It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians: The Ultimate Yes Men/Women

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Is it just me or do Christians generally have an extreme lack of individuality and ability to think for themselves? Has the bible become your brain? Do you enjoy going to church because of the sermons?

The reason I'm asking this question is because I believe Christianity (many other religions as well) seem to take the place of individual thought. Reply below if you agree or disagree...

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I agree, it's easier to blame something on god or do something because 'it's gods will' than to actually think it through yourself. i.e. ancient people thought bad weather or the flooding of the nile was an act of god(s) because they didn't know about weather systems.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
When I was growing up, some 40 years ago, Christians were those who stood up for what was right, no matter what, believed in God, Country and family over the almighty dollar. Today's Christians are looking for salvation at the bottom of their wallet and they stick together even when wrong like clumps of stuff.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by iceofspades
I believe Christianity (many other religions as well) seem to take the place of individual thought.

Question: Which website/punk album/blog did you read that on?

[edit on 10-22-2004 by Esoterica]

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
God will dispense His justice on all fairly even if you say "Its God's will" or blame it on God. Gods knows everything you've done. God wants individuals and not robots. Those people Chris you used as examples were ignorant on who the True God is. It is Christians callings to show other who God is.

If saying "yes" to God and to eternal life makes me a yes man, so be it.

[edit on 10-22-2004 by Cearbhall]

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I'm interested myself Esoterica.
As I see it, free will exemplifies individual thought and as such, I am interested in why one would assert that Christianity or any other type religion (ie: Islam, etc.) would stand in place of individual thought/choice, etc.

seekerof

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
I'm interested myself Esoterica.
As I see it, free will exemplifies individual thought and as such, I am interested in why one would assert that Christianity or any other type religion (ie: Islam, etc.) would stand in place of individual thought/choice, etc.

seekerof

The only reason I say it is that nearly everyone who claims to be a 'free thinker' really ain't, not because of any heartfelt religious conviction. Generally, there's a mental loophole in the definition of 'sheeple' that allows blind faith in the originator of that certain 'free thinking' ethos/mythos.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Is there really such a thing as a "free thinker" now? We're all influenced by poltics everyday and it is impossible to form your own poltical opinions now since so many are represented in society from movies to music, from news icons to leaders.

The only way one can "free think" is to say something differnt in an enviroment where everything is the same. No matter what 'free thinking" we do, its already represented somwhere.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
IMHO JediMaster, I would say yes, that despite the many modern day aspects that can easily sway or influence our ways of thinking, that there is still ones ability to make a choice.

seekerof

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
@Cearbhall

I know what you mean. People don't seem to realise that christianity isn't about going to church every sunday or converting the unbeliever, it's about following the teachings of Christ. All these people who self-righteously cite Christianity as their excuse have it all wrong.

Jesus didn't write one word of the bible.

Jesus said 'Love one another as I have loved you'

Jesus said 'Have peace one with another � and be reconciled to thy brother'

Jesus said 'Condemn not'

Does any of this remind you of the so-called Christians we have today?

People are more intent on following the teachings of man (through organised religion) than the teachings of Christ)

quotes from : www.wowzone.com...

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I think it's an overgeneralization to paint all members of any religion with the same brush. Yes, there are similarities, and those of the same faith enjoy the company of others who share the same beliefs, but it's silly to say they're all the same and agree with the party line all of the time. If that were so, there would not be so many varieties of Christianity. I know many intense individualists who are Christian, as well as those of other faiths.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
Is there really such a thing as a "free thinker" now? We're all influenced by poltics everyday and it is impossible to form your own poltical opinions now since so many are represented in society from movies to music, from news icons to leaders.

There's more to thinking than politics. Anyway, this is a symptom of humanity, not modern life. If anything, people today form their own opinion's more than they did long ago, due to the freedoms we have to do so.

The only way one can "free think" is to say something differnt in an enviroment where everything is the same. No matter what 'free thinking" we do, its already represented somwhere.

