Paleo Diet -- Your ticket to survival

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Just as today the people were eating a lot of processed junk food before that depression happened.

That sounds like a stretch since the majority of the population was rural and I'm pretty sure that even most city folk had moms preparing homemade meals for their families before the depression.

edit on 18-11-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
For most of this year, I have been reading a lot about the Paleo diet but also have an interest in eating more of my food raw and wondered if I could try a combination of the two. Over two months ago, I started into this slowly by cutting down on my sugar intake and also cut wheat out (after reading the book Wheat Belly by William Davis). I lost more weight and quicker than I do on regular low cal diets and have felt much less foggy-headed and able to sleep well as a result.

I don't eat meat so it slightly limits the amount of foods I can choose from, but I do eat fish (although, not often). This is why I thought it best to boost my daily menus with some raw food (veg, fruit, sproutings etc). It's true that when you ditch the junk food and cleanse your system, your body works much more efficiently and hunger and cravings are reduced. That's if you are doing it right and taking in the right amount of nutrients of course. I would recommend consulting a doctor or dietician first if you aren't used to eating this way, but I can't imagine being healthier could pose any problems to most - quite the opposite in fact!

Has anyone here also heard of intermittent fasting? Apparently, a few days a week of cutting the calories right down can boost your chances of living longer even more and lessen your chances of developing all the worst diseases like cancers, heart disease, diabetes etc. I think this would take a bit of training though - I tried this one week and it was tough...... real tough! It's probably something you could become used to, and I would think that our distant ancestors had times when food was scarce so it's true to the Paleo spirit. Here's a good article about the subject:

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Anyway, it's interesting to think of this diet as one of our best chances of surviving if the worst comes to the worst. At least if we do have a head start as someone mentioned, we would avoid the feelings of deprivation which might affect the majority of the western world when they can't access any of the fast food, fizzy beverages, sugar and caffeine. That stuff is just too damned addictive!

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleFluffyCloud

Has anyone here also heard of intermittent fasting?

I did the fasting thing. Lots to know about it. Go find the book by Dr Bragg or order tapes from Dr. Broer.

Dr Bragg Book Here

Dr. Bragg, died tragically, surfing in HI, in his 80's...

Dr Broer also talks about fasting on some of the tapes he used to sell. I used to have an 800 number for him. Wait one, let me check... Dr Broer site is here Might want to call and ask them which tape set explains fasting. Tape 7 looks like ...

SKU: 2002
By Ted Broer

Lose Weight* Feel Great* Fitness/Health Series

Our latest, up-to-date series on Health, Nutrition, Sports Medicine, and exercise!

Tape 1: Fat Loss, Not Weight Loss—The Key to Looking Great! Hormones and How They Control the Body
Tape 2: Exercise—Its Role In Burning Fat/
Lean Muscle Mass—What Types & How much
Tape 3: Trace Minerals, Vitamin Supplements, Fatty Acids/ Joint Repair and Arthritis
Tape 4: Artificial Sweeteners/
Chemicals and Foods in Our Environment to Avoid
Tape 5: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Yeast Infection, Hypoglycemia, and Your Immune System
Tape 6: Constipation, the Colon, and Your Health
Tape 7: Fasting: The Physical & Spiritual Benefits
Tape 8: Water: Use a Filter or Be a Filter/
Why You Absorb As Many Toxins in One Hot Shower as If You Had Drunk 8 Glasses of Contaminated Water

I was fasting one day a week. So I would have dinner, then bed, then nothing but water until after the next day and night, what is that 36 hours? Anyway, you do lose weight doing that but you will also lose muscle. And it does clean and purify your body. It gives your body a chance to rest and get rid of toxins. Read about it though because you do need to know a lot.
edit on 18-11-2012 by kawika because: add quote
edit on 18-11-2012 by kawika because: add text

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

Thanks for the links, kawika. It is better to go into this kind of thing with as much knowledge as possible.

As you said, when the body has some time away from digesting and processing the food we consume, it is able to rest and recover which can only be a good thing.

