It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stratfor Hacker - LIFE in Prison - Judges Husband Was a Victim in the attack!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
rt.com...

'A pretrial hearing in the case against accused LulzSec hacker Jeremy Hammond this week ended with the 27-year-old Chicago man being told he could be sentenced to life in prison for compromising the computers of Stratfor.
Judge Loretta Preska told Hammond in a Manhattan courtroom on Tuesday that he could be sentenced to serve anywhere from 360 months-to-life if convicted on all charges relating to last year’s hack of Strategic Forecasting, or Stratfor, a global intelligence company whose servers were infiltrated by an offshoot of the hacktivist collective Anonymous.
Hammond is not likely to take the stand until next year, but so far has been imprisoned for eight months without trial. Legal proceedings in the case might soon be called into question, however, after it’s been revealed that Judge Preska’s husband was a victim of the Stratfor hack.'

Talk about an unjust legal system where the Judge's husband was one of the victims! Not very likely that this judge will be able to make an unbiased opinion to say the least!

Has anyone else heard much about this case? I must admit that I only heard about this from Anonymous and their twitter feed so can't say too much on the subject yet, but my first thoughts are that facing life for this just seems insane! Here in the UK we had a guy recently sentenced to 7 years after basically gambling £1.5billion of a major banks money in very unsafe investments and murderers also seem to serve only about 15-20 years in the end (which I am not saying is right, obviously it is wrong) but that just gives you an idea of how over the top the life sentence seems to be to me an Englishman.

Also the fact that the Judges husband was a victim of the attack seems insane! I hope this has only recently come out otherwise there are some major issues of impartiality and bias in the justice system. The Judge herself should have raised this point and pulled herself from the case, not doing so imo shows that she wanted to be on the case for one reason or the other.

Thoughts everyone?

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I hate to note the fact I said this back then and as a member of Stratfor's consumer base that was ALSO burned by these little punks.....but they asked for this.

If you want to be utterly destroyed, go kick someone like Obama in the shins, directly and in person. He'll insure you're destroyed. Indeed. If you want to just have meaningful life end for all intents and purposes? Well, the President can't do much..he has limits. Directly seek out and go after the Intelligence professionals at all levels, Government people in all areas and those people who make their whole life in the shadows and spots in between where the light never quite reaches.Sure, pick them to attack. It's not like they don't do this for a living. ( ?? )

Nothing they did warrants a life sentence. That's absurd to the point of obscene....but then if you tell a cop he's an &%$#!O( to his face, you won't deserve the beating you're about to receive either. Contempt of Cop is a charge far worse than contempt of Court because it's PERSONAL. What they did to Stratfor made it PERSONAL to people in all levels of Justice and Government, in nations all over the Globe.

Nice target for headline value and to martyr one's self over..but they need not whine about the ACME safe now falling on their head. They did go right to ACME and ask for it to be done.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

Funny how the American Gov't is totally allowed to spy on our emails, text messages, phone calls (internet phone calls most definitely included, ie Skpe, Vent), voicemails, and probably hacking some of our actual computers, all without OUR consent. It's amazing they are allowed to spy and hack their enemies and allies alike! But when a civilian does it, especially to them, it's life in jail! Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

edit on 23-11-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Jeebus wrabbit i thought you were on our side........!
Obviously ive misjudged you , my sincere apologies......

tis sad to hear the condemnations because this guy obviously has real principals, and the backbone to make the attempt to do something other than armchair general the world on ATS......
I admire this mans stance and Stratfor was the ideal target IMHO.........
Sure he stuck a stick into the wasps nest, but maye he thought he might have back up when the time came for court.....
Surely he knew there was ample chance of getting caught......
The whistle blowers and the hackers have changed the game plan of the NWO somewhat i believe, and set the whole scheme back a while.....
Which is a good thing because we cant even seem to wake up enough liberty loving people to vote in a change, nor do we even understand what we are up against enough to raise sufficient interest in our freedoms that the people will stand up for justice, or fight to repeal the unconstitutionsl laws that have usurped our freedoms.....
Stratfor is part of the secrecy and elitism we need to erase from our governance.
They ARE the MIC in action, bleeding us white in the name of national and corporate "security"
Which only means the goverments and the corporations" security" to use and abuse the people in the name of power, and profits.
There should be thousands in the streets shouting release this man immediately.....!