No, by definition free thinking would be to not let outside forces influence your opinion about something, which is literally impossible. Unless you were abandoned as an infant in the jungle, other people are going to influence you. This is not a bad thing. Part of the success of humanity is that we are able to pass information on to others. Being influenced by others or having the same opinion as someone else is not a bad thing.

In my opinion, 'free' thinking is not free as the beatniks would put it, which is basically having an opinion contrary to the establishment. This follows the faulty assumption that the establishment is always wrong, otherwise it would simply be known as 'wrong' thinking
. I mean, look at pop-punk (not real punk, I respect those guys). Even in to college, 'punks' act like they are enlightened becasue they do things diffferently'. So they all go to hot topic, all buy the exact same t-shirt, all buy the same nosering, all buy the same CD's etc... They are not free thinkers, they are simply another group that's coalesced around a popular idea. There is nothing wrong with that except when you fail to accept it.

Free thinking is making up your own mind. If this means believing a 2000 year old dead guy, then so be it. You made up your mind, not anyone else. Just like someone else decided not to believe him.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrndLkNatv
When I was growing up, some 40 years ago, Christians were those who stood up for what was right, no matter what, believed in God, Country and family over the almighty dollar. Today's Christians are looking for salvation at the bottom of their wallet and they stick together even when wrong like clumps of stuff.

I would think that by definition the people you term "Today's Christians" are not Christians at all, but misguided seekers of riches in the "now" and seekers of fire insurance in the hereafter-
I would agree that people like that are a blight on the earth and give the faith a bad name - when in fact they wouldn't know Jesus if He walked up and shook hands with them.
Don't get me started on the heretics who call themselves TV evangelists and beg and manipulate the masses to fill their own pocketbooks....

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by iceofspades
Is it just me or do Christians generally have an extreme lack of individuality and ability to think for themselves? Has the bible become your brain? Do you enjoy going to church because of the sermons?

The reason I'm asking this question is because I believe Christianity (many other religions as well) seem to take the place of individual thought. Reply below if you agree or disagree...

[edit on 22-10-2004 by panthra]

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I go to church to fellowship with fellow christians and to pray and draw stregth, my brain has not been replaced by the bible, the bible is a lesson plan for life, giving you an example to follow and study, I have not in the least lost my individual thoughts, I am very much a critical thinker, hence why I'm a member of this sight, I guess i can see how you could ask these questions if your not a part of a good church and have yourself surrounded by good christian people, where not drones if that's what your wondering! hehe, not all churches are like what you see on t.v. or grew up in

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
A Christian who believes in Jesus because everybody else in his family/town/peer group does and is afraid of ostracization is not a free-thinker.

A Christian who believes in Jesus in the face of consequences such as persecution, ridicule or even death is perhaps the incarnation of free-thinking.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   
well I suppose that my own answer to the original question would be yes and no, then again the answer would stay the same if you replaced the word christians/christianity with humans/humanity.
I am not christian, nor any other religion because I do not beleive in organized religion,not to say I dont believe in a higher power, my christian husband on the other hand disagrees with my point of veiw. My husband is very stubborn about his religious veiws, but in everyday life they play very little role. Honestly my husband runs mostly off his emotions and what he feels is right, wich sometimes differs from my point of veiw, but thats what makes us free thinkers. I think free thinking should be defined as beleiving in what you truly feel being right, not just beleiving in it because you've been told.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
that's not why I believe, these things are just things to keep you uplifted and accountable,

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Let me take an opportunity to rephrase my statement. Churches tend to take the place of personal decision-making even if it is not in the right. For example, my sister joined a church some time ago which was more like a cult. The leader (whom I have had countless verbal arguments with), taught his followers that their blood families mean nothing to god and that the church is their new family. He also told her that medicine is evil and she should not take anymore. In turn, she stopped talking to our family and has some serious problems medically.

I understand that this situation does not represent all, but it does indeed represent a large many Christians.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   

I understand that this situation does not represent all, but it does indeed represent a large many Christians.

Provide numbers for this statement, please.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join