I have actually been fasting from a young age, annually during Ramadan, which got me used to the feeling of hunger, but for some reason, that is much easier for me than this two days a week cutting of calories! Does anyone else find it easier to go a whole day without food than to eat small portions throughout the day? I find myself constantly hungry when I do the latter, for some reason.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I have a large garden which provides most of my fruit and veg, we keep chickens and rabbits for eggs and meat, and we forage the forest for all kinds of nuts, berries and roots and stuff. So we are part ways there. But I have a husband and three kids so I'm wondering, how do you get rid of bread, pasta, potatoes and rice - what do you base your meals on - just meat and veg? No bread? Hmmmmmm

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scouser640
I have a large garden which provides most of my fruit and veg, we keep chickens and rabbits for eggs and meat, and we forage the forest for all kinds of nuts, berries and roots and stuff. So we are part ways there. But I have a husband and three kids so I'm wondering, how do you get rid of bread, pasta, potatoes and rice - what do you base your meals on - just meat and veg? No bread? Hmmmmmm

This is the big difficulty I'm afraid!

You're lucky to have the resources for self-sufficiency that you already do - living in a flat in the city like I do isn't going to give you a garden to grow things in or a forest to forage in, sadly!

Culturally, humanity is so used to carbs on the side of other foods so the idea of taking that away would leave us a little bereft. As I said earlier, it's best to go into this kind of diet slowly. Start by cutting out one item, and work your way through cutting out the rest later if you feel you can manage it. There are some people who reserve 'cheat days' where they can enjoy all the regular foods they like, and if the thought of going without most of your favourite meals is scary, you could at least opt to try it that way, but I'm sure the die-hard Paleo fans would probably shake their heads if we did that! It's a personal choice though.

There are recipe books which offer alternatives ways of making some of what you have cut out. I think there is a pizza recipe which uses roasted cauliflower as the crust, but I haven't tried it so I have no idea if it's tasty or not!

I have to say, I really miss bread. This excerpt from an article on disinfo.com is interesting: "Wheat and dairy products contain opioid peptides influencing endorphin receptors in the brain. These peptides are physically addictive, causing dependence, asthma, obesity, apathy, ignorance and numbness." ---- hmmm, and we all know how an apathetic mass of people are exactly what the elite want, eh?

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Thanks for your response. I can see this being quite easy sans kids, just a case of retraining the taste buds I guess. Mind you, most of the summer we eat steamed veg out of the garden with rabbit or game and fruit for dessert. Maybe I'll just leave it there and stock up on the carbs in winter - there's a lot to be said for comfort food. Good info though, thanks

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

Ive been on a 80% paleo for a long time..
and i believe it as the best food choice in the world.
Breads, corns, grains, wont be around for consumption in a SHTF scenario.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Scouser640

You're welcome Scouser640. Oh and the cold winters in the UK are not a great time for me to be eating raw, haha! That is when the stodgy comfort food beckons. Especially mashed or baked potatoes with butter and melted cheese. *sigh*

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Ahhh the British winters, I remember them well. I was born in Liverpool, as my name suggests, Bootle - the posh part though obviously - easy to find, that's where the unicorns live. Now I'm in western Canada, now there's a winter for you.
BTW - mashed potatoes with butter, milk, garlic and cheese was dinner tonight, giving that up will be a tough sell. But the spuds and garlic were home grown, so I think some brownie points are in order.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I have been eating this way for about 8 months now (though still cheat occasionally with beer) and can honestly say I have never been healthier in my entire life. I got started on this when I was doing P90X which is a 90 day kick your ass fitness routine. Was looking at result pictures on their website and noticed people that had gone 'primal' were having some serious results. A great place to read and learn more about this way of eating/living is to go to marksdailyapple. Tonnes of information there about the paleo lifestyle. Definitely worth a look.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Well, seeing as how I've gotten mostly positive feedback regarding this diet, all backed by experience, I think I'm gonna give it a try. For LONGER than a day (GAAASP!)

I imagine, from what you're explaining, it will feel similar to fasting. Just all around better.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am totally gonna post a thread about this after a month or so, to document how well it works.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scouser640

Ahhh the British winters, I remember them well. I was born in Liverpool, as my name suggests, Bootle - the posh part though obviously - easy to find, that's where the unicorns live. Now I'm in western Canada, now there's a winter for you.
BTW - mashed potatoes with butter, milk, garlic and cheese was dinner tonight, giving that up will be a tough sell. But the spuds and garlic were home grown, so I think some brownie points are in order.

I thought you might be a Liverpool lass thanks to your moniker!