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

That's cause the U.S Government suffers from an incredible "Do as I say, not as I do!" attitude.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

When did I say 'Nothing they did warrants a life sentence'?!? You seem to be making a lot of assumptions. I said that I thought it was insane to jail them for life and gave the examples as a way of showing how much more severe crimes often are treated less harshly than ones like these crimes. I obviously think that it is excessive and you seem to have personal; animosity towards them being a victim yourself (which I can not blame you for) but you have to admit having a judge who has been personally effected by the defendant can not be good for justice.

Also you are acting as if they are 100% guilty before the trial?!? What do you know that we all don't? I thought it was innocent until proven guilty, or are you just desperate to have someone to blame and get your anger out towards like the cops who are often desperate to get a conviction on anyone even if they are not the true perpetrator so as long as it makes them look like they have done their job and caught someone.

edit on 10/10/2011 by clintdelicious because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Fantastic point, he has been denied bail and deemed a flight risk despite never having a passport in his life and not only has been labelled as more dangerous than a criminal sexual predator, but has also been declared a terrorist and added to an official list labelling him as one.

When it's an attack against the government or finances the penalties seem to be more severe than murder, which tells you how much the government value many things over their citizens lives. Here in the UK it is even worse with murders and violent criminals who commit terrible acts being given very short sentences and let out after serving sometimes just half of it, at least in the states if someone say murders a family member I know they are likely to get a life sentence that actually means life in prison (here life doesn't not mean so and is sometimes as low as ten years in prison) or even a death sentence in some cases.

He exposed secrets and information that they don't want the public to know, my guess is that he knows more than he did not publish maybe and that they fear that he may have the ability to cause more damage if let out. They would rather let out a murderer who might kill again than let him out for fear of exposing their dirty secrets. That should tell us all a lot about how little they care for life compared with saving their own skin.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I'm with you, this guy was fighting for our freedom and trying to get information which is hidden from the American people. HE suffered because he brought the truth to the public and they are trying to say 'look at this man, if you hack us you will spend the rest of your entire life in a harsh lifers institution with very limited privileges even for a prisoner!'.

You are right imo, they are obviously genuinely afraid of what a person like this could do, especially if what mass numbers of people like this could do, which is exactly why there is such a harsh response. They want to limit the potential number of these offenders and these harsh sentences will ensure it's only the hardcore who will risk everything for the truth and our freedom, which must be commended. By doing so this limits it down to a manageable number where the damage can be limited to non - critical levels.

A shame that when we find a weapon they are able to blunt it's point...

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowLink

There is a lot of that going around in all world governments atm. Am surprised at the lack of interest on this topic. I thought the ATS community would be really fired up for this one over the case in general, let alone how the judge was appointed thus making a mockery of a fair justice system.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Agreed, there isn't too many responses considering the amount of time this has been up.

Perhaps its cause many see the title and think "Anonymous" and choose to overlook it. idk.
This matter does need attention though.

But then again, we all already know how corrupt and unjust our systems really are. So maybe many aren't even surprised.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowLink
reply to post by Swills

That's cause the U.S Government suffers from an incredible "Do as I say, not as I do!" attitude.

People seem to ignore the distinction between a nation state, who is charged with the protection and well being of her citizens, and the actions of an individual who may have placed those very individuals in danger.

I always find it humerous when people complain the US Government is to secretive, going on and on about how secrets are evil and everything should be out in the open, all the while making those arguments behind the anonymous wall of cyberspace.

Speaking of Do as I say, not as I do...

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by ShadowLink
reply to post by Swills

People seem to ignore the distinction between a nation state, who is charged with the protection and well being of her citizens, and the actions of an individual who may have placed those very individuals in danger.

I always find it humerous when people complain the US Government is to secretive, going on and on about how secrets are evil and everything should be out in the open, all the while making those arguments behind the anonymous wall of cyberspace.

