It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warp drive experiments to begin

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
SOURCE

This follows along with the announcement a few months ago of renewed interest in warp drive theory. It was reported that new calculations could make warp drive actually possible, without having to use a Jupiter sized planet as a tank of gas. Well, it all starts with getting proof of concept through rigorous testing and experimentation. Once proof has been established then this field will literally "take off" and practical applications will be only a matter of time. Maybe far off, but it will be within the realm of possibility.

Theoretical plausibility is all fine and well, of course. What White needs now is a real-world proof-of-concept. So he's hit the lab and begun work on actual experiments. "We're utilizing a modified Michelson-Morley interferometer — that allows us to measure microscopic perturbations in space time," he said. "In our case, we're attempting to make one of the legs of the interferometer appear to be a different length when we energize our test devices." White and his colleagues are trying to simulate the tweaked Alcubierre drive in miniature by using lasers to perturb space-time by one part in 10 million.

In the story they talk about how fast proof of a theory can turn into practical use:

"In late 1942, humanity activated the first nuclear reactor in Chicago generating a whopping half Watt — not enough to power a light bulb," he said. "However, just under one year later, we activated a ~4MW reactor which is enough to power a small town. Existence proof is important."

Is it too early to start coming up with a name for the first starship? I'm open to either the Enterprise or the Millennium Falcon... Any other good ones?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Isee1111

Cool

I can't wait for humanity to solve our issues on this blue earth, so that we can begin our conquest of the stars!

For the Imperium of Spiegle, enage warp 9

SS
edit on 043030p://pm3003 by Spike Spiegle because: our

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Isee1111

The only reason people miss the possibility of bending space time without insane energy costs is because they are trying to do it by Force in a linear way in 4 dimensions which is nearly impossible..

This reality is not just 4 dimensions... knowing what other lengths and depths could be that are not already one of the 3 dimensions plus time, will tell you how to move forward in lets say 5d... This would not be a physical movement, sense it's "Above" space-time.

I don't know how it would work, I just know that's the broad place to look.

Of course going in without unifying the fields in theory seems Dangerous... I havn't come across any way of unifying all forces, so I wouldn't know where to proceed in such endeavors.

Checking out your link now. It's basically like falling without moving, and similar to falling asleep..
edit on 11/27/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Make it so, Number One!

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Isee1111
SOURCE

Is it too early to start coming up with a name for the first starship? I'm open to either the Enterprise or the Millennium Falcon... Any other good ones?

How about the Nostromo?

(j.k. I like the Enterprise above all)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
How about we name our 1st warp ship after The Phoenix from the old G-Force cartoon?

That's probably what it's going to look like soon after they turn on the warp drive for the 1st time.

Oh wait, they already have those flying around out there...

edit on 27-11-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

It's starting to look like the more they test and refine it they could eventually get it to run powered on a 9v battery. Ok, I'm exaggerating but to go from needing a massive amount of energy to something within our ability is pretty amazing. Just from tweaking the theory. Imagine what they can learn with real testing going on.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I propose that the first warp drive spaceship be named the USS William Shatner

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
2 light years a week. 52 weeks in a year. = 104 light years a year.

10,400 light years in 100 years.

104,000 light years in 1000 years.

Wow, suddenly our possible area of influence seems a lot larger. I'd consider anything within a years travel reasonable pickens. I could see where aliens would be worried about us . =D not that i'm some ufo nut, just saying.

This is assuming we were able to reach alpha centauri in 2 weeks as stated, and doesn't take the .3 light years into consideration.
edit on 27-11-2012 by Chargeit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Can we trust the development of f-t-l warp drive, to the agency that is too stupid to use TR-3B Astra triangle ships for shuttles to the Moon and Mars? I doubt it.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightFlight

Id prefer the USS Gene Rodenberry.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven

The Event horizon or Titanic. I know!! The HELL EXPRESS!! Because when they go FTL they will end up in the dimension of Hell most likely.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Great idea.

How about a main ship called the USS Rodenberry with a runabout named the USS Shatner?

I would pilot that runabout with epic swagger.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Larryman
Can we trust the development of f-t-l warp drive, to the agency that is too stupid to use TR-3B Astra triangle ships for shuttles to the Moon and Mars? I doubt it.

Oh my goodness...seriously?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Spruce Goose?

It would be cool though. Would this mean there could be different levels of "warp" speed? Just how fast could they go?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

don't worry, the elites will sky rocket to a new earth like planet that was conveniently "discovered" 1 year after the first warp engine spacecraft was built.

the rest of us will be left behind fighting like animals for a dollar bill, or working at one of their factories to send money that they don't need to the new earth.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Well Im gonna have to induce a female twist to the naming of the first ship.

The USS 7of9 sounds very sexy.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

The first interstellar spaceship is Jewish? OMG, you've just created The Ferengi.

Actually I thought of that as soon as I saw the USS Shatner. It is most logical. Spock would be proud.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
When people think of the familiar equation of E=(MC)2 they think of the mass moving similar to a beam of light but consider if a mass can SPIN at the speed of light. it is still mass in motion yet not going anywhere, and for that matter, we know that matter itself is simply vibrating at quantum levels so if mass can spin at fast enough speed, does it become energy? Not linear movement in a line. Like an ice skater that pulls in her arms and spins faster, can we spin something with laser beams to reach that speed? A superconducting magnet in a vacuum so there is no air or other friction.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
the rest of us will be left behind fighting like animals for a dollar bill, or working at one of their factories to send money that they don't need to the new earth.

Don't worry. I'm sure if they ever start mass exodus transport, you'll have a slot at a new life on Planet Dirt.

It brings a new meaning to "red clay". Your kids will be busy in the fields, changing out crop lights.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join