It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-Cigarettes and Quitting Smoking

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I was thinking that a nice xmas give to myself and my wife would be an e cigarette.

I have smoked Djarum Blacks,a clove cigarette that became a cigar after the Obama administration took hold, for about
17 years now.I'm 48 years old now and never liked regular cigs.
My goal is to quit.
My wife smoked prior to having kids,and gave it up when she first found out she was pregnant.
She took up the bad habit again a few years ago due to stress in our relationship.

I'm looking into the clove alternative and finding one for her for her menthols.

Here is a place I am looking into.
www.vapor4life.com...

What are your thoughts on the e-cigs?

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I've been thinking about getting on them lately. I'm a pack-a-day smoker, and have been for about 13 years.
The odd thing in Australia is you can import them fine, but cannot buy internally. Weird laws.
But to be honest, if I have a beer and feel like a smoke, I'm going to feel a little odd holding a bit of plastic with a red light up to my mouth.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

IMHO ecigs are a great product. Here is the bad part many units are cheaply made. Online is definately the place to be for quality units and vapor4life is supposed ot be a good place to start.

The world of Ecigs is very deep and in depth containing 100's of models and almost as many manufacturers. if you have specific detailed questions I recommend ask the experts:
www.e-cigarette-forum.com...

how ever I rrecommend electronic cigarettes. It will take about 2 weeks to wean yourself off analogs, but if you keep at it and start with a high Mg/Ml nicotine like 36 the highest, you make better progress.

Happy vaping

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quailar

IMHO ecigs are a great product. Here is the bad part many units are cheaply made. Online is definately the place to be for quality units and vapor4life is supposed ot be a good place to start.

The world of Ecigs is very deep and in depth containing 100's of models and almost as many manufacturers. if you have specific detailed questions I recommend ask the experts:
www.e-cigarette-forum.com...

how ever I recommend electronic cigarettes. It will take about 2 weeks to wean yourself off analogs, but if you keep at it and start with a high Mg/Ml nicotine like 36 the highest, you make better progress.

Happy vaping

I second Quailar's advice. There is an area on ECF targeted specifically to educate prospective vapers on the different types of ecigs available, and in the new member's area you can get advice on what's best for your needs.

You can find me there under the guise of dgm76513

As I type this, I'm puffing on my Empire

edit on 20-11-2012 by Deemo Diablo because: (no reason given)

And to stay on topic, I think they're great. I've been smoke-free since June 1st. Beware of scams though. There's a lot of places that sell you a kit for $100 that you could easily pick up for $30-$40.
edit on 20-11-2012 by Deemo Diablo because: felt like it

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I've been smoke free for 7 months now. I was a smoker for 24years. I have been using the e cigarette since day one and let me tell you that it's a God send! I started with the 36ml of nicotine and I am now on 18ml. Here is where I bought my kit...

Happy Vaper

Since then, I have stopped coughing, food taste %100 better, I sleep better, I breath better and most of all, I all around feel great!

It's a little pricy at first but after the initial buy, all you'll need are bottle (flavored nicotine) refills which are just a few dollars. In the end, you end up saving ALOT of cash. I actually almost saved enough for a trip to the Dominican for the hubby and I

Good luck!

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I quit all tobacco products after using them for 3-4 years, and I only use an e-cig now. It's definitely a case of substituting one addiction for another, but the replacement is less harmful and more socially acceptable so it's worth it I think.
First thing is that you shouldn't expect smoking a djarum and a vaping with an ecig to be the same. They don't give you the same feeling initially because there is a bunch of stuff in tobacco other than nicotine that adds to the "fssss... ahhh" feeling. This is why a lot of people who go on ecigs to quit, don't quit. However, it sates the desire for nicotine and it does provide a noticeable relaxed/satisfied feeling after totally quitting tobacco and being used to the ecig. Also, the vapor isn't always like smoke because batteries run down and the wick dries out, but a fully charged battery with juice to vape can give a similar throat/mouth feeling to actual smoke.

I like my ecig because I enjoy the nicotine, I like the variety of flavors, I can use it anywhere, and because I feel clean using it. Honestly, when I see people smoking then I want to smoke, but whenever I do then I feel bad about it and regret going back to it.

