It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need creative ATS minds to help me

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I have to write a paper on anything invented since the 1900's and how it has impacted the way we do things now.

I'm having a hard time finding something interesting. I was going to write about the very first vibrator that was invented in the early 1900's for women who were diagnosed with 'hysteria' but.. I think I'll spare the professor

With as many smart and creative/original ATS minds we have Does anyone have any cool ideas? I've tried this on FaceBook and seem to run in to the generic ideas (e.g. Ford, radio, transportation...)

ETA: Obviously a little desperate to waste a little bandwidth with such an unimportant question, but I appreciate everyone's minds on this site regardless of their personal views at times.. thanks in advance. Flags will be appreciated since the more there are, the better chance of this post being seen.. if not thanks for your ideas.
edit on 30-11-2012 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by 31Bravo

How about the transistor?

It pretty much changed everything.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by 31Bravo

Can it be something which runs on electricity? Maybe computers, typewriters, light bulb, guitar pickup, microphone, something like that?

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Chainsaws were originally invented to deliver babies. Which is one thing we now know has no business anywhere near babies or delicate lady parts.

ETA: my bad. This was the 1700's not 1900's. At least you learned a new fact to share with paranoid first time pregnant women.
edit on 30-11-2012 by PutAQuarterIn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by swan001
reply to post by 31Bravo

Can it be something which runs on electricity? Maybe computers, typewriters, light bulb, guitar pickup, microphone, something like that?
She left it open to anything at all.. which is my problem. I love history, however, I'm looking for something that someone else isn't going to write about.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by PutAQuarterIn

I seriously had to look that up to see if you were just joking.. apparently not
definitely different.

OMG Facts

Unforunately, it was invented in 1830.. great idea though.
Invention of the Chainsaw

edit on 30-11-2012 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
How about Guglielmo Marconi, inventor of wireless transmission? He's the guy who pretty much started it all in the early 20th century.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by 31Bravo

the story of tesla's AC current versus edison's DC current is an interesting story. but maybe a little obvious.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by 31Bravo

How about TV dinners?? Look at how that has changed the food industry.....

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by 31Bravo

The Home Computer
MRI & CT scans
Antibiotics
Microchip

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
How about plastic?

I think the vibrator idea is a good one!

I am a lover of jewelry so I am thinking Moissanite, it's a real interesting story...although not world changing.
edit on 30-11-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
how about gps, early gps

The strange wrist-mounted scrolling map system of 1927 wasn’t the world’s last foray into analog GPS. This in-car navigation system sported a similar scrolling map setup, but with one notable difference: the map was actually wired to the car so that the map would scroll at a speed that matched the speed of the car’s movement.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
So far I like the TV dinners, plastic, and maybe even keep the vibrator topic.. all really good ideas coming.

Having better results than FaceBook that's for sure.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
How about the development of freeze drying done during WWII for serums and eventually the MRI. I saw some show about it on History Channel a while back. I had no idea how awesome the process was but then again I am easily amused.
edit on 30-11-2012 by Blades144 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Thanks for all the great ideas everyone, as it seems, I have decided to stick with the vibrator idea after all.

I started looking in to it even more and it is very interesting.. I do really appreciate the time everyone took to even post something

You guys are awesome.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Lasers

Ultrasounds in medecine

Satellites

EDIT
You gonna use the vibrator topic? Okay. Please come back to tell us the prof's face...

edit on 30-11-2012 by swan001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by swan001

Yea well since I'm learning about it in my Human Sexuality class I can't imagine how she could consider it improper literature

I'll just look at'er and say "Hey.. we're all adults here, right?"

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by 31Bravo

Good idea...very interesting topic.

Good luck!

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
There was a show just recently on discovery i think? that was the top 101 gadgets that have been created in the last hundred years that have had great impacts on human history. I'm sure you could find the episode online, or I'm sure they will repeat it. Hope that helps. It was a cool episode

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by 31Bravo

How about the credit card?
Page...2

top topics

join