So sorry. I'm a firm believer that the U.S has put itself in danger by dipping its fingers into every pot on the globe that they can get their greedy hands into.

I never condoned this one persons actions, nor did I say anything about the U.S Government being to secretive or that secrets are evil.

I think the whole point of this thread is that we have someone who is supposed to be unbiased but is not presiding over a case that holds someones life in their hands.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
This is insane . The judge is taking her personal revenge against this guy . He should immediately be released .

Hammond is not likely to take the stand until next year, but so far has been imprisoned for eight months without trial. Legal proceedings in the case might soon be called into question, however, after it’s been revealed that Judge Preska’s husband was a victim of the Stratfor hack

edit on 23-11-2012 by UltraMarine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

It would be a very big assumption to have made in categorizing me to any side in the first place. I do not follow ideology as any straight rule and I never have. I call things as I seem them and as they come. I've always lived that way....and that pigeon holing everyone insists on doing to neatly categorize each other is as amusing as it's sad for how often people ARE that simple.

Now, there are some people who think attacking EVERYTHING is a good idea and consequences or real people getting hurt, be damned. Those people are flaming idiots. (not referring to present company) Stratfor was, in my opinion, one of the decent organizations in the world for what they do. There are many...most are Government and most are washed in blood to get the data they DO produce once in awhile that isn't tainted or spun so bad it barely looks normal anymore. Lets just destroy all the Strafor's though.....who will be left? The anchors at CNN and Fox? Where do you think the Associated Press and Reuters get some of THEIR data for the wire service feeds CNN and Fox both eat day and night??

No. Sorry.. I have absolutely NO respect for the children who hacked Stratfor or who publish the personal names and addys of hacked police personnel files or the kiddies that just spread everyone's personal Email like it's just confetti at a ticker tape parade. Privacy used to mean something ...and still does to the vast majority. So does security and the right to run a business within the laws applicable in whatever area it's being run in.

Those who did this hack had no respect for any of that..and so, I have NO respect for them.

@OP

You opened a pretty general topic with a fairly focused point. I was replying as much to that point and topic as to your specific words....I try not to make things personal as much as possible in debates. Nothing personal was meant, unless you're an Anon member and take it personally for that. Anon can be anyone...anywhere...and happened to include this guy this time. (shrug) could be Mickey Mouse next week. The name means nothing and sure gives no respect by someone using it to destroy other people. When you go and try to burn the WHOLE world wide system at once....which that membership was.....don't be shocked when life is really really unbearable, if not coming to a close. Life in prison would be a closure, IMO.

It's not right, but it wasn't smart to do in the first place, either.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

Anon are legion.
Anon do not forgive.
Anon do not forget.
Expect them.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Oh yes, the story we're suppose to believe is the US Govt is spying on the entire world, her citizens included, to protect us.... So far, how has spying on American citizens prevented a terrorist attack? I guess re authorization indefinitely detaining Americans is for our protection as well. I can't wait for our skies to be filled with drones to help our beloved Govt continue to protect us from ourselves.

Truth is this govt isn't protecting anyone but themselves but if you wish to continue to believe the old wives tale that they are protecting us, go right ahead.

So it's okay for the Govt to spy in secret but not for her citizens.... Do as I say not as I do started with this Govt.
edit on 24-11-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
Oh yes, the story we're suppose to believe is the US Govt is spying on the entire world, her citizens included, to protect us.... So far, how has spying on American citizens prevented a terrorist attack?

We wont know because the spying worked to prevent those attacks...

I guess re authorization indefinitely detaining Americans is for our protection as well. I can't wait for our skies to be filled with drones to help our beloved Govt continue to protect us from ourselves.

Fear monger thru ignorance much?

The NDAA is being appealed however the government will not win its case. The topic has been ruled on several times now and all the arguments the government has made, both under Bush and now OIbama, have failed.

As for drones what part of no expectation of privacy in public do you fail to understand? Go buy your own model airplane, attackj cameras to it, and fly it around.

Better yet quit bitching, get off your ass and vote.

