It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-Cigarettes and Quitting Smoking

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Quick rundown:

There are many models and many companies. The correct model style and brand will need to be determined by the user to suit needs. Ecigs have become more advanced over the years. Its been about 1 year since ive been in the industry. Before FDA decided to regulate, the industry was self regulated by approved vendors in the forum listed in my post #3 of this thread. This is the leading authority on Ecigs.
I DO NOT recommend anyone enter a trail offer of any kind related to this product. It is a scam!
Do not get disposable units.(they are what the claim disposable and usually of low quality)
I also do not recommend buying any product that uses cartomizers (replaceable disposable filters)
Ecigs originally started with a mixture of Propylene Glycol(PG), nicotine and flavor. It has has expanded to a thicker substitute of vegetable glycerin(VG) wich has a larger vapor production vs PG. Some people will experience a mild respiratory allergic reaction to PG (which is not life threatening to my understanding) and so VG is a preferred substitute for those individuals.
I dont recommend cartomizers(basic cartomizers) because it creates a financial gimmick for retailers. I recommend a reusable cartridge and buying the Eliquid separate and refill as required.
Be careful of MOD units, as some are unstable and may have self destructive effects on the units and can cause injury, i.e. explosive batteries.
Eliquid is structured by milligram per milliliter MG/ML. For heaviest long term smokers it it vital that you start as high as possible. The largest cause of failure is low nicotine concentration, and relapse because of insufficient stockpile of reserve liquid.
The determined industry self regulated safe maximum level of nicotine concentration is 36mg/ml this may be considered XXXhigh by some companies, however you may see variations in the verbiage. The number is the important factor. While some companies may consider high to be 16mg/ml some may consider high to be 24mg/ml.
Ecic batteries come in different sizes also. While the Joye 510(one of the most popular units and atomizers) may be a 180mAh or 240mAh, they only last about 1.5 hours. Although they are verry small and similar to size to a real cigarette, they may take 3 hours to charge. Battery power, last I checked was up to 1400mAh and would vape constantly for 48hours or more. The level of your usage will determine what is suitable for you.
Many factors go into your satisfaction, vapor production, which is purely cosmetic but visually satisfying, nicotine concentration, battery power(voltage) and life, quality of unit, flavor etc. Choice will be for you to decide and many people on ecig forum can help you decide.
Finally , please do not abuse your new toy, dont vape in restaurants, or in non smoking areas. Treat it like a real cigarette to appease the ignorant.
Happy vaping

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
www.vapor4life.com...

That is what I am choosing for myself and my wife.

Good or bad?

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

I cannot give you a yes or no answer instead the best answer I can give you is this:
www.e-cigarette-forum.com...

Vapor4life is included on the list as an approved vendor.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Quailar

Thank you,I'll give a report in a few weeks to let you know how it works out.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by rival
My personal problem was I enjoy the smoking ritual. By that I mean, lighting
the cigarette, smoking for awhile and then extinguishing the butt. Doing it that way
you have a beginning, a middle, and an end.

With the E-cig there is no ritual. The smoke production is fine. The nicotine is fine (you
can even get way to much if you order the strong formula). Everything about was fine...
....I just didn't know when to quit.

I had that issue as well. I found myself just puffing and puffing all day. After using it for over a year I've kind of gotten a feeling for when I'm done. If im not doing anything/bored or if I'm drunk then I usually chain smoke it like crazy, but if I'm doing something then I usually just puff away until I put it down and don't think about picking it back up. I have to admit, I really enjoy totally satisfying my nicotine craving, and I never felt like I was able to do that with analog cigarettes without feeling bad.

Having never been an inside smoker, it was hard to break the ritual of going outside and contemplating life, but it was able to fit into other rituals and add a few. Like it does reasonably well settling the stomach after a meal, and I've found that it's quite nice while on the can. After sex? Pretty good, but I can't really compare it to analog.

To kdog1982, I really hope you enjoy your new habit. This may be unnecessary, but be sure to follow the directions on charging your battery the first time. I'm not familiar with your model and I'm assuming it's a lithium ion battery, but I didn't follow it on mine and my batteries had issues for a while.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MeesterB

Analog cigarette.
That is a pretty good term,I like that.

