It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Being Politically Correct Cause Psychological Damage and Mental Retardation?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I've been living in Europe for about twenty years now, and even though I was shocked by the freedom of speech here back then, I think the PC thing has gotten even more restrictive since I left the US. We used ot be able to say someone was "black" back then, and it was correct.

Just in terms of speaking ones opinion on controversial topics, I am now used to that, but I observe a HUGE difference in the way americans take that- they get upset, they take it personally that another has an opposing opinion and expresses it! They act as if the intent MUST be to hurt them, or else it wouldn't be spoken outloud.

I have had some americans (even in this forum) proclaim that that must be done because europeans like to make each other feel bad.

But it doesn't. Nobody feels bad because others have different opinions, or because they dared to voice them. Frankly, I had no real opinion on anything until I started doing this too, and speaking out, and having to put my thoughts into order.... and having them questioned, debated- the holes in my logic pointed out, so I could work on better construction.

In this way, the opposition and argument of others enabled me to better construct who I am, personality wise. I began to appreciate those who oppose me, as a you appreciate your opponent in a sport.
It is resistance training for the mind, and makes for bigger "mental muscles"!

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
I like folks who consider the impact of their words before they spout off.

Well said.
I agree.

I guess that potentially makes us both psychologically damaged, people who enjoy the company of the mentally retarded, or psychologically damaged mental retards.

- Lee

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

It's not a growing trend, it's perfectly legal.

Yes, it is. It was almost unheard of just 10 years ago or maybe less and I know its perfectly legal in at will states, I never mentioned legality, I just said its ridiculous and so is your nipicking my posts and putting words in my mouth.

Schools are now doing the same thing, suspending students for doing something completely off campus, hell sometimes not even on a school day.
If I got suspended every time I got in trouble off campus, I wouldve been suspended every day of the year.

@ the thread;

I wanted to add this. I dont go out of my way to voice my non-pc opinions in social engagements, in fact I will avoid controversial topics if I can, thats what this place is for

I will only give my opinion when pressed on a subject, that way, if someone is offended, I can just say, hey you asked.
edit on 11/23/2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I've never understood PC thinking. For example, the old: "I respect all opinions." Why?? Do you respect the opinions of Adolph Hitler or Charles Manson? Satan? Timothy McVeigh?

No thanks.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
DP
edit on 23-11-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
I've been living in Europe for about twenty years now, and even though I was shocked by the freedom of speech here back then, I think the PC thing has gotten even more restrictive since I left the US. We used ot be able to say someone was "black" back then, and it was correct.

Just in terms of speaking ones opinion on controversial topics, I am now used to that, but I observe a HUGE difference in the way americans take that- they get upset, they take it personally that another has an opposing opinion and expresses it! They act as if the intent MUST be to hurt them, or else it wouldn't be spoken outloud.

I have had some americans (even in this forum) proclaim that that must be done because europeans like to make each other feel bad.

But it doesn't. Nobody feels bad because others have different opinions, or because they dared to voice them. Frankly, I had no real opinion on anything until I started doing this too, and speaking out, and having to put my thoughts into order.... and having them questioned, debated- the holes in my logic pointed out, so I could work on better construction.

In this way, the opposition and argument of others enabled me to better construct who I am, personality wise. I began to appreciate those who oppose me, as a you appreciate your opponent in a sport.
It is resistance training for the mind, and makes for bigger "mental muscles"!

This is exactly what I'm talking about! See? Europe! They do this free speech thing over there! IN EUROPE! People, Europe! That means progress in American.
edit on 23-11-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Show your swagger!!!

PCtards can suck on these

( ) ( )

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Show your swagger!!!

PCtards can suck on these

( ) ( )

( ) ( )

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trustfund

Originally posted by Honor93

Originally posted by Honor93
reply to post by Trustfund

If you're an adult in America there's no excuse to give for being hatefully bigoted against a group of people.
so why then is Obama excused on a regular basis ??

Yep, everyday.
you call that an answer ?
i asked for a reason why ... why is the adult? in charge, excused for his often bigotted speech ?

or his political arm-twisting groups that do the same ... like that survey we were discussing yesterday.

I don't really know what you're referring to.. I haven't heard Obama say anything hatefully bigoted, especially not on a regular basis.

edit on 23-11-2012 by Trustfund because: (no reason given)
so, i'm guessing you employ "selective hearing" when he speaks ??
in case you missed them, his reference to "cracker" isn't bigotted ??
his reference to the entire police department that spurred the infamous "beer summit" wasn't bigotted either, right ?

your "selective hearing" isn't doing you any justice or anyone else for that matter.
edit on 23-11-2012 by Honor93 because: typo

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
its a form of thought control by the state / corporations to keep the mindless masses under control ... it prevents free speach and stops people thinking for themselves... yet one more form of western oppression.... they can stuff political correctness ... not my concern if they cant handle blunt honesty ... I call things as they are without mincing words... life to short to put up with such stupidity as political correctness...

