It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bionics are becoming a Reality

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I'll bet you never would have figured someone took the time to get the answer to how much the 6 Million Dollar Man would be in modern R&D right? lol.... Some people have too much time and far too many reporters to fill it, because someone really did look at the cost with a scientific eye.

But the real cost of a modern-day cyborg in 2008 would be quite different, according to Greg Chirikjian, professor of mechanical engineering at The Johns Hopkins Institute and a big fan of the original TV show.

According to Chirikjian, research and development costs to design a bionic man would be $50 million to $100 million today. But with a completed design, production costs would only be several hundred thousand dollars per person, he said, but they'd lack Austin's super powers.
Source

No offense to 'Steve Austin' but at those prices I think I'd demand a refund if no super abilities came with it. In all seriousness though, this is a great thread and a promising topic while also disturbing.

I've heard about Laser eye surgery with some claims of 20/10 vision possible for the outcome. Better than perfect at something? Well, how can one pass that up? Tempting, if not for how horribly wrong that procedure goes when it does occasionally go wrong and how rarely it goes that well.

Adding mechanics to the direct intelligence man can put that power to ...when we're still almost obsessed with war of all forms...is a disturbing thing indeed. So I can't help but think the technology isn't bad, however cliche' it comes to sound, it really is the people and times (times more than anything) that define it.

In this day and age though, I can see Military applications almost self evident.....but also, I'd note how Law Enforcement and Military lines have come to really blur for what moves between the two worlds... Hmm..

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Actually if anybody would do it it would have to be you

Nice research

Now maybe we should ask for grants and get some of the moola

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Definitely a fascinating field of research & technological progression. This generation will most likely yield bionic capabilities to the extent where you may even be able to use a robotic body that's indistinguishable from humans (android); as well as being extremely durable. Literally bullet-proof, poison proof, etc.

There's a recent article I posted regarding intracranial nanowires for future BCIs and BMIs.

Researchers at the University of Michigan have now created a flexible microthread electrode (MTE) that is only 7 micrometers in diameter, and can be bent into a full circle with a diameter of just a few hundred microns. It consists of an electrospun carbon fiber core with a thin film dielectric coating that is nonreactive inside the body.

If neurons can later be guided into these custom-built myelin guide tubes, larger-scale brain-computer interfaces may become more feasible. As implant technologies become more user friendly we will begin to see BCIs and BMIs (brain-machine interfaces) migrate from external toy-like curiosities to essential internal components of the post-human machine.

edit on 26-11-2012 by Raelsatu because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I just wonder if normal people who have no actual ailments will voluntarily take up major surgery to get implants to improve them selves?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by shadowland8

I would think so.

Look at all the people who spend thousands on facelifts and tummy-tucks!

I want a Bionic Woman......

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Great stuff Slayer!

My only question here is who will be the recipients of the technology? Just looking at some of those Bionic appendages makes it quite clear that they are very expensive and that only a few lucky individuals will even have the resources available to afford them.

I suppose that in years to come they will drop in price as all technology eventually does, but to the level that anyone needing it will have the chance? Not sure about that. One can always hope tho...right?

Thanks for another great read.

Peace

My bet would be they do human trials and use volunteers who are willing to test them out, and army veteran amputees would be the first to be asked / used.

Other inventors would hopefully come along improvising on them, making other versions that more volunteers from the public could try. This stuff is usually introduced in rehabilitation centres first and its the patients in those places who will get to try them and offered the chance to purchase. In many cases these patients have insurance policies subsidizing the medical costs, like if the injury was an accident. Or they would be targeted at those with money.

Anyways this is truly wonderful if it can help people to do what they are unable to do.

They would become more affordable as they become more common.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

awesome.I think this is the right way which science should go after it,cooperation of engineering and medical sciences. still human thinks to go further and makes that parts the way they grow naturally ! it is really hard but scientifically possible using Stem Cells :

Stem cells are unique cells of the body in that they are unspecialized and have the ability to develop into several different types of cells. They are different from specialized cells, such as heart or blood cells, in that they can replicate many times, for long periods of time. This ability is what is known as proliferation. Unlike other cells, stem cells also have the ability to differentiate or develop into specialized cells for specific organs or develop into tissues. In some tissues, such as muscle or brain tissue, stem cells can even regenerate to aid in the replacement of damaged cells.

biology.about.com...
I know that some simple tissues have been reproduced but this branch of science will gain attentions even more in the future.

edit on 27-11-2012 by maes2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-11-2012 by maes2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Looking forward to the day, when bionic limbs become upgrades, and we have our silly vegetable limbs removed especially

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I have a friend with a grandmother who recently passed away. She had retinitis pigmentosa. It's a shame this technology couldn't have become both feasible and affordable a little bit sooner. But it's great that it exists. I just hope it will eventally be accessible and perhaps even standard for all patients regardless of income.