Truth is this govt isn't protecting anyone but themselves but if you wish to continue to believe the old wives tale that they are protecting us, go right ahead.

This goes back to not having all the information so you bhave absolutely no idea what terror attacks have been prevented.

So it's okay for the Govt to spy in secret but not for her citizens.... Do as I say not as I do started with this Govt.

I said there is a difference between a nation state spying on another nation state and a citizen illegally accessing classified information they took an oath to keep secret and divulding it (Manning's case and this case now).

Paranoia runs in both directions and can run rampant if you do not apply common sense to the situation. The government has a right to keep certains info secret, even from its own people. We do not live in a direct democracy.. The sooner people understand that concept the better of we would all be.

Republic is the term people ignore... Representative Republic to be exact... Which means you elect people to represent you in government and act on your behalf, which means the person you elected, and not you, gets to see the info in question;.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

We wont know because the spying worked to prevent those attacks...

We won't know? The FBI has done a bang up job showing America how its has single handily stopped terrorist attacks on America, whether they helped or not. So to think the US Gov't and it's politicians wouldn't be bragging about how great it is that their spying on Americans is producing results is pretty naive.

Fear monger thru ignorance much?

The NDAA is being appealed however the government will not win its case. The topic has been ruled on several times now and all the arguments the government has made, both under Bush and now OIbama, have failed.

As for drones what part of no expectation of privacy in public do you fail to understand? Go buy your own model airplane, attackj cameras to it, and fly it around.

Better yet quit bitching, get off your ass and vote.

Fear mongering? How dare you. It is a fact the Gov't can and will continue to uphold 2012's NDAA addon, indefinitely detain US citizens. I'm well aware of the NY district federal Judge who ruled it unconstitutional and I'm also aware the Obama administrations lawyers immediately appealed the decision and they won thanks to another federal judge's ruling. I'm also aware DC is planning on reauthorizing the definite detention of Americans for 2013s NDAA. Unless there's even more recent news where Judge Katherine Forrests ruling stands? Either way, the fact the Obama snuck this into law on New Years Eve after saying he wouldn't tells me not to trust Washington DC but you go right ahead and continue making excuses for them while accusing ME of the fear mongering... Good lord.

This goes back to not having all the information so you bhave absolutely no idea what terror attacks have been prevented.

You can call it whatever you want but I seriously doubt spying on all of America, even building a bigger all encompassing spy base to spy on America, has thwarted any terrorist attacks. Spying on me isn't getting you Al Qaeda. But why even spy on me when the US is still currently supporting the very terrorists we are supposed to be fighting. But I'm still fear mongering, right? The US isn't at all funding Al Qaeda in Syria and Libya, right?

I said there is a difference between a nation state spying on another nation state and a citizen illegally accessing classified information they took an oath to keep secret and divulding it (Manning's case and this case now).

I'm going to go on a limb here and say Stratfor, a civilian company hired out by the DOD, never took any oath. Any real classified intelligence is NEVER connected to the internet. Ever. Stratfor just had their information hacked and any "intelligence" we the people got was from their stolen emails.

TextParanoia runs in both directions and can run rampant if you do not apply common sense to the situation. The government has a right to keep certains info secret, even from its own people. We do not live in a direct democracy.. The sooner people understand that concept the better of we would all be.

Republic is the term people ignore... Representative Republic to be exact... Which means you elect people to represent you in government and act on your behalf, which means the person you elected, and not you, gets to see the info in question;.

Like I said, keep making your excuses for an OUT OF CONTROL Gov't but you are becoming the minority, thank god.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

This is because we supposedly have the guaranteed right to personal privacy. Who ever gave government that right? I think government was intended to be far more transparent than it is. I understand that sometimes secrecy is necessary for national security. Truly necessary. But I believe, and I am very far from alone, that the government very often masquerades behind the banner of "national security" to cover up their own misdeeds and / or things which would (rightfully) outrage the public.

Anyone who tries to say that it's all for the public good and never abused is, in my opinion, either ignorant of human nature, the nature of government, or purposely lying to serve an agenda.

new topics

top topics

join