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

People conform to the group and the herd, it is in there nature. Very few people can break out of it, most that think they are above it are really not, even some of the smartest people you will meet are really kind of idiots when it comes to thinks such as this. But then again the label of smart can take any number of meanings, most times its just used for people who copy pasted a lot of info on there minds, which really is a non issue in the scope of things in fact with the dawn of tech and stuff such as smartphones such things will really become less of a issues as anybody can literally look up things and data in minutes, and if we go more advanced and cyberized you can literally download all that stuff into your head in instances, what you do with all that data is an all together different thing, as there is a whole world of difference between being smart and being wise.

But the whole group conform thing does does serve a function, that function however has been used and abused by all kinds of groups and people in power for there ends since pretty much humans started to live in large groups such as towns and cities. Facebook and other such sites are in some way good examples of such instinctual behavior, not that I hate Facebook people like others seem to. In fact some of the coolest people I know seem to like Facebook and all that, me however I am more reserved on such things mostly because I do not fit the mold now, nor do I think I ever will.

To cut things short and to answer your question political correctness is more of a instinctual and psychological thing, but even political correctness has its purpose, however when it is taken to such extents it become detrimental and group dynamics is can also become a tool for other and other forces to control large group of people without them even being aware of it, political correctness is but a small aspect of that. As I dont really like writing things just watch the ash experiment it will clarify things on how the political game is run, and how the whole PC thing is used and what it is all about, and once you know how it is run you will in time find out why it is run like that, and beyond that, well you don't want to know nor would you believe it.

edit on 23-11-2012 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-11-2012 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

reply to post by Juggernog

And I do think for myself, as Ive stated in this thread more than once.

I don't think you do. Pretty sure you're just societally conditioned to view gay marriage as a weird or negative thing... There is no reason why a straight person would care about gay people being legally allowed to marry as it has zero affect on your life.

But if you're not influenced by society, then you're influenced by your own self importance... as you think you should be able to discriminate on others due to solely YOUR beliefs. This is actually worse than the latter option. Why be proud to oppress others?

Well see now here we go....."societally conditioned" is a large scale type new age politically correct mind bomb the clouded minds use to put free thinking in the corner. "societally conditioning" is an idea someone came up with to marginalize opposing views. "Poor things dont even know that they are brainwashed products of environment".

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Religion has already done that to people..

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrandStrategy

This is good.

But I am old enough to remember the day when the product of environment was started to be used as a defence of poor young black men pulling crime and thus we should try to have some mercy on them.

If you were white and poor and pulling crime however you were still a scumbag and should know better.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Well I am interested in what you have to say, I was a psychology major in college and we did get into topics such as social engineering, so I would probably believe what you had to say. Thanks for the videos, I'll check them out.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

When did Obama call anyone a cracker?

All do you do is troll on here lol.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Yea, I havent heard that one either.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Trustfund, what is your background and what is the culture like where you live?

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

If you truly consider that PC is common curtesy or good manners then you may be correct in what you say you may be. The problem with PC is that it prevents you from telling or even thinking the truth. As I have had to point out to management many times, you can call that part of a wall a door as often as you like but it will STILL be a wall but you are welcome to walk into it. I won't.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

reply to post by Honor93

When did Obama call anyone a cracker?

All do you do is troll on here lol.

i could provide a link to him saying it but i cannot view the video before posting it ... so, search it if you wish, it's out there and i'm not posting that which i currently, cannot view first.

i see you aren't questioning the "beer summit" ... sooooo ... what makes that bigotted behavior OK ? i mean geez, he had just been inaugurated, if that was exemplary of him being on his Best Behavior, i'd hate to hear what he has to say when the cameras are Off.

ETA -- i may have mis-spoke regarding Obama making the cracker remark but one of the public politicos did and in reference to multiple counties of one state ...
he actually called them "cracker counties"

although, i'm pretty sure i saw BHO make an unexpected, uncensored comment during his 1st campaign trail should you desire looking for it.

since you're nit-picking, didn't he make offensive commentary in regards to Big Bird or one of the Sesame characters ?? if i'm wrong i apologize in advance but if not ... how tactless to attack a well-known children's character ... that's about as bigotted as it can get ... offend a whole group & their parents, all at once.
edit on 23-11-2012 by Honor93 because: ETA

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join