Bionics are becoming a Reality

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
+9 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Before we begin.

I've purposely left out Bio-engineering, Genetic manipulation and of course Cloning replacement body parts. This subject is multifaceted and we could go on for hours on the various related Fields of research. I'll leave that for other members to chime in with their experience and related knowledge on this tropic to contribute.

Some of you are old enough to remember watching the ABC series from 1974 - 1978. I enjoyed it's "Techie" and the "Spy vs Spy" action myself at the time. Almost 40 years later just how close have we come to that level of Bionic engineering? Now I know many here are more familiar with the medical aspects and advancements than I. I'll be relying on those who are to fill the gaps.

In the TV Series Steve Austin lost an eye, an arm and both legs. They were able to "Rebuild" him on time and apparently on budget { 6 Million Dollars }. Let's take a look {Excuse the pun} at some of the latest research and development in each of these fields. Now I know prosthetics have been around since Ancient Egypt.

Ancient Egyptian Fake Toes Earliest Prosthetics

Discovered in the necropolis of Thebe near present-day Luxor, the two artificial toes -- the so-called Greville Chester toe housed in the British Museum and the Tabaketenmut toe at the Egyptian Museum in Cairo -- have been called by several experts the earliest prosthetic devices in existence.

But what we are talking about presently is advancements in agility, the ability to sense temperature changes and advanced articulation which will be eventually, in time, be integrated into our bodies natural neural/mechanical functions.

Esthetics aside, Functionality first.....

Bionic Eye
Shedding a Light on Blinds: Bionic Eyes are Ready to Use

World’s First implantation of prototype bionic eye with 24 electrodes: ‘all of a sudden I could see a little flash of light. It was amazing.’

In a major development, Bionic Vision Australia researchers have successfully performed the first implantation of an early prototype bionic eye with 24 electrodes.

Ms Dianne Ashworth has profound vision loss due to retinitis pigmentosa, an inherited condition. She has now received what she calls a ‘pre-bionic eye’ implant that enables her to experience some vision. A passionate technology fan, Ms Ashworth was motivated to make a contribution to the bionic eye research program.

Bionic Arm
Darpa's prosthetic arm gives amputees new hope

Armiger’s research is part of a nationwide effort to create a neurally controlled prosthetic arm. That arm has been the focus of much media attention, but that focus obscures the truly groundbreaking research typical of the Revolutionizing Prosthetics 2009 (RP2009) program.

The U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is pouring at least US $71.2 million into the program in the hope that it will let amputees do what most people take for granted: make gestures, test the water in a teacup, turn a key, even peel the shell off an egg. Words like bionic and thought -controlled have been thrown at the project, but they don’t do justice to the sheer ordinariness of its purpose. DARPA isn’t looking for a superstrong ”Six Million Dollar Man” arm; it just wants an arm that moves exactly like a real one does.

Bionic Leg
University Pioneers Artificial Leg Built with Smartphone Parts

Researchers at Vanderbilt University have created a more agile prosthetic leg using smartphone innovations, the latest example of how mobile technology is propelling medical advances.

The Vanderbilt leg, weighing in less than most lower limbs at nine pounds, is unique in its ability to use computer, sensor, motor, and battery technology to better power knee and ankle joints in unison, allowing amputees to walk with a more natural gait. The prosthetic leg also senses ground slope and avoids obstructions to optimize balance.

The researchers’ seven-year effort harnesses several technological advances made possible by smartphones, including microprocessors that use data to predict people’s intended actions and prompts the device to respond. And, on one charge, the device can function at normal levels for about three days, requiring 30 to 40 percent less than an average person’s energy to operate.

Let's wrap this up with some member contributions on the subject.

Paraplegics

I read a few months back this thread Ekso Bionics Sells its First Set of Robot Legs Allowing Paraplegics to Walk posted by our very own. speculativeoptimist

Mark down February 14th, 2012 as the day when exoskeletons became an established medical therapy. Ekso Bionics, formerly Berkeley Bionics and creators of the HULC army exoskeleton, have delivered their first commercial lower body system to Craig Hospital in Denver Colorado. The Ekso medical exoskeleton supports the body while moving the user’s legs for them. In other words, Ekso lets paraplegics walk again.

Here is another related thread The laser-powered bionic eye that gives 576-pixel grayscale vision to the blind by member grey580 on the subject.

After a lot of theorizing, postulating, and non-human trials, it looks like bionic eye implants are finally hitting the market — first in Europe, and hopefully soon in the US. These implants can restore sight to completely blind patients — though only if the blindness is caused by a faulty retina, as in macular degeneration (which millions of old people suffer from), diabetic retinopathy, or other degenerative eye diseases.

And

Still another thread Vision of future: experts close to turning bionic eye dream into reality by member daaskapital

FIFTEEN years ago, the bid to create Australia's first bionic eye relied on university researchers pillaging old stereos for parts.

However today, 154 researchers led by biomedical engineers from the University of NSW could be less than a year away from their goal of saving the vision of degenerative eye disease sufferers.

The technology centres on an intricate and minuscule implant containing 98 electrodes, which is designed to stimulate nerve cells in the retina.

I'll leave you with this final video on the topic. Very interesting times we live in. I'm sure over the next ten years or so we will see other even more impressive developments.

Real Bionic Man - Robotic Hand Can Be Controlled By Thought

Well I hope those of you who were less than familiar with these various developments learned something new and interesting and those who more familiar I'm looking forward to your contributions and discussion on the topic.

As Always
Stay tuned.
PEACE
edit on 26-11-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
S&F

I must say, I like the way you put your threads together but you know that, heh?

Yes it is becoming very real indeed.

