It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Do You Deal With Burnout?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Greetings, ATS.

I feel like a real jerk complaining about my job when so many are unemployed, but I seriously have a problem and I need your advice.

How do you deal with burnout?

In case you don't know, I teach first grade in a poor area. My school is under a lot of scrutiny by the state department b/c three years ago our test scores took a nose-dive. So for the past three years, we've had state officials in our school. They basically walk in to the classroom and start taking notes about the environment, the teaching, everything. They then meet with you and discuss what they saw and ways to improve.

In addition to the added stress of having the state in my class at least once a week, our school has a new principal who taught middle/high school. Frankly, he's a kind-hearted guy but he doesn't understand how little ones work. I'll leave it at that.

Finally, the class I have this year is an incredible challenge. Twenty kids, which is average sized class. Of that twenty, nine are diagnosed with ADHD....and I truly believe its a real diagnosis for 8 of the students (I know that's a huge number). The behavior problems in the classroom are unreal....I can't turn my back without crayons flying across the room, kids out of their seats, what have you. Normally classroom management isn't a problem for me, but this group is like the perfect storm. They feed into and off of each other. I swear, its like a new form of energy or something.

I've asked for help from my three administrators. I get a lot of promises, but no follow through. For example, today we were using letter tiles to spell words. I give the kids a word, then walk around and help those who need extra help. During this time, one of my students was EATING his magnetic tiles. Yesterday, another student colored his desk a beautiful pattern of colors. This is common, unfortunantly he did it with permanent markers. I was in a meeting so there was a sub in the room at the time of the desk decoration.

I never hear anything positive from my administrators or state people. Its always something negative. Now, I know for a fact I'm a damn good teacher. My kids have grown in their reading and math skills; they are making progress and are learning. But this constant nit-picking is driving me insane! My principal is OCD, I think...he has to line everything up in his office in right angles. NO joke. My room....best described as controlled chaos. That's part of teaching first grade....we make messes.

I finally snapped today when my principal asked why my kids couldn't be quiet in the hallway. So I politely asked him to show me how he'd like the kids to stand.

He kept saying, "Now, boys and girls. Let's be quiet. No talking!" Guess what....they ignored him just like they ignore me.

It did make me smile...he never got them quiet.

Just as an example of how bad it is in my grade level; one of our other first grade teachers just quit. The third teacher was taken by ambulance last week to the hospital for chest pains...and she's in her twenties. Stress related anxiety.

AAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

I think I need a new job.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

If I had a million bucks I would give you a raise and a thank-you
for trying to teach our children something.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
How much physical activity do those kids get? They tried to pull that ADHD crap with my son but then I found out that they had cut PE. How can anyone expect 7 year old boys to sit still for 6-7 hours each day? That is a serious problem. I think ADHD is just a cop out, imo.

Regarding burnout, I use the heavy bag and sparring. I also like shooting. Add some rough housing with my kids and my stress usually is gone before dinner time. Every so often, I head to the woods. Seeking God by firelight when I need some real rejuvenation.
edit on 15-11-2012 by DarthMuerte because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I work in IT, lol. I've only done this twice and it was a relief. Saved my money for an entire year, every penny. Got layed off, went on EI for almost a year and traveled. Came back refreshed and into a new job with a new company and I love it.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Sometimes, jobs are overwhelming. Perhaps you just need a break. With the holidays coming around soon, you should - maybe - take the time off to reflect on what is best for you. That decision is solely up to you, dear friend.

Just my little opinion.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Every so often, I head to the woods. Seeking God by firelight when I need some real rejuvenation.

Thats my method as well....nature.
There is something different about the air.
You sleep better,eat better and appreciate things more when you come home.
I also agree with being physical....it burns alot of the bad stuff out of you and makes you feel fresh again.
Exercise helps in a huuuuuge way.

I also will lock my doors and shut my phone for the weekend and sleep,eat REALLY well and just ignore the outside world...it makes it easier to cope on Mondays.
Most weekends I will even tune ats out and not log in until Monday.

edit on 15-11-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

I love you and will always vote with your best interests in mind. You are of an order and calling that is noble and requires a special love. Thank you for teaching our children.

