It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watchitburn's guide to highway driving.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I just spent 6 hours in some absurdly stupid traffic, and it has given me the push to create this thread I have been thinking about for a while now.

OK folks,
I know most people would consider themselves good drivers. But anyone who has spent anytime on the highways knows this is just not the case. And many of you are plain terrible.

Some of you might say "Who are you to criticize other people's driving?"

Well, I have been everywhere, and driven across the US from coast to coast and top to bottom more times than I can count. I have been to evasive and anti-terrorism defensive drivers courses. I have never been in a car accident. Oh, and I taught myself how to drive in a HMMWV in Iraq.

First off, I drive fast. But I do it safely. I don't cut people off, barrel across 4 lanes of traffic, change lanes without using my turn signal or any other crap like that. It's not rocket science people.

Here are some basic rules everyone should know. If you do know them, good for you. If not, pay attention.

1. The left lane is for me, Stay out of it!

2. If you have to use my lane, you should be prepared to drive at least 80mph.
3. You can exceed the posted speed limit by 9mph anywhere without worrying about getting a ticket.
4. If you find yourself in a group of 3 or more vehicles, you can go as fast as you want. Just don't be the last vehicle.
5. There is no reason to use your brakes on the highway. You have a gas pedal and a steering wheel for a reason, Use them!

These are easy rules to follow. If everyone can abide by them, our driving experiences will be much more pleasant.

Thank you for your time, and feel free to ask any questions that were not covered by this period of instruction.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I beg to differ,the left lane is for me!

Stay out of it.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

We'll just have to share.

As long as we both adhere to rule #2, there should be no issues.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I beg to differ with your universal rules.

I live in Tampa/St. Petersburg, FL and was pulled over for passing a highway patrol car who was doing the speed limit, and I was

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I hear ya, there a few places around town a almost refuse to drive through or past anymore due to the amount of slow, no turn signaling, 3 lane switching drivers in these areas.

You should add to that list:-

6. If you're going to miss your exit ramp due to not leaving enough time to get across in traffic, DO NOT SLOW DOWN TO 20KPH AND MERGE ACROSS WITH YOUR HANDS WAVING SORRY! Be a man and take the next exit. (same rules apply to normal roads)

The worst is when 3 lanes, 3 people all doing 10/15kph below the posted speed limit and none of them will move, heck the police officers don't even care, yet if im caught doing 5kph above the posted speed limit i lose $250 and 3 points and im treated like i touched up a 12 year old boy.
edit on 24-11-2012 by SethGecko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Kevinquisitor

I got a speeding ticket there a few years ago. But I was doing 93.

These a general rules, and are subject to change based on your location, but the premise is sound.

Speeding tickets are going to happen, it's inevitable. I just got another today for 87 in a 70.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
watchitburn, this highways for you

85 mph! Texas to open toll highway with fastest speed limit in nation

link

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I see a lot testosterone he on ATS and also on the roads

My hubby drives like you and he thinks he is a good driver, he has never been an accident either. BUT if you ask me you are a TERRIBLE driver, and how i know.. because i sit next to him when he drives..

Maybe you are not good judge to yourself ask you mother or wife how you drive, she might have different opinion

But the traffic, its insane in US. I have never been so scared as a i was once when we drove from LA to Vegas..

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Yeah, I enjoyed me some Texas highway last month.

Drove across the whole State in 12 hours.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

I drove from Boise to Dallas, well 3 times but the last time I did it, back in 01, I detoured through Utah and from just north of Salt Lake, all pretty much to the Idaho border, is nothing but red sanded desert highway where you could see for miles.I drove 100 for several hours without any worries, wouldve gone faster if not for the stupid governor chips in that toyota pickup

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

Yeah, I hate driving in LA.

I had to go to a funeral in the middle of the city last year. I broke every traffic law that day. But we made it in time.
Luckily I was in a rental car(fastest car on the road)

It got crazy.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

I had to drive through Utah in August a few years ago. It was miserable.
The car was overheating bad, I had leave the AC off or it would have died on me.

I killed the car on that trip. A 98 Dodge Avenger.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Ah, well luckily for me it was mid october and there was already snow on the mountain tops, it was a pleasant drive.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
How do these rules change if your from the U.K?

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Sin11001

I don't know, change mph to kmph?

The UK is one of the few places I have not been.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

With all due respect, you forgot to mention people who hover. Either get in the left lane and pass (or go 80)or get back in the right lane. Stop hovering around in front of me making it impossible to pass your stupid non driving behinds.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

Ooh, good point.

That can be number 6.

top topics

join