Deus Ex (the game) style bionic lungs to eliminate my asthma? Yes, please.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by SLAYER69

The tech I'm really interested in is the perforated chip implanted in existing tissue. Nerve stimmuli is recorded through the chip and directly sent to the prostethsis. Micro actuators drive the missing limb in a real life fashion.

We're on the cusp of seeing some great advances!

I wonder how this tech would be developed affordable?
It's one thing to create it it's another for wide use among those who are in real need

Right now it's no where near affordable to everyday people, and I don't see it becoming so for 20 yers probably more.

I can tell you from personal experience right now. the state of healthcare in the US is HORRIBLE. I am an above the knee amputee lost my right leg in an accident in Sept of 2000 (and in the last 12 years not much has changed as far as availability of prostectics or affordability, it's the same now as it was in 2000), and without insurance (I had medicaid and disability till 07, but then it was taken away) I'm not getting a new prostetic (old one does not workanymore, liner is also ripped to shreds so it's also worn out basically). New liner around $500.00 which I don't have. Even if I did, I have gained probably 15 lbs since I havent been able to wear my prostetic so it won't fit anyway. Need an entire new mold taken.

The problem being with medicaid is you can't just get or apply for medicaid; well at least not in the State I live. You must get/apply for Disability and if approved you'll get Medicaid with it. You basically cannot have one without the other. and it's standard practice here in my State to deny all applicant's the first time, no matter what. and usually an 80% and higher denial on the appeal. You got to get your third appeal then get a lawyer, and they make the hoops and maze of paperwork so hard ,especially for someone who IS disabled, many people give up.

It's a shame too because I really just want medicaid so I can have a new prostesis made so I can get a job. I am young and do not wan't to sit home all day collecting Disability.

These amazing legs and arms you see. Take the "C-Leg"which use computer communications between the prostesis and your good limb and actually make for climbing steps one over the next possible for someone who is AKA,they are extremely expensive talking and only go to those with the best insurace, or those who lost limbs in War. Even then there's no guarantee, I know plenty of vets struggling to get help with prostetics.

Hopefully in the future things will be cheaper as the tech evolves, but it's very slow going, and I don't see any major changes happening for me in my life-time.

Losing a limb is a real life changer, not only physically, but mentally. My advice is be as safe as you can, and try not to engage in dangerous activities, or work a dangerous job. Point being if you do lose a limb, don't expect to magically and easily get a prostesis and have it do any good for you. We are no where near that point.

It's just baffling when the Dep. of disability tells you your not disabled when your missing 85% of your leg. That just because you can manage to take a shower by yourself (which is a project) that your fit to be out in the work-force, even when your entire work history is filled with jobs that include manual labor that require tons of walking/lifting heavy objects/bending/squatting/climbing/operating heavy machinery and being on your feet (foot in my case now) all day long. But the money care seems to go to people who are physically fine, they just know how to abuse the system.

Sorry if I sound bitter, but at this point I am

edit on 27-11-2012 by Nola213 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
One last shameless bump then off into the abyss.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Awesome thread. As one of those that needs this tech, I S&F'd it.

The thing about this is, these guys are going for 22 degrees of motion. That F-ing HUGE. What they're not accounting for though, is the wrist. I'd imagine it be a herculian task to get that involved, probably more-so than the thumb & fingers.

Having lost a hand, & half of a forearm, I definitely keep a close eye on this stuff. I think re generation is probably the only way to get back what I lost. Eyes, Legs & exo-skeletons are great...I think they'll be perfected with tech & time. Below the elbow though...I see no way we'll ever get a true Luke Skywalker type prosthesis.

The human body is so complex & simply amazing. Nature is rad.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Nola213

Mind if I ask how you lost your leg & how long ago? From one amputee to another, it flat out sucks. Could've been our lives though, & that's the one thing to keep in mind.

I was fortunate enough to have my accident at work, & the judge at my settlement hearing was cool enough to demand that workers comp cover me for anything, for the rest of my life.

I do have a friend that lost his leg below the knee. His church has a fundraiser every couple of years to get him a new leg. Not sure what your beliefs are, but this church doesn't care who goes, or what reason they're there for. They do a chili cookoff in his name. He donates all of his old ones.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Join the ATS LIVE crew for a jam packed episode discussing the hot topics of today, including this threads topic which will be on this weeks Turbo Topics segment of the ATSLive radio program

LOW BANDWIDTH STREAM NOW AVAILABLE - We now run a 32kbps stream for those of you with slower connections. You can connect to the low bandwidth stream by clicking here.

www.shoutcast.com...

We are still running at 256kbps through the ATS Player, and there are also options to listen via other players on our relay site at www.illustrial.net...

Hope you'll listen in!
Johnny

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Great thread again SLAYER. I enjoy reading this one as well as your last The Real Rise of the Machines thread.

It's it pretty crazy to see how far we have come and how quickly we have got to where we are. We did it in a pretty short amount of time as well.

I love science. Hopefully I won't regret saying that.

-SAP-
edit on 9-12-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I think it's inevitable, we are after all just organic machines

top topics

<< 1   >>

join