I can't imagine the stress you deal with daily. If you were a banker or a insurance broker or something else with no value to our species, I'd say find a different profession. However, I can't tell you that because you are important. I would seriously suggest seeking professional help. It is not for the broken but for the people who are about to break. You are too important to break.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
How much physical activity do those kids get? They tried to pull that ADHD crap with my son but then I found out that they had cut PE. How can anyone expect 7 year old boys to sit still for 6-7 hours each day? That is a serious problem. I think ADHD is just a cop out, imo.

Regarding burnout, I use the heavy bag and sparring. I also like shooting. Add some rough housing with my kids and my stress usually is gone before dinner time. Every so often, I head to the woods. Seeking God by firelight when I need some real rejuvenation.
edit on 15-11-2012 by DarthMuerte because: (no reason given)

You are exactly right, six and seven year olds HAVE to move every thirty minutes. If you try to make them sit for longer than that, then you'll end up with extreme behavior issues.

That's why we incorporate a lot of physical movement in my lesson plans. We dance, move around the room, use both fine and gross motor movement. We do this a lot. We also have recess outside everyday that it doesn't rain.

I agree, ADHD is over diagnosed, but at least once this year those children have come to school without their medicine and it was an unbelievable change.

I love the idea of a punching bag...might have to ask hubby to hang one for me. And connecting with nature, another great idea.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun

Sometimes, jobs are overwhelming. Perhaps you just need a break. With the holidays coming around soon, you should - maybe - take the time off to reflect on what is best for you. That decision is solely up to you, dear friend.

Just my little opinion.

Yes, it's time to consider other avenues. I will try and transfer schools this summer, maybe a new environment will be enough of a change. Otherwise, I may just have to head back to the pharmacy.

Thanks for the kind words. Appreciated.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Go find and replenish your soul

I've had this a few times in my work and have now made a point of doing certain things that bring my ying and yang back in proportion

Now not knowing your 'thing' this is what I like to do
A week or two off and go .........
Surfing .......good phys.......a little adrenalin ......but brings me back to nature
Climbing ...again good phys .....bit more adrenalin .....and again back to nature
Mountain biking ......same as above
Parachuting
Hell just some time in the hills

I had to go back and kinda rediscover what I did in my teens
The key thing for me is just being alone, or just 1 other, and being .........not sure how to express it ..........back with nature ?..........respect, appreciate, challenge myself against and ultimately reconnect with the beauty and serenity of nature

Hope you find your balance soon

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

See if Arnold' will step in for a few weeks... (Kindergarten Cop)

On a lighter note - "how frustrating!"

My mother played that role of the administrator (who steps in and takes notes and evaluates, and then tells you what you're doing right, wrong or indifferent) for a couple of decades. I don't think anyone likes to be evaluated in such a manner (I know I would not...).

Unless you somehow think "this" (teaching 1st grade) is "your calling in life", I would suggest considering another occupation.

Some might suggest gritting your teeth, and trying to make it through this year... And, since this is the first time you've had to deal with the abundance of attention-limited customers, maybe next year will be a walk in the park.

On the other hand - what if this is a sign of things to come (a trend, if you will)?
What do you do, next year? You'll be past "burnout" and will either turn to full-blown "despair", or worse - "revenge".
Maybe I've gone too far with "revenge"...but...it is a logical progression following "burnout".

On one more hand, though... You still have to consider the trade-offs in changing profession/s.
I've had two "former teachers" come to work for me - and they were not prepared for the amount of "work" that was required just to be "in the game" with their co-workers (and - they didn't get the days off and vacations and numerous other perks they had grown accustomed to working for the public school system/s).

In any case - Good luck going forward. ...could be fun!

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

I guess I should have been more clear. This is my tenth year teaching, and I've taught first grade for four years. So it's not a new job....and I do love working with the kids. We tie dyed t-shirts today, I'm covered in dye, and it was a wonderful time.

I do consider teaching to be my "calling," I'm just having a tough year. It happens to everyone, I guess.

Thank you for the kind advice....and I wish I could call Arnold in!

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
for burnout - large quantities of alcohol and a few women ( caution you could end up with several ex-wives using this method... ) or take a trip out to the country far from people does wonders for clearing ones head and putting things back in perspective....

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Get a massage once a week.
Say "I like myself 10 times per day"
Take a deep breath, hold for 20, release. Repeat 3 times daily.
Start jogging daily
Start drinking pure spring water
Get plenty of sleep at night
Get plenty of good sex lol

there that will help

top topics

join