Never thought about the beginning and the end.
I pretty much chain smoke ,especially with my job and driving alot.

When I need it most is what privileged I have lost.
Smoking in elevator machine rooms,staring at some wiring diagrams, troubleshooting a problem with an elevator.
www.elevatorpreservation.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
As others have said e-cigs are incredibly easy to 'chain vape', they are very satisfying and I have sometimes found myself smoking on the thing continually - so be careful of that as it will end up costing you in refills etc!

Get yourself a starter kit - mine is from here www.easyvape.co.uk.... I recommend if its your first e-cig then make sure you get an automatic one.

You might be tempted to go for the cigarette flavours but I really dislike them. You may also be tempted to go for an e-cig which has the look and feel of a regular cigarette or cigar - these are generally not very good and the battery life is poor.

If you choose a nice starter kit you will be well set up, I've been vaping for a while now and haven't smoked since I switched to them.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Yeah!!!
The package arrived today from Vapor4Life.

I charged it up,screw in the cartomizer which happens to be something close to my clove cigars.
I got the manual kind were you push a button each time you take a drag off of it.

Took my first drag off of it and about gagged!I didn't think it would be that strong!

Took a little while to get accustomed to it,but I think I like it.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Ok,I can totally make this work.
I'm hooked!
My first one lasted about an hour and a half before the battery died.
Took about 2 hours to charge back up.
In the mean time,I left the second ecig with the wife and smoked my "analog" ones.
I took it back and told her I would get her own for xmas.

So,with my smoking habit,I need at least 2 or three of the batteries in rotation,just because I want to keep with in the size I am comfortable with.
Funny as I type this,I was trying to flick the ashes off my ecig.

So far.....

Now,who wants to buy 4 packs of Djarum Blacks I got?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
First 24 hours with the v4l.
I cut my smoking in half,no problem.

I think I got the nicotine level a little high,at 24 mg,because I do not need to puff as much and the battery lasted at least 8 hours.
And it's so convenient.
Stick it in my pocket and hit it a few times when I feel the need,put it back in my pocket.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Experimenting with my new toys.

Working on getting close the flavor and the unique numbing qualities to the cloves.
Trying different brands and what not.
Learning about filling up the carts and not overfilling.

The best part is telling others about the ecigs and vaping and the interests in the variety that is out there.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Just remember not to smoke it on a bus! www.guardian.co.uk... Hahahahaha!

Good on ya! Sounds like the e-cigs are working for you!

I bought a set a little over year ago (lovely girly pink ones). And they're good. Really good. You get the sensation of smoking, and I was well pleased. However, one of mine got ruined within a week, and I found that whilst my other one was charging, I went back to smoking in between.

When I ever decide to stop again I will do more research on a good manufacturer to make sure they won't break after a week... but I'll still go for pink ones if the option is there.

Best of luck to you!

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

I use the Blu with menthol flavor. If I pick up this instead of a cigarette I can enjoy the hell out of it. But that cigarette wins every time. The e-cig is really great when I'm at work in my non-smoking factory.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
@kdog1982
Welcome to your new found freedom!!!!!
reply to post by aspiechick

What I have realized in my experience is that there are different tiers of manufacturors. The problem is the #1 is no better than the number #5 if they are both in the top tier. I recently bought a product from...i forget but the manufacturor was rated the #1 in the industry- Joye - and out performed in vapor for one week then fell apart faster than lesser models. It is an ocean out there and sometimes hit or miss even with good companies.

Thats why I cannot recommend any one brand, each person must go through the trials themselves and find the right product and the right vendor. What I can say is the 510 is a good model and many have been modeled after it such as ego vgo etc.

A bad manufactured unit will do a few notieable things:
1.. vapor pruduction is crap...its like sucking a watermelon through a straw to get a hit
2. battery is crap.... and eliquid runs into your mouth because it doesnt heat up well enough and consistantly enough.
3. battery chargers are crap....and units will malfunction with charging problems.

