Originally posted by michael1983l
I was thinking what I would do to the UK if I was elected Prime Minister and I thought I would bounce my ideas off you lot to see if they hold water
In full disclosure, I am not British, nor am I versed on your politics or policies. But sharing ideas freely is a remarkable aspect of us Yanks.
1) Scrap the current taxation system and replace it with one flat tax for all based on all types of renumeration set at 28% with a tax free
allowance of £12,000.
Tax codes over the industrialized nations are convoluted to benefit those who can manipulate the lawmakers and they system. I agree that a simplified
tax-code, regardless of the nation, would best serve the people seeking the "best bang for their buck". Flat-tax or consumption tax are high on my
list, but I lean more towards a consumption tax with rebates up to the prescribed poverty-line.
3) Scrap international aid until the budget deficit is no longer in deficit.
This one I believe is trickier than we think. While much
foreign aid can probably be scraped, many trade-agreements and other diplomatic-agreements are in place that will make it legally impossible to just
nix them. Phase them out and only give aid where aid should be given. Nations that align with your national principles and ideals, who offer
something in return.
4) Scale down the Military to be mainly a defensive force only.
The world over.....in complete agreement!
5) Change the immigration system completely so that only company sponsored people or people with certain skills can get a visa, including those
from within the EU.
So many nations need immigration reform. Here in the states, I am not sure we even have a coherent immigration policy
except whatever will line and keep votes for politicians. Sadly, immigration is healthy for any nation. Smart immigration policy is needed.
7) Charge 7% corporation tax for UK based companies and those companies that choose to operate within the UK but have their operations based abroad
will have to pay a flat 10% taxation on their UK turnover.
8) Set aside billions of pounds for state sponsored scientific research, with any patents being owned by the state.
9) Re-nationalisation of the transport infrastructure and utility companies.
I prefer a quasi-nationalization in regards to utilities.
Private companies under regulation of the State they are operating in. Still, there needs to be more involved in the market and that can be a
problem regarding infrastructure.
Regarding transportation, I will have to read up on how England handles theirs.
10) The NHS to only treat UK Nationals, putting a full stop to health tourism to Britain.
Understandable, but do you think a doctor,
one trained to help people, will go for this? Are they to turn away a truly sick patient because they are not a UK National? Doctors are to know no
borders in my opinion.
11) The highest paid employee in a company can only be paid 12 times more than the lowest paid employee, this includes all types of
renumeration including issuing of shares.
Disagree. Wages should be regulated by fair-market prices. I know many have been exasperated.
Public sector, I would agree to such measures if tweaked a bit.
Thats just for starters, what do you think?
Good start. You have ideas, not just complaints.