It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evangelist Lives As Gay Man For 1 Year In Hopes Of Changing His Mind.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

You cannot prove a negative. It is impossible to prove that something doesn't exist. There is no arguing this, it is set in stone, period.

On the other hand, it should be possible to prove that God exists, especially after fanatics have been talking about him and studying him and killing other people because of him for a few thousand years. Yet all we have for proof is words of men and dogmatic belief.

So being that we are logical people please go ahead and prove your God exists, before you go on telling other people what they should and shouldn't do based on that God.

I can't believe we are having this conversation in 2012. There really is no chance for humanity. The abundance of idiots makes that very clear.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Hate the sin, love the sinner.

It's a blurry line to accept a homosexual person as a special unique God created human being without accepting the lifestyle as acceptable. It's the same line when being friends with an alcoholic or habitual liar. Jesus was perfect at it. Nobody else is or will be. I am friends with a few open homosexuals. I am a blunt kind of person (to a fault) and have told them I have no problems being their friend but will never accept or condone the homosexual lifestyle. Honestly I have been surprised by their reaction. The ones I know don't care. Several said so what we won't condone your heterosexual lifestyle. I knew I'd get along fine with those types. I haven't personally met any of the fanatics who march in parades and campaign publicly to "be accepted", but I don't think we'd get along.

link   
reply to post by sputniksteve

You cannot prove a negative. It is impossible to prove that something doesn't exist. There is no arguing this, it is set in stone, period.

Thank you for proving my point. It is only your opinion that God does not exist. You clearly cannot prove this opinion.

telling other people what they should and shouldn't do based on that God.

Are you assuming that is what I do? Again, just your opinion likely based on a stereotype. Again, realize that when you go into the classrooms and tell children they must believe that your way is the best, are you not forcing your opinions on them? Why are liberals so intent on forcing their opinions on the populace? Your argument that they are more tolerant simply does not wash out, as it is easy to see how transparently intolerant they are of other people's opinions.
edit on 3-12-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

link   
Awesome story.

He said he 'lived the lifestyle' in Nashville. I'm thinking that's a pretty subdued part of the country to be gay in. People are probably very quiet about it. I'm wondering how he would have felt 'living the lifestyle' in another part of the country .. one more open .. more 'flaming' (for lack of a better word). Someplace like Providence or San Francisco or New Orleans etc etc .... Like anything else, I imagine different parts of the country have a different flavor and a different openness.

Anyways, kudos to the evangelist.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by VelvetSplash
Maybe I skipped over it - but where in the article did it say he had physical and romantic relationships with other men?

No. He lived the lifestyle but stopped short of anything physical with his faux-boyfriend.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

No you obviously don't get it.

Until you prove God exists, he doesn't. Period. All we have is opinions of people that do believe he exists. This isn't up for debate, there is no clever way to turn this around on my beliefs. It is what it is. God doesn't exists. It is only your opinion that he does. End of discussion.

So please, prove the existence of God. I have been trying to my whole life and I can't do it, and I could really use some help.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Aesir26

I would like to add that I am not against homosexuals per se.
I am only arguing against a suggestion made in an earlier post that Christ would be supportive of homosexuality.

Jesus is anti-matter, not anti-gay. As Paul wrote, we struggle against the flesh only to become more spiritual.
Straight; gay: both gravitate like an inverted pentagram heavily in the wrong direction.

Remit, not rebuke. Love, not lust.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Hate the sin, love the sinner.

Patronising platitude cop-out.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by sputniksteve

No you obviously don't get it.

Until you prove God exists, he doesn't. Period. All we have is opinions of people that do believe he exists. This isn't up for debate, there is no clever way to turn this around on my beliefs. It is what it is. God doesn't exists. It is only your opinion that he does. End of discussion.

So please, prove the existence of God. I have been trying to my whole life and I can't do it, and I could really use some help.

No, YOU don't get it. You cannot disprove God's existence, and yet you declared in no uncertain terms that God does not exist.

I am waiting for you to disprove God's existence to make your opinion truth.
edit on 3-12-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Until you prove God exists, he doesn't. Period.

Isn't that the same thing as the physicians a few hundred years ago saying ... 'until you prove germs exist, they don't. Period'??

Those people didn't believe germs were real. Germs had been discussed as a possibility amongst scientists and doctors, but most said 'hogwash'. And yet, even though at that time it couldn't be proven that germs were real .. they were indeed real. Evidence of the germs were everywhere (in sickness and diseases) even though the germs themselves were too small to see .. YET.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Awesome story.

