It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israelian and Palestinian partition plan 1948 compared to today.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Looking at the 1948 UN partition plan I wonder how is it possible that more than 60 years later, Israel owns most of the land and clearly Palestinians have little space to move. I am not in favour of Israel nor Palestina, but it seems very odd. Looking at what happened after 1948 it is not clear to me how this was possible so I hope to find out in clear language why the map of both countries looks like this today?

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
How it happened?? They gained the land after the Arabs attacked them from all sides and eventually lost. When you start a war you better win it or this type of thing will happen.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
They are lucky that the Jews didn't totally boot them out when they beat them in the wars that their arab brethren started. If I were the Jewish leader, that is exactly what I would have done.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by CincinnatiReds
How it happened?? They gained the land after the Arabs attacked them from all sides and eventually lost. When you start a war you better win it or this type of thing will happen.

It doesn't matter if the Arabs did attack them. Annexing land by force is against international law. But then again when did Israel ever care about following laws.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by rai76

The short answer is "war".
Post-1948 Israel was larger than in the plan because the Arabs attacked the Jews on the first declaration of independance, and the Jews fought back.
In 1967, Israel was attacked again by the Arab neighbours, and the result was that Israel overran the "West bank", the Golan Heights, and the Sinai peninsula.
After the Yom Kippur war and subsequent negotiation, they pulled back from the last of these.

Incidentally, I am not an Israeli nor any kind of Jew.
I make no comment on the rights and wrongs of all this..
I'm just explaining how it happened, which was your question.

edit on 18-11-2012 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
They are lucky that the Jews didn't totally boot them out when they beat them in the wars that their arab brethren started. If I were the Jewish leader, that is exactly what I would have done.

The Arabs didn't start it the Israeli's did. Israel started it with their ethnic cleansing. Israel should have been dismantled when it was clear what they had in mind for the region.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Uhhh so let me understand this. You don't have a problem with All the surrounding countries "Illegally" attacking Israel, A legitimate state created basically by the entire world. But you do have a problem with Israel winning this war and gaining territory?? I hope you understand that essentially every country since the history of mankind has done exactly that. Look at any old world country and tell me their borders have stayed exactly the same since the beginning.
edit on 18-11-2012 by CincinnatiReds because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Included in the Balfour Declaration was this little caveat....

it being clearly understood that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine,

Clearly Israel was in breach of this from the onset.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by CincinnatiReds

I don't agree with the wars, but I fail to see how there's anything even remotely legitimate about the creation of the state of Israel, especially when it's largely the result of yet more European colonialism (the vast majority of the settlers came from Europe). How anybody can defend such blatant colonialism, I don't know. Especially when it's coupled with ethnic cleansing.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
The answer to the delima!

Ex 12:49 One law shall be to him that is homeborn, and unto the stranger that sojourneth among you.

it being clearly understood that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine,

Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.

Br Ben

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ken10
Included in the Balfour Declaration was this little caveat....

Clearly Israel was in breach of this from the onset.

Clearly not, Israel wasn't given a chance to violate or uphold it.

Historically the Arab Governments around Israel have a real problem with the establishment of the country of Israel; the independent nation of Israel was created in 1948. Five Arab nations: Egypt, Transjordan (now Jordan), Syria, Lebanon, and Iraq, immediately attacked Israel, and lost badly. These mostly Islamic countries have as their stated goal the total annihilation of the Israeli state.

When the British officially withdrew on May 14, 1948, the Jewish National Council proclaimed the State of Israel.

U.S. recognition came within hours. The next day, Arab forces from Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, and Iraq invaded the new nation. By the cease-fire on Jan. 7, 1949, Israel had increased its original territory by 50%, taking western Galilee, a broad corridor through central Palestine to Jerusalem, and part of modern Jerusalem. Chaim Weizmann and David Ben-Gurion became Israel's first president and prime minister. The new government was admitted to the UN on May 11, 1949.

•1948 War of Independence
•1956 Sinai War
•1967 Six Day War
•1973 Yom Kippur War
Despite the numerical superiority of the Arab armies, Israel defended itself each time and won. After each war Israeli army withdrew from most of the areas it captured. This is unprecedented in World history and shows Israel's willingness to reach peace even at the risk of fighting for its very existence each time anew.

Israel: Geography, History, Politics, and More — Infoplease.com www.infoplease.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by RedmoonMWC

Yeah yeah yeah blah blah blah poor innocent Israel

So what about the King David Hotel in 1946 ?

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by rai76

I was thinking about this yesterday ... S+F for reading my mind

Its a shame that MSM don't highlight the amount of land Israel has stolen over the years to give the situation a bit more balance .
The double standards of the west sicken me

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

you meen the response to Operation Agatha (in which widespread raids, including one on the Jewish Agency, had been carried out)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by rai76

Op, I included this side by side map of the diminished Palestine territory. This comparison is worth a thousand words.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedmoonMWC

you meen the response to Operation Agatha (in which widespread raids, including one on the Jewish Agency, had been carried out)

And from your source....

The British objectives included dissuading the Haganah and the Palmach, Lehi (Stern Gang), and the Irgun Tzvai Leumi, from undertaking further attacks against British troops and officials

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

but that is just insane if this is true!

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedmoonMWC

And from your source....

The British objectives included dissuading the Haganah and the Palmach, Lehi (Stern Gang), and the Irgun Tzvai Leumi, from undertaking further attacks against British troops and officials

From the same source:

Agatha triggered echoes of the Holocaust in the minds of many people. Women ripped their clothing to expose concentration camp tattoos. There were incidents of people in the settlements herded into cages while screaming that this was what the Nazis did. A minority among the British troops exacerbated the situation by shouting "Heil Hitler," scrawling swastikas on walls, and referring to gas chambers while conducting searches.

What would You do?
roll over and take it, or defend yourself?

But then this is all prior to the establishment of the Country of Israel.
edit on 18-11-2012 by RedmoonMWC because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Ah the holocaust card.......well played.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

My people were victims of a more recent holocaust, you don't see us murdering canadians, stealing their land to expand reservations, all the while claiming victim status.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join