It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paleo Diet -- Your ticket to survival

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX
1. Get rid of pasta, bread, rice, and potatoes out of your diet. Starchy foods are excellent fillers and became “staple” foods following the agricultural revolution because they were cheap and straightforward to grow, and could assistance a larger population. Even so, they’re notorious for lacking in nutrition, and the system quickly converts this foods into extra fat.

2. DO consume refreshing fruits, greens, nuts, seeds and meat. For the same factors you do not desire to consume bread, rice, and pasta. Nutritional worth in these foods are a lot higher, along with your system utilizes the vitamins and proteins contained in these meals particularly throughout and after bodily workout.

Contradictory information. 100 grams of apple when compared to 100 grams of potato shows that potatoes have a much higher vitamin and mineral content, lower sugar content, and apples have 0 protein while potatoes are 3% protein.

edit on 18-11-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

There are exceptions to every generalization. Apples are a highly-selected fruit that were developed POST-Agrigultural Revolution. I would welcome a comparison of wild apples to wild white potatoes, or even wild apples to domesticated white potatoes. Wild apples are commonly known as 'crabapples' in the States. You won't mistake them for having a high sugar content.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by seamus

Crabapples still have 0 protein although they do show better numbers than regular apples but it still does not negate the fact that the stuff that the paleo diet suggests to cut out isn't without its nutritional value.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by seamus

This link shows 84 calories per 110 gram serving of crabapples.

This link shows 80 calories for a 154 gram serving of Honeycrisp apple, a sweet variety.

That works out to .76 calories per gram for crabapples, .51 calories per gram for a variety developed for it's sweet taste.

Apparently crabapples have more sugar.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

Interesting post. I like the ideas behind it, as I'm a classified pescetarian. Might have to work out the dairy and grains a little more.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I disagree with Paleo to some extent. Just look at the Okinawa. They consume high carbs, and lots of grain. I think brown rice is okay. Wheat is a different story. My system doesn't do well with wheat.

I will eat oats, and brown rice, along with potatoes, berries, and veggies for carbs.
Farm raised beef, chicken, & turkey for protein.
Hemp hearts and virgin coconut oil for fats.

Keeps me lean, mean, and healthy.

reply to post by LittleFluffyCloud

I time fasting around my workout schedule. Basically a 20-24hr fast every fifth day.
edit on 19-11-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
The majority of people in the western world, eating an American diet, now have metabolic syndrome and blood sugar problems. Going Paleo corrects this condition. I only eat meats, veggies and nuts, sometimes cheese. It can be terribly boring, but it is a way to stave off diabetes and other health problems that come from it.

You can also go a lot longer without eating, without the symptoms of low blood sugar, such as feeling starved, shakiness, lack of cognitive ability, and exhaustion.

I know there are posters saying they're going with grains, fruits, etc., but if you have blood sugar problems (pre-diabetes), this will not help. Plus, modern wheat is now mostly gluten, which many people are allergic to. The large stomachs we're seeing on people, even young people, is due to gluten intolerance. It's called "Wheat Belly". Plant geneticists, back in the 1960s, began to breed new types of wheat for higher gluten content, and it's ability to have a longer shelf life in the grocery store. Therefore, the wheat we're eating is not the wheat our ancestors ate.

If you have a gut, stop eating grains and go Paleo, and see how quickly your gut shrinks. This also goes for beer, BTW, since, unfortunately, grains are used in the brewing process.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

My belly is flat

People should first stop consuming so much fructose, if they want to see the belly shrink. It's HFCS which seems to be more of problem than "wheat belly"
edit on 19-11-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I am quoting my own post since I have exceeded the time limit for an edit.

The crabapple values were for plain crabapples. I accidentally wrote that it was a sweet variety. The Honeycrisp is an apple developed for sweetness.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

I disagree, but to each his own.

There are a lot of people who have a problem with gluten, who don't eat much fructose at all, and have the "wheat belly" problem.

Not to say that sugar isn't a problem unto itself, but you can cut out sugar and still have an issue with abdominal fat.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
I disagree, but to each his own.