Ha, I bet a Canadian winter makes a Brit winter look like child's play. Here in London, we get the wimpiest snow - hardly worth putting your boots on for!

But still, it's cold enough that you'd want something warm and hearty.

Mmmmmm, your mash dinner sounds heavenly! *drool* I personally can't see the problem with eating potatoes occasionally. It might be a killer to give it up completely.

You must save a fortune in grocery bills, being able to grow your own food. You don't even want to know how high prices are in the shops back in the UK now.

I'd get an allotment but the waiting lists to obtain one are very long. Oh well, maybe the odd bit of fasting will cut costs, eh? Hehe.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Common sense here.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
She looks like she has botox.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

I really like the Paleo diet's ideas but I read somewhere that they did a study that couldn't prove that it was better. Of course too much starch is bad. But a mediteranean diet is good too. Game meat is better and also eating Raw fruits and veggies. But in the end, it's not "your ticket to survival". A diet should be adapted to your blood type, to your metabolism. Some people should be vegetarian, some shouldn't. There's no perfect diet.
edit on 18-11-2012 by sebHFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Agreed. Different things work well for different people,although the average modern diet doesn't seem to work well for anyone.But rice and grain are unhealthy?What about the Japanese and others who eat tons of it,and were very healthy.Same with grains,lots of culture ate alot iof grains and were also very healthy. Of course,all grains are likely not created equal.
I do prefer the meat that I've shot and processed myself though. I really don't want to eat most of the meat from stores anymore,just don't know what you might be eating. I do love pork though,and wild pigs are still scarce here,so got to think about trying to raise some myself.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Keep it up you are correct. Fruit, Vegatables and meat and nuts is the way to eat. The less meat the better too. Only eat natural food. If its processed it has additives that can cause your body to be sick. Pasta and bread are yeast and GMO most wheat now in the US is Genetically modified and is not safe to eat. Milk is pus and full of steroids and whatever else they pumped into it to keep their cows alive. If you inject the cow with steroids your eating the steroids in the milk and meat as well as all the other stuff.
Some of these books are hardcore Vegitarians and use it in their research, the main point is to stay away from milk and pasta/ bread! I'm giving you the most informative books first and you should read them first

These books are what I read and I would say are a must have in the home
The Hippocrates Diet Ann Wigmore
The Gershon Method Dr. Max Gershon
Living foods for optimum health by Brian Clement
Eat to live Dr, Joel Fuhrman
Fit for life By Harvey Diamond
80/10/10 diet by Douglas Grahmn
Heinermans Encyclopedia of healing juices by John Heineman really informative about what foods do to your body!
Juicing Fasting and Detoxing by Cherie Calbom

Other things you can take to supplement your diet
Garlic Pills-Garlic is a universal healer and kills bad bacteria in your gut.
Liquid Ionized trace minerals from tropical oasis- you can get these at central marke/HEB health section or whole foods-Dont waste time on solid vitamins your body gets rid of them in the urine and they are expensive! Liquid best way to go. One bottle will last you a month, just put a tablespoon in your water.
Aloe Vera Gel- It does help your intestines.
Any type of Liquid Chlorophyl juiced from fresh greens. This is what heals your blood removes toxins and purifies your body.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxclaro
But rice and grain are unhealthy?What about the Japanese and others who eat tons of it,and were very healthy.

True. For example plantains and bananas have more starch than rice and half the protein proving once again that sweeping generalizations are not good for your health.
edit on 19-11-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Hi XxNightAngelusxX!

Very good idea to post this stuff.

I'm talking from first-hand-experience with a similar diet from a German guy who is a dancer/entertainer. Detlef D. Soest.
He has this diet combined with very cool workouts he developed with sports-students.

I want to encourage you very much to get involved with the food-style you described.

9 months ago I (male) was 92 kg while being 184 cm tall.
Today my weight is 78 kg - without the sports so far - and I'm still 184 cm tall
So I lost 14 kg in this 9 months.

NEVER being hungry.
In my diet there is even a once-a-week "load-day" on which you can eat EVERYTHING that you want. So no cold-chocolate-turkey does occur.

I even dropped this load-day 4 months ago because those "forbidden" foods didn't scream at me anymore and plan on dropping another 2 - 3 kg. That would be ideal.

All the best with your endeavors and...
...keep on dropping!

Ansar

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join