As with all electronics defective units are part of the process...
Also remember an ecig will never be like a real analog cig. It doesnt have a flame that causes combustion and it has about 5000 less chemicals, but is a good substitute and If you start at a high nicotine you will usually do ok in the long run. It takes a little getting used to and you may have to ween yourself off the analogs at first, but stick with it, chain vape if you have to and equlibrium will find you.

Happy vaping

edit on 24-12-2012 by Quailar because: (typos)

edit on 24-12-2012 by Quailar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I started with vapor4life but they do not last long and their shipping is ridiculously overpriced. The batteries die WAY too quickly. The ones I have now have lasted me 6 months plus, and I charge it once a day like my cell phone. TAKE MY ADVICE liberty flights has the best pricing around and they are the ONLY company that accepts paypal just FYI. I made all the wrong mistakes when I first started vaping and spent WAY too much money. Do this, save money.....and you will quit. I challenge you.

Go to:

www.liberty-flights.com...

Buy a Riva 950 MAH battery, matching cone, charger, a 510 drip tip, and 5 pack box of 510 cartomizers. If you buy two batteries and cones and chargers it will cost you and your wife about the same as a carton of cigarettes.

Then go to altcig.com and get these flavors to try:

Tobacco Love
Vanilla Love
Banana Milkshake (my fave)
Vanilla Mint

Or deejstuff.com

Shade (great tobacco flavor)
Shade Cherry
Black Fire Honey (my all time favorite flavor)
Tahitian Vanilla Taffy
Sweet Gingerbread

There you go. I quit smoking cigarettes after 20 years of smoking a pack of Marlboro lights on Jan 6th of 2011 and will NEVER go back. My husband finally caught on, and he has quit too.

Once you try it for a week, I dare you to smoke one cigarette and you'll be begging for your Tobacco Love. The cigarette will taste like a$$

I say VAPE ON

edit on 24-12-2012 by 413dreaming because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-12-2012 by 413dreaming because: Added more information.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
i use the website liberty flights..... and i use the riva 510..... helped me completely quit cigs altogether

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by 413dreaming
I started with vapor4life but they do not last long and their shipping is ridiculously overpriced. The batteries die WAY too quickly. The ones I have now have lasted me 6 months plus, and I charge it once a day like my cell phone. TAKE MY ADVICE liberty flights has the best pricing around and they are the ONLY company that accepts paypal just FYI. I made all the wrong mistakes when I first started vaping and spent WAY too much money. Do this, save money.....and you will quit. I challenge you.

Go to:

www.liberty-flights.com...

Buy a Riva 950 MAH battery, matching cone, charger, a 510 drip tip, and 5 pack box of 510 cartomizers. If you buy two batteries and cones and chargers it will cost you and your wife about the same as a carton of cigarettes.

Then go to altcig.com and get these flavors to try:

Tobacco Love
Vanilla Love
Banana Milkshake (my fave)
Vanilla Mint

Or deejstuff.com

Shade (great tobacco flavor)
Shade Cherry
Black Fire Honey (my all time favorite flavor)
Tahitian Vanilla Taffy
Sweet Gingerbread

There you go. I quit smoking cigarettes after 20 years of smoking a pack of Marlboro lights on Jan 6th of 2011 and will NEVER go back. My husband finally caught on, and he has quit too.

Once you try it for a week, I dare you to smoke one cigarette and you'll be begging for your Tobacco Love. The cigarette will taste like a$$

I say VAPE ON

edit on 24-12-2012 by 413dreaming because: Added more information.

Thank you for sharing that,I will have to check it out.
I'm still in the experimental phase,waiting on my next bottle of juice to try.
BTW,I was spending $9 a day on my clove cigars which have 12 little cigars in each pack versus pre-obama days and a pack of 20 regular cigarettes at $ 4 a pack.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

I use the Blu with menthol flavor. If I pick up this instead of a cigarette I can enjoy the hell out of it. But that cigarette wins every time. The e-cig is really great when I'm at work in my non-smoking factory.

That's what I love about it is that I can almost smoke anywhere.I don't have to go outside or sit in my truck catching up my nicotine levels,know what I mean?

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by 413dreaming

They don't have my cloves.
www.e-cigarette-forum.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join