I guess bottom line is that it will help the quitting process if you want to quit. If you don't really want to quit then you won't be satisfied with it and will go back. I had to quit for my S.O. and she's okay with the ecig, so it worked out well for me. I'd be glad to answer questions, but remember that opinions on things like this are subjective. Some like it, some don't. Don't be totally turned off by one person who hated it.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I tried them got a starter kit but it just wasn't the same. First time I went out drinking I was back to smoking..tough habit to break for sure I keep trying though.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Well I'm an ex smoker myself. I smoked tobacco since i was 15 im 30 now. Almost 3 months ago my girlfriend gave birth to my son. When he was born he was having trouble with breathing, so that same day i went out and bought a vaporizer from my local smoke shop. Best purchase I've made in a while. It took some getting used too, but now I haven't smoked since then ( I did slip up a couple of times), but now tobacco tastes horrible to me. Except cigars gotta have one every so often. Plus the store I buy from has over 400 flavors for my vaporizer, and the e-liquid is cheeper than ciggarrets.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I tried three of them. I think they would work for some people with the right kind of habit.

My personal problem was I enjoy the smoking ritual. By that I mean, lighting
the cigarette, smoking for awhile and then extinguishing the butt. Doing it that way
you have a beginning, a middle, and an end.

With the E-cig there is no ritual. The smoke production is fine. The nicotine is fine (you
can even get way to much if you order the strong formula). Everything about was fine...
....I just didn't know when to quit.

Now I use them rarely for certain situations where I know I can't smoke and they work well for
that. You should try them. You might kick the habit. I know there are many people that have
used them successfully. But for me, I never really wanted to quit...still don't. I enjoy smoking
what can I say.

One day if I do REALLY decide to quit, I will definitely use E-cigs to help instead of nicotine
patches or gum...so you can take that for what it's worth.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Thanks for all the input,it's very much appreciated.

For myself,it's the habit ,the physical aspect of it and,second the addiction to nicotine.

The physical part,keeping my hands busy,is the biggest part of breaking the terrible habit.

Stepping down in the nicotine levels I can do.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Thats whats good about the place i buy my juice from you can adjust the amount of nicotine in it. It's not pre-mixed so you can customize. I've been dropping my nicotine levels gradually

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
There's really nothing wrong with nicotine. That's the misconception about smoking.
Nicotine is addictive, but it has also been shown to help the thinking process.

What is harmful about smoking is the smoke itself. So don't worry about the nicotine.
Keep the nicotine, lose the carcinogens and tar.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by rival
There's really nothing wrong with nicotine. That's the misconception about smoking.
Nicotine is addictive, but it has also been shown to help the thinking process.

What is harmful about smoking is the smoke itself. So don't worry about the nicotine.
Keep the nicotine, lose the carcinogens and tar.

I think ,and I could be wrong,that the nicotine helps my thinking.
When I'm troubleshooting a problem,I get it fixed faster when I step away for a smoke then if I stay on it.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
And thats another thing,I looked up my smokes and it said...

Djarum Black cigarettes sold in United States, Europe, Canada and South American countries have 10–12mg tar and 1mg nicotine, as indicated on the pack. This level of tar and nicotine is comparable to the majority of other regular or "full-flavor" cigarettes available. However, Djarum Black cigarettes produced for consumption in Indonesia contain a significantly higher quantity of Tar and Nicotine, 25mg and 1.6mg respectively. In Canada, Djarum Black cigarettes are listed as containing 42.2–76mg of tar and 1.88–3.39mg of nicotine, a significant amount more than most other cigarettes.

forum.grasscity.com...

So what level of nicotine do I chose for the e-cig version?

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Djarum Black cigarettes sold in United States, Europe, Canada and South American countries have 10–12mg tar and 1mg nicotine, as indicated on the pack. This level of tar and nicotine is comparable to the majority of other regular or "full-flavor" cigarettes available. However, Djarum Black cigarettes produced for consumption in Indonesia contain a significantly higher quantity of Tar and Nicotine, 25mg and 1.6mg respectively. In Canada, Djarum Black cigarettes are listed as containing 42.2–76mg of tar and 1.88–3.39mg of nicotine, a significant amount more than most other cigarettes.

forum.grasscity.com...

That's a really relevant question and I don't know the answer. When I bought my first E-cig I bought
the solution with the strongest nicotine (the company stated it was comparable to full flavor
cigarettes. What I found was that it was a bit stronger. I smoke Marlboro Reds and in comparison
four or five puffs of my E-cig would get my light-headed.