There are a lot of people who have a problem with gluten, who don't eat much fructose at all, and have the "wheat belly" problem.

Not to say that sugar isn't a problem unto itself, but you can cut out sugar and still have an issue with abdominal fat.

The truth is that people who have a problem with gluten should stop eating wheat, people who have blood sugar problems should control their sugar intake, people who can't tolerate lactose should stay away from dairy products, people who are allergic to peanuts should stay away from peanuts, people who are allergic to shellfish should avoid shellfish.............

Paleo is a fad just like all the other fad diets before it.

Paleo fail

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I'll have to try this out, but idk if it will sit well with my Hinduism (no red meats like beef and pork, dairy okay)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Just faulty logic. You fail to see that the opposite occurs just as well. People who don't eat gluten can still have a belly from HFCS.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX
To read more about the Paleo diet,

Actually, it is not a good diet

A 2011 ranking by U.S. News & World Report, involving a panel of 22 experts, ranked the Paleo diet lowest of the 20 diets evaluated based on factors including health, weight-loss and ease of following.[24] These results were repeated in the 2012 survey, in which the diet tied with the Dukan diet for the lowest ranking out of 25 diets; U.S. News & World Report stated that their experts "took issue with the diet on every measure".[

health.usnews.com...

Just another fad diet.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by hellobruce

Didn't the experts also tell us the food pyramid was the way to go?

Last I checked that is total bunk and should be avoided with extreme prejudice.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleFluffyCloud

I time fasting around my workout schedule. Basically a 20-24hr fast every fifth day.

That sounds like it might just work better. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
WHile I agree that a diet rich in protein and low in carbohydrates is the best for weight managment we should remember that the cave man had a very short life span and part of that was due to a poor diet. If you cover the basics, make sure you have lots of different colors on your plate you should do fine. Just dont over eat and everyone should eliminate sugar from their diet. That is the great white death. I dont eliminate anything but I do limit the amount that I eat. That way I can have some cake when I want to and still not get fat. Just eat small amounts of the not so good for you stuff. No one is saying give up anything for ever. Just be smarter about choices.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Sweet potato is low on the glycemic index.

I will frequently bake one for an easy meal.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
If it worked for our ancestors, then it should be good for us.
what caught my attention was the thing about lost bone mass and stature with agriculture.

I am not strong enough mentally however to ever follow a diet

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mikeone718

Not strong enough to follow this diet..
well then i guess you are ok with the end results of cancer.
sounds harsh but that is what the general diet the most of the world is on..
good luck to you then.

also to add: When someone says things like "eating healthy is expensive" I say
either pay the hospital and its staff,, or buy good food..

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by hellobruce

And yet... that article suggests that the DASH Diet is the #1 overall, a diet that primarily treats hypertension with SODIUM RESTRICTION?!?!? Salt, We've Misjudged You is a post of mine showing why sodium is NOT the problem.

The #2 overall diet isn't bad, but it wrongly suggests that saturated fat and red meat be completely avoided. After reviewing the literature on saturated fat and it's effects on hypertension/hearth disease, and since better studies have been conducted in the last 20 years, saturated fat is, at best, beneficial and, at worst, neutral to ones health. Fat Ascertainment: Why Saturated Fat Doesn't Cause Heart Disease

It's a rather biased panel of experts that rely on outdated and misunderstood information on nutrition science. Their collective position is that:

Fat should be limited.
Eat more good fat; less bad fat.
Avoid saturated fat.
Limit added sugars.
Limit sodium intake.
Exercise/eat in moderation to maintain/lose weight.
Eat more vegetables.
Eat more fruit.
Eat more grains.

Sounds exactly like the USDA's recommendations, which are sad and outdated as well (in fact, their recommendations have been consistent since they began advising Americans on how to eat, despite a growing body of contradictory evidence). U.S. Dietary Guidelines: The History; The Science; The Failure

Ever since they've been promoting low-fat diets paired the eat less/exercise more mantra, diabetes and obesity have skyrocketed. Something's not right.
edit on 19-11-2012 by DevolutionEvolvd because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-11-2012 by DevolutionEvolvd because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join