Not unlike the beginnings of Ghost in the Shell?

I myself am fascinated by cyberization and transgenics

I will finish watching some videos I think could add to this thread and be back soon to post

SS

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
6 million adjusted for inflation is $28 million and some change.

Bionics ties in with the ops other thread always thought that medical field for replacement limbs and "terminators" are intertwined.

Love for a day to come where there would be a chip in your brain where one could access the net anywhere anytime.

but of course as with all technology double edged sword.
edit on 26-11-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

The tech I'm really interested in is the perforated chip implanted in existing tissue. Nerve stimmuli is recorded through the chip and directly sent to the prostethsis. Micro actuators drive the missing limb in a real life fashion.

We're on the cusp of seeing some great advances!

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Terrific post! How far we have come eh?

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Great stuff Slayer!

My only question here is who will be the recipients of the technology? Just looking at some of those Bionic appendages makes it quite clear that they are very expensive and that only a few lucky individuals will even have the resources available to afford them.

I suppose that in years to come they will drop in price as all technology eventually does, but to the level that anyone needing it will have the chance? Not sure about that. One can always hope tho...right?

Thanks for another great read.

Peace

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Another nice thread Sla

SNF

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Its ironic that we seem to have some kind of underlying perversion to machinery as we do with body piercing and modification (thinks of the cool black and white movie "Tesuo, the Iron Man"...).

That we will end up doing a full circle when we realise the human body is actually the very machine that we are seeking - at least the parallels are there and it's amazing if you study the human body, how mechanical we are at a cellular level (and much lower).

I think it would be amazing to have such bodies, to be able to reach out further into the universe but I think eventually we would grow tired and want to reach out further, where the body is not required.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Fascinating to say the least. Nice write up Slayer.
I never missed an episode of the 6 million dollar man.

I would imagine the race is on between BioTech engineering, neural implantation, and bio regeneration.

With the progress being made with nerve regeneration , for the first time, actual regeneration of nerves to a victim of a spinal injury bring new hope to quads and paras.

The challenge for biomechanical engineering, as you pointed out, is faster and more accurate articulation, and better communication from user to bionics. Also, moving parts wear out, break or malfunction. I believe the successes here will improve tremendously as we improve sciences in the fields of nano technology, and neural connectivity.
Perhaps metal and plastic moving parts will be replaced with nanotech yarns for example.

But as you also pointed out, those topics are multi -faceted and deserve their own thread.

I truly believe where we will eventually wind up is to simply regrow the limbs themselves.

Brillant
edit on 26-11-2012 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

Ghost in the shell is one of my all time favorites.

Funny you should mention it.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I know huh.
Need to adjust for inflation or outsource

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Appendage bionics are pretty interesting.

However, I believe that memory/processing augmentation for your mind could tap limitless potential, once we achieve this, further technological advancement will increase in rate due to our enhanced mental abilities.

Very nicely put together.

S+F

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Now imagine each of those individual parts combining into a whole to form the first Cyborg.

I can feel it in the near future. Inevitable. Thanks to movies.

Then they will throw a new mini supercomputer mind into it or more likely a brain.

Yup, killer robots soon.

Never-mind it can help people
Nope, robots will be killing humans in no time.

jk.

I will volunteer for one of these programs eventually. I would love to awaken in a new bionic suit.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

The tech I'm really interested in is the perforated chip implanted in existing tissue. Nerve stimmuli is recorded through the chip and directly sent to the prostethsis. Micro actuators drive the missing limb in a real life fashion.

We're on the cusp of seeing some great advances!

I wonder how this tech would be developed affordable?
It's one thing to create it it's another for wide use among those who are in real need

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I wonder how soon it will be before we have something similar to Luke Skywalker's prosthetic hand in Empire Strikes Back? I could imagine that if something that advanced were built within the "ghost limb" time frame, that it could be seamlessly integrated into the human nervous system. Since the brain still thinks that the limb is there, would it be so hard to develop the tech to pick up on those signals? I no longer think that this kind of technology is in the realm of science fiction. Give it 20-30 years and we'll have something like that. Give it 100 years, and I bet we'll be very close to being able to grow back lost limbs (hopefully without "The Lizard" mutation from Spider-Man....haha).

-TS

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Another great thread!

This is how technology should be used.

To really move men, in the direction of living, not killing.

S&F

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I wonder how this tech would be developed affordable? It's one thing to create it it's another for wide use among those who are in real need

Watch Repo man.

edit on 26-11-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Great question.
I guess if and when it becomes commercially available it will be easily afforded by those in need.

We can hope

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
My thought would be if given enough time what they'll bring out is Nanite technology. Initial dose injected at birth and thats it. No immunizations, no cancers, conditions, or anything. Possibly aging itself would go away as well if you had an army of little machines repairing everything right down to the cellular level.

Also there would be no need for exercise either. Want to be Arnold Schwarzenegger? Just program your Nanites. Six months later you will be bench pressing 600 lbs no problems. You could have his face even if you wanted it. Ugly girl? You could be Paris Hilton. Or Megan Fox. Or any of thousands of popular females of the past 200 years. Just enter the program and let the body sculpting begin. Is she 17 or 700?

And if for some reason you were involved in a accident all you really need to do is survive it. Just save the head and the rest would eventually regenerate. Death would only happen to the very old or those unlucky enough to splatter their heads into a number of little pieces.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

My only question here is who will be the recipients of the technology?

My vote goes to the veterans. they have no doubt earned it IMO.

I guess the biggest thing I got about this technology is if it is being done to help mankind or to profit from mankind. What good is it if someone got to pay an arm and a leg to get an arm and a leg?

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join