It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun ideas?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I've got the gun for you then.
The Taurus Judge
www.impactguns.com...

How about a revolver that shoots 410 shotgun rounds or .45 long colt bullets?
It's my go-to carry piece for my car and what I keep near my bed.

A very intimidating weapon requiring no marksmanship to be effective.

The Judge is awesome... and the S&W Governor is too. Good call

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

Pawn shop or friend depending on your state rules and I would get a .45 pistol if it were my first and only firearm.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Pawn shop or friend depending on your state rules and I would get a .45 pistol if it were my first and only firearm.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Hi Point makes several semi auto pistols that can be found for under $200. They are good firearms from what I have seen, but I would agree that a shot gun is better for defense and can be used for some types of hunting as well. What ever you decide, make sure you get to know your firearm well, and inaccurate shot is a danger to everyone!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I love your post.

I also had inquired about owning a gun for home protection in the past, on ATS. I also spoke to a few neighbors and got some good advice. The area I live in is pretty quiet but in surrounding neighborhoods things are getting kinda hectic, if you know what I mean.

Someone wanted to sell me a shotgun but I was still debating if I should get a shotgun vs a handgun. I think the fact that I have kids in my house is having me lean towards getting a shotgun (over-penetration w. handgun). Heck, I might even get a shotgun and a handgun, for back-up.

I know folks reading this in different parts of the world are probably saying WTF are these Americans worrying about. I say to them, come spend 6 months in the US and then talk.

BTW, another place to purchase guns cheap would be at gunshows. Check your local listings and online to see when the next gunshow is coming to town. Admission is very inexpensive. Good luck.

edit on 16-11-2012 by Jaellma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Just so everyone is aware...depednig on the make up of the walls of the house/appartment, over penetration can be an issue even with bird shot....Probably won't KILL anyone on the otherside, but might severly injure them.

There are also "frangable" rounds that can be bought for pistols that won't over penetrate. They are kind of hard to find, but around.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Thanks, It seems to fit your needs quite well.
Revolver design - Most reliable of all gun of all gun types.
Have roomates - small, easy to hide so others won''t find it. Need something that won't penetrate walls.
Inexperienced shooter - little or no precision required.
Also handy for concealed carry or vehicular carry.

They do make less expensive versions and I've seen used ones for $320 -$350.
You could also use non-lethal ammunition for additional safety if that's a concern.

If you do go for the shotgun be sure to get a pistol grip stock as a full stock is not what you want for self-defense inside a home or apartment.

Cheers,

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Securing your weapon is the most sensible thing to do especially when you are away from your home. So far, cable locks on the weapons have stood up in court when someone else tries to "use" your weapon. Always thread the cable though the slide of a shotgun, rifle and through the frame of a handgun and lock it. And preferably, loop the cable around or through something else in your closet or elsewhere. Some police departments give these locks away or have very good discounts for purchase.

My biggest concern for you is the young lady looking for love and would possibly tell her suitor about your weapon. As long as its locked and unloaded, you should have no worries. Just don't tell anyone the lock combination or where the keys are kept. Better yet, tell no one that you own a weapon if possible.

Keeping it locked is good for when you are not at home or not concealed carrying your weapon. When you come home for the night or for any length of time, you will want to unlock the weapon for your use. A handgun is good while you are sleeping, either under your pillow or secured in one of the many different types of holsters or holders made for mounting on or near a bed within easy reach but out of sight of anyone else. Shotguns can be mounted as well, but you would need more time to access it and get it ready.

There is ammo out there that is designed to expend all of its energy into the first thing it hits and not over penetrate. Glaser(R) safety ammo comes to mind, you can ask a gun dealer or research online. You can buy cheap ammo at gun shows to practice with.

Which ever weapon you decide upon, LEARN THAT WEAPON! Learn how to clean it, take it apart and reassemble it. Keep your cleaning supplies and ammo in something like a .50 caliber surplus military ammo box. That way the different supplies don't get lost or jumbled and the box will keep the ammo clean and dry.

Lastly, practice, practice, practice. Remember, when seconds count the police are minutes away! Also did I mention to practice? A lot.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Buy a used Taurus Judge revolver or Public Defender and load 410 shotshells

or

12 Gauge anything with buckshot

done

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I've got the gun for you then.
The Taurus Judge
www.impactguns.com...

How about a revolver that shoots 410 shotgun rounds or .45 long colt bullets?
It's my go-to carry piece for my car and what I keep near my bed.

A very intimidating weapon requiring no marksmanship to be effective.

The PDX rounds from Winchester are what are chambered after my rock salt, bird shot and buckshot
www.winchester.com...
Dragons breath is badass from a revolver, but keep her clean...
cannot go wrong with this revolver

OP if you go with the Judge you can always get a 410 pump shotgun and interchange ammo.
Actually if your budget increases a Saiga w/collapsable stock in 410 would be great $399
Basically an AK 47 that shoots shotgun shells
www.budsgunshop.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

XxNightAngelusxX -

Sounds like you've got it together. The Maverick is a great choice. Save up for the Taurus.
Just be vigilant in securing your weapon - especially when YOU aren't around. Stay safe, stay protected, be prepared.

ganjoa
edit on 17-11-2012 by ganjoa because: somehow I replied myself instead of the reply to my post, weird huh?

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ganjoa
reply to post by ganjoa

XxNightAngelusxX -

Sounds like you've got it together. The Maverick is a great choice. Save up for the Taurus.
Just be vigilant in securing your weapon - especially when YOU aren't around. Stay safe, stay protected, be prepared.

ganjoa
edit on 17-11-2012 by ganjoa because: somehow I replied myself instead of the reply to my post, weird huh?

Thank ya

Definitely. All my fallout stuff is gonna be in my closet, and it's gonna stay locked until TSHTF, or until we have a home invasion... and DEFINITELY getting a Taurus Judge one day. Definitely.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

One last comment.
In the event TSHTF think about how invaluable a weapon that you can conceal on you would be,
Kinda hard to hide a shotgun.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparky31

seriously someone comes on here and wants a gun recommened for shooting to kill and everyone is more than happy to give advice?something in the air over that side of the world is frying ur brains.

Let's see. If I remember correctly you poor folks in the UK are not allowed to have guns because you might hurt yourself. Instead, if someone invades your home, maybe rapes you, you have to just grin and take it because if you fight back, the criminals might sure you. I'm sure that makes you feel nice and cozy at night, knowing that your benevolent government is protecting you so securely. However, observe:

The reason we even HAVE a second amendment in the first place, is because of your government.

Not that it's your fault, personally, it's just that you seem to accept your servitude in a meek fashion. If you, Scotland, had a tradition of self defense, you might not now be a vassal of England.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join