 101-185 kilometer per hour (kph).

Under storm signal number 2 (61-100 kph winds) are provinces of Southern Leyte, Bohol, Cebu, Camotes Island, Negros Oriental, Negros Occidental, Siquijor, Misamis Occidental, Davao del Sur, Zamboanga del Norte, Zamboanga del Sur, Sultan Kudarat and Maguindanao.

Pagasa also placed the provinces of Palawan, Calamian Group Of Islands, Eastern Samar, Western Samar, Leyte, Biliran, Aklan, Capiz, Antique, Iloilo, Guimaras, Zamboanga Sibugay, Basilan, Sarangani, and South Cotabato under storm signal number 1 (30-60 kph winds).

As of 10 p.m. Monday, Pagasa located Pablo at 230 kilometers (km) southeast of Hinatuan, Surigao del Sur.

With maximum sustained winds of 175 kph near the center and gustiness of up to 210 kph, the typhoon is moving west at 26 kph, the country's weather bureau said.

link

This is a direct hit and could hit two big population centers. This could get very bad in a country that has many people struggling to make it.

My prayers are with you all.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Osiris1953
That's terrible news... it's friggin December and there are typhoons, but of course global warming is a myth. Must be an imaginary typhoon as well, just ignore it.

Hurricanes have happened in December quite a few times. Since 1771, there have been 13 hurricanes in December, in the Atlantic alone. That's not counting ones that started in November, and went into December. The Pacific has only been recorded since 1949, and just since then there have been 8. So while it's not common, it's not unheard of either, and isn't necessarily global warming related. The strength might have to do with global warming, but the formation doesn't necessarily.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I hope they have set up emergency relief supplies into areas likely to take a direct hit from this it saddens me to hear..Pablo sounds like a monster typhoon (hurricane)...My prayers go out to all over there and yes i do care..peace,sugarcookie1
edit on 3-12-2012 by sugarcookie1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

The council said the Department of Social Welfare and Development had allocated P42.35 million worth of relief goods for affected provinces, including P3.7 million in stand-by funds. Prepacked food items were ready to be distributed to some 10,000 families in Mindanao, the agency said.

newsinfo.inquirer.net...

It currently has sustained winds of about 108-130 mph, which puts it in the upper end of a Cat II hurricane, and just in the Category III Typhoon scale.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
259 kilometers per hour CAT 5 Super Typhoon now reported

www.abs-cbnnews.com...

things got some jam!

edit on 3-12-2012 by Frank Dinkle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Frank Dinkle

This is one of the reasons that the Hurricane Hunters are so valuable. The wind strength is currently based on computer models from three sources. With the WC-130s, you KNOW what the strength is, and what it's going to do, instead of having to base it on models. The models are usually pretty accurate, but pretty accurate in this situation sometimes isn't the best.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Great Day

Originally posted by SaneThinking

SaneThinking
its actually June to November here so should be done.

Yep, usually there is one in the beginning of November, but it seems this year its pushed to the beginning of December... I just hope we get some rain in Northern Luzon, it's been dry for awhile and the plants could really use the water.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I am definitely paying close attention to Pablo as I have family in the Visayas. I've read a couple news sources that this could be as bad as the 1990, Ruping? It's a terrifying situation being in the direction of a typhoon when you're on an small island with houses like the one my grandparents and cousins live in.

Sending all my love to the Philippines tonight.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Storm is now directly south of Visayas and has weakend significantly. Here in Cebu city its fine but southern tip and Negros will have damage but not catastrophic like it would be when it first made landfall on Mindanao.
Officials have taken this one seriously forcing many sea side and river bank evacuations including our island since they got much criticism from last years Sendong storm that followed a similar path killing over 1400.

Waiting for more damage reports.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join