He said he 'lived the lifestyle' in Nashville. I'm thinking that's a pretty subdued part of the country to be gay in. People are probably very quiet about it. I'm wondering how he would have felt 'living the lifestyle' in another part of the country .. one more open .. more 'flaming' (for lack of a better word). Someplace like Providence or San Francisco or New Orleans etc etc .... Like anything else, I imagine different parts of the country have a different flavor and a different openness.

Anyways, kudos to the evangelist.

The whole thing is a ploy for publicity and so he can use it as some kind of backward proof that homosexuality is a choice or something stupid like that. He didn't do anything special by any means. Gay people aren't defined by what they do outside of sexual relations. They are defined only by who they stick their weiners in or want to stick their weiners in. You can't say I talked with a lisp for a month and wore tight clothes and say I was acting gay. There are straight people that have lisps and wear tight cloths.

Unless he had sex with a man, he was not living any kind of gay lifestyle. He was simply doing things out of the norm for his normal behavior. This whole thing is stupid and only benefits the religious. This is demeaning and insulting to anyone with a brain.

I offered them up a man that was sexually abused as a child that is neither gay or a prostitute but they passed right over that because that is just what they do. They are the most ignorant of all people on the planet, they cannot think for themselves or see that what they have been told is incorrect for fear of some kind.

I am not afraid, I don't need a bridle to get through life.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I am 100% sure that God exists. I have had three times that the Divine touched my soul. When it happens .. there is no question about it. You don't have to wonder ... 'hey, did God just speak to my soul?" Nope. When it happens it is HUGE and OVERPOWERING and VERY REAL.

And no .. none of these three times happened during a prayer meeting or a 'whoop it up' bible camp or anything like that. They came out of the blue .. when I wasn't expecting anything ...

The proof I'm giving you is anecdotal. Which means you can take it or leave it.
But since you said 'I could really use some help' ... I thought I'd share with you.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

The whole thing is a ploy for publicity and so he can use it as some kind of backward proof that homosexuality is a choice or something stupid like that.

It could be a ploy for publicity to sell a book ... sure ... but I'm not seeing any publicity ploy to say that homosexuality is a choice. Looks more like it's a fella who is trying to understand others and love them as God wants us all to love each other. But whatever .. take his story or leave it as you wish ....

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

No one can prove god exists or doesn't exist. As long as no one tries to force me to believe anything, I don't care what they worship. How bout for the sake of conversation in this thread you two treat God as if he/she/it were Schrödinger's cat.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Until you prove God exists, he doesn't. Period.

Isn't that the same thing as the physicians a few hundred years ago saying ... 'until you prove germs exist, they don't. Period'??

Those people didn't believe germs were real. Germs had been discussed as a possibility amongst scientists and doctors, but most said 'hogwash'. And yet, even though at that time it couldn't be proven that germs were real .. they were indeed real. Evidence of the germs were everywhere (in sickness and diseases) even though the germs themselves were too small to see .. YET.

To a certain degree yes it is the same. Until germs were proven to exist, they didn't exist. Like I said, I have been trying to prove the existence of God my whole life, I am open to it. I can't do it, no matter how hard I try. So I am asking for help to say lets do it once and for all and stop this discussion. It appears it is more important to banter about my proving a negative instead.

We can talk about the theory of Germs and God all day long. Until something is proven to exist, it is only theory.

Edit: Please don't think that I only have a problem with Christians. I have a problem with all religions. The difference between germs and God is that people have been killing each other over their belief in God for thousands and thousands of years and it is wasteful. I don't assume any of you are killing people over religion, but you aren't helping either. I think it is disgusting what people do to each other because of religious ideas.
edit on 12/3/2012 by sputniksteve because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Until germs were proven to exist, they didn't exist.

They existed .. but people couldn't see them yet. They were too small. But their effects were around enough that people knew something had to be there so they went looking for it. And eventually they found it. Seems to be the same kind of thing with God .... at least to me it looks the same.

Like I said, I have been trying to prove the existence of God my whole life, I am open to it. I can't do it, no matter how hard I try.

That's fine. One day it'll happen and you'll smack yourself in the forehead and say 'oh man, how could I have missed that'.
Seriously though .. I appreciate your search and I hope it goes well for you.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I think the evangelist's experiment was quite courageous indeed. It's surprising that someone would take such drastic steps to understand another's point of view. Very impressive.

Others have mentioned this was simply to have material for a book.... and I am inclined to agree, although I really and truly hope this was for his own experience and decided to share his experience with others in the form of a book as an afterthought.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I watched this funny show the other day, one of the lead actors says something like:

"BUMDER"

I laughed like a little girl, not idea why

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

The idea was obviously to put himself in a gay's shoes to see how it might feel to be discriminated against unfairly. I think he proved himself willing to expose himself to that.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

How Christian of him.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join