It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bible in a Nutshell

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

I agree here, as I've said before, no one but God knows everything. It matters not how old one is, we will always have much to learn. The difference in our knowledges, yours and mine, is infinitely small compared to the difference between our knowledge and God's knowledge.

I didn't mean to offend you with my beliefs and I feel as though I might have. If the two of us disagree that is okay with me, but I'm sure there are a few points where we do agree and surely we can rejoice in the fact that we agree we are both creations of the Almighty.

Edit: In regards to my mother you would've had to be present. The conversation on my end was quite calm and collected. She has a variety of mental illnesses and ultimately I was trying to ask her to treat others with more respect than she generally does. She's very bitter about life, she does not believe in God and hates all of his children with a passion. I was trying to loosen her up and love his children.

I'm in my early thirties by the way.
edit on 23-11-2012 by Symbiot because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I know I have much to learn, I am just a child of 40+ years. It is by grace alone that I am saved.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Symbiot
reply to post by kinglizard

Thank you for your input. Clearly I believe the only laws are the laws created by God himself, again the laws of physics. However; I believe the word called Christ are guidelines that can lead one to a peaceful and happy existence. One is free not to follow Christ, but know if you refuse to accept ideologies such as love, acceptance, tolerance and giving you will only condemn yourself to a life of misery.

To love one another is to accept that we are all created by God and that he does not make mistakes. To accept that no person's existence is a mistake. Acceptance and tolerance follow the same lines, with tolerance I believe we would do well to tolerate the mistakes we all make, tolerate their mistakes and perhaps they will tolerate yours for we are all fallible. To give to another is to give to God's children, they are all worthy of receiving for they were all created by the almighty himself.

The issue I have here is that the words you are saying, and the actions you took with your mother (the story you gave concerning her) are two very, very different things. Actions speak louder than words sometimes and you treated her in a very disrespectful and unGodlike manner. Perhaps you don't see that due to your age (late teen/early 20's as my guess) but your actions toward her are not something to be proud of in any way, shape or form. You did a great disservice to her, to yourself and to God.

You do not "force" someone to do anything, you compel, you explain, you encourage.... Your actions must match your words or they are just hollow words and nothing more.

reply to post by Symbiot

Perhaps it would be wise to pray for some guidance in how to deal with her and how to best bring her into understanding. The example you gave was very disturbing and sounded much like gloating about trying to intimidate her.

That's not a method that Christ would have used at all. .... and of course my own actions in lashing out at you for it weren't a good example either, yet, that's what I did.

Think about what you wish to convey, pray about it and let God do the work through you. It will make a world of difference.
edit on 23-11-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

I don't understand, at what point did I force anyone to do anything. She could've left the conversation at any time of her choosing and she did. She pays their salary and lied about it. Should I not point out her lies? I should enable her fantasy instead?

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

I don't understand, at what point did I force anyone to do anything. She could've left the conversation at any time of her choosing and she did. She pays their salary and lied about it. Should I not point out her lies? I should enable her fantasy instead?

No, you shouldn't point them out. And you definitely shouldn't laugh about it while sharing the event with other people. That was the part that was most upsetting.

You should find a way to help her see them herself.

Confrontation only brings about more confrontation. Understanding brings about knowledge.

edit on 23-11-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Perhaps I just explained the discussion incorrectly. I was not at all confrontational, very calm and collected. I rarely if ever raise my voice. I wish you could meet my mother to help understand, but it is rare for her to hold a conversation where she does not raise her voice. She is deathly afraid of failure and when someone tries to show her something she does not wish to believe she becomes extremely agitated. Unfortunately there is no way I can try to help her without upsetting her.

Honestly it is very rare that she and I have a discussion because I don't want to get 'into' it like we did in that discussion. The only way to avoid such a situation with her is to either lie about your opinion or not have the conversation at all so I simply don't have the conversation most of the time. She will not accept a disagreement, she will become very angry.

And I don't think I ever found the situation funny or ever laughed about it.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Perhaps I just explained the discussion incorrectly. I was not at all confrontational, very calm and collected. I rarely if ever raise my voice. I wish you could meet my mother to help understand, but it is rare for her to hold a conversation where she does not raise her voice. She is deathly afraid of failure and when someone tries to show her something she does not wish to believe she becomes extremely agitated. Unfortunately there is no way I can try to help her without upsetting her.

Honestly it is very rare that she and I have a discussion because I don't want to get 'into' it like we did in that discussion. The only way to avoid such a situation with her is to either lie about your opinion or not have the conversation at all so I simply don't have the conversation most of the time. She will not accept a disagreement, she will become very angry.

And I don't think I ever found the situation funny or ever laughed about it.

You will agree to pray about it and ask for guidance in dealing with her more effectively? Regardless of your feelings about the previous interaction, you do see that with God working through you, you could be much more effective?

It's worth a try and you will be a better person for allowing him to do what needs to be done. He knows the words to say, he kknows the actions to take. Let go and let God.

May his will be done....

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Well past my bedtime. I do hope you allow God to do what needs to be done. It's not always easy to give in completely, but it's often the best and easiest way in the grand scheme of things.

Good luck in future interactions with your mother.... with God's help.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

I often ask God for strength and guidance. My mother claims she doesn't believe in God, but from the way it sounds I think she blames him for the pain she's endured over the years. She hates him.

See you around friend.
edit on 24-11-2012 by Symbiot because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Look and treat a stranger as you would like to be treated.

Words of wisdom by the way. Thank you.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join