I later bought a vial of the most potent nicotine E-cig product sold. I can't recall how pure
it was, but you were supposed to dilute it yourself with glycerine. I never bought the
glycerin and tried one drop on my atomizer once....it was WAY too strong. the experience
reminded me of the first time I tried Skoal when I was younger.

If nobody else gives you an accurate answer I would recommend going with what the company
you decide to buy from describes as a full flavor dose of nicotine.

The other really relevant question is what type of E-cig to buy. There are many out there
with different qualities. I used youtube and searched thru the many E-cig comparison videos
shot by regular folks...you might have to cull thru a few obviously placed adverts promoting
one type, but there is good info there.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by rival

Originally posted by kdog1982

forum.grasscity.com...

That's a really relevant question and I don't know the answer. When I bought my first E-cig I bought
the solution with the strongest nicotine (the company stated it was comparable to full flavor
cigarettes. What I found was that it was a bit stronger. I smoke Marlboro Reds and in comparison
four or five puffs of my E-cig would get my light-headed.

I later bought a vial of the most potent nicotine E-cig product sold. I can't recall how pure
it was, but you were supposed to dilute it yourself with glycerine. I never bought the
glycerin and tried one drop on my atomizer once....it was WAY too strong. the experience
reminded me of the first time I tried Skoal when I was younger.

If nobody else gives you an accurate answer I would recommend going with what the company
you decide to buy from describes as a full flavor dose of nicotine.

The other really relevant question is what type of E-cig to buy. There are many out there
with different qualities. I used youtube and searched thru the many E-cig comparison videos
shot by regular folks...you might have to cull thru a few obviously placed adverts promoting
one type, but there is good info there.

I wonder if you went to this extreme.

www.vaporizerblog.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I have to admit that I can't recommend them enough, but like others have said, start at the higher end of the nicotine level, I started at 36) and have since worked my way down to 6, and as I mix my own I am dropping it down 1mg every couple of months.. at some point I will hit zero, but suspect I'll still be using ecigs

When I started mixing my own I used this calculator posted on a forum I visited at the time.. www.todmuller.com...

I also try to source British, European or American made products and liquid even if they cost slightly more as it feels like the safer route to go.

I have tried just about every single type of quitting aid and all apart from ecigs failed to help me break the deadlock of also enjoying having a smoke.

Good luck
it would be nice to know how you get on

edit on 21/11/12 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   

E-Blu is pretty good. It helped me quit last time and I am just about done this time around. I have a lot of cartomizers left and I don't want to waste them, but I am enjoying the benefits of no longer having that awful smell in my clothes and I can work out harder and better without losing my breath. It feels good.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Quit the real cigs almost a year ago, after smoking for twenty years. Took up Zerocig, as like you, I like the act of smoking. I did not want a patch or lozenge or anything like that, that just would not do. I like the zerocig, because it's not extra wide like most ecigs. It's been pretty reliable, though I'd keep extra batteries around because some have stopped working at only about three months old. Whenever they have a free battery promotion I usually go for it. Also, sometimes ya get a dud cartridge. I use their regular tobacco, started with 18 mg/cartridge, been on 11 mg for months now and it tastes great and doesn't stink me up. They have a good menthol and I think they have clove too. I've tried friends ecigs of various brands, with mixed results, and disposable cigs like myjoy or whatever too, which tasted nasty.

Must say that the first time I ever heard of an electronic cigarette, it sounded really stupid to me. But when I decided to quit the real ones, but didn't really want to give up the habit of it, I changed my mind. I'm glad I did because since around that time, my life has gone absolutely haywire, making me want to smoke all the time and getting me stuck in places where smoking is not allowed. This solves that problem. I'm constantly puffing on this thing, and can just stick it in my pocket rather than have to finish it like a real cig.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I tried E-cigs and found them wanting! However, I had bought mine when they first came out. Possibly newer e-cigs are improved and work better. (I could not draw anything through mine over time no matter how often I charged it or changed certain parts, etc.)

I had smoked for 44 years (generally 1 to 1 1/2 packs per day)and tried to quit a few times. I did quit March 12, 2012 and remain tobacco-free. I did it cold turkey. However, I did listen to an old "subliminal smoking cessation" tape for a few weeks before I put the cigarettes down.

Whatever it takes, hon, whatever it takes. I'd say give those E-cigs a try!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join