It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secession petitions now filed for all 50 states - Yahoo! News

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Article on Yahoo! News

Seems like this thing has gone beyond an simple meme now. Will the administration be able to ignore it and let it fade away, or will they have to address the issue?

And if they address the issue, how will they best do it?

To give any positive nod or ascent will legitimize it.

To reject it will exacerbate it.

What's the next step? Are they between a rock and a hard place?
edit on 14-11-2012 by incoserv because: added a thought

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
this is such a sore subject to be honest you have republicans that are pissy......democrats saying stfu or gtfo, you have independents trying to make a statement....everybody hating everybody and nobody wanting to own up to the collected faults.....its going to to blow over and people are going to go on suckling and sapping...Im so worn out on this topic.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
People have wondered for years and speculated how we could ever go from a peaceful and quiet way of life like we enjoy right now to a police state or oppressed society. Well... There you have it, we now know HOW that is likely to happen.

I hope the people drop kicking Uncle Sam in the family jewels with this are willing to fight with all they have to back it....because if Uncle takes it the least bit seriously, it'll take all that and more just to stay breathing for those being chased.

Remember Tienanmen Square. If anyone doubts for ONE SECOND Obama wouldn't clear the National Mall with equal efficiency, I weep for the victims that will pile up at the end of the day. This is suicidal in my opinion. Writing Washington directly to say you are 100% in support of the crime of Sedition is tantamount to calling the Police Department to say you're a drug dealer who just got robbed. You'll get a response alright....and then spend years wishing you never had.

Just my thoughts on this insanity.
edit on 14-11-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by incoserv

Trump and his loser followers are so lame...Period !

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

actually i think most people refer to it as the first amendment and nothing like what you described.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
People have wondered for years and speculated how we could ever go from a peaceful and quiet way of life like we enjoy right now to a police state or oppressed society. Well... There you have it, we now know HOW that is likely to happen.

I hope the people drop kicking Uncle Sam in the family jewels with this are willing to fight with all they have to back it....because if Uncle takes it the least bit seriously, it'll take all that and more just to stay breathing for those being chased.

Remember Tienanmen Square. If anyone doubts for ONE SECOND Obama wouldn't clear the National Mall with equal efficiency, I weep for the victims that will pile up at the end of the day. This is suicidal in my opinion. Writing Washington directly to say you are 100% in support of the crime of Sedition is tantamount to calling the Police Department to say you're a drug dealer who just got robbed. You'll get a response alright....and then spend years wishing you never had.

Just my thoughts on this insanity.
edit on 14-11-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

I don't think I usually agree with you Wrabbit, but I really couldn't have said it better myself.

Crappy president or not, we are better off united as a people and as a country. If we were to divide ourselves in this manner, we would all be subject to horrible fighting and bloodshed from both inside North America as well as outside. Inciting a civil war over election results just doesn't make sense to me.

So many people couldn't even the stand the sight of Bush, and the same stands true with Obama, and I get that.... either way we get to choose a new leader in four years.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
"My fellow Americans, I feel your pain, I understand your frustration. I am one of you, I came from a humble beginning. I have faced many struggles, and I have learned how cruel society can be to those of us who are a little bit different. I am so glad you re-elected me, now you can work with me to solve the problems left to us by a greedier group of Americans.

I trust you will not let the Republicans in Congress block any of the things I want to do. I want to heal this society. I want to heal the economy. I want everyone to have a fair shot, and I will not let the Republicans or anything else stand in my way.

Because I have been elected there will be a vast improvement in the country, you won't even recognize it, for I will transform society. When I have accomplished this there will be no need to leave the perfect union I have created. So I ask you to wait just a little longer before you give up. In the meantime, support my bills, support my policies, support me. You and I will build a new society, a society of fairness that your grandparents wouldn't recognize. Show me your love, I love you." President Barack Obama

(Intended as a response to the OP to show how it might be handled.)
edit on 14-11-2012 by charles1952 because: add parenthetical material.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Well considering that the states all have the right to leave the union if they choose to.

This is a fact, no one has the right to tell them they can't

The petition was the first step second step and the most critical is they all will have to be voted on by the residents of each state.

Just because a petition was filed it never meant they ARE leaving with that said.

It will be put to a vote and voted on by the residents just like raising taxes, and legalizing substances are voted on.

That is the way that works.

link   
Anybody remember this?

Russian Scholar Predicts Economic Crisis Will Rip America Apart - from FoxNews, November, 2008.

Things Weren't Bad Enough, Russian Professor Predicts End of U.S. - from Wall Street Journal, December, 2008.

Russian Professor Predicts United States Demise - at Yahoo! from January, 2009.

A Russian senior analyst named Igor Panarin was predicting, back in 2008, that by the middle of 2010, the US would have broken up into six separate administrative regions, due to economic collapse.

Any chance he was just off by a few years?

edit on 14-11-2012 by incoserv because: added information

link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Secession is NOT the first amendment. That's absurd, dangerous and ignorant to even suggest and people may well get killed over this stupid idea before it's over. This isn't a game and may the first Rambo here encouraging others, be the first in line to lead the charge. Otherwise? Cheap seats are cheap shots to take while others ignorantly sign their own arrest warrants.

There is NO debate to what is spelled out in plain black letter law......and if this hasn't crossed it already, it's on the RAZOR edge of it. I personally have about no respect for people who would egg on idealists to do something this ill conceived.

Title 18, Chapter 115 - United States Federal Code on Sedition / Subversion / Insurrection and Treason

We spend days debating back and forth about the nature this Government assassinates it's own citizens. NDAA and detention without charges and without appeal or hope of relief. These are all valid things.............and then go kick that same Gov't between the legs with NO way to back up the action?? Well, I guess people's lives may well depend on all the theories being WRONG. If the Government is HALF as ruthless and dangerous as people suggest, then this wasn't signing a petition....it was signing death warrants that'll just take a but of time to work their way BACK to those who so helpfully volunteered to go first.

link   
On paper its one thing.

Boots on the ground, its a completely different thing.

I will say this though. If ALL the states want to seceed, can't we just "fire government" instead?

Sort of like, instead of every sailor jumping off the ship or going AWOL, how about we just mutiny together against the captain instead?

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
States don't need to secede from the union. The governors need to recall the states representatives from congress and fire their asses. Re-elect congress from a pool of candidates that can take a political test (example www.slightlyright.com...) if they are not closely aligned slightly left or right of center they would not be eligible. Put in moderate congressmen who can compromise. Make it clear that anyone making deals with special interests would have to leave congress. Elections every two years based on performance.

Congress has screwed this up and it won't get fixed until we have an honest group of citizens who can compromise and work together.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by fourthmeal
I will say this though. If ALL the states want to seceed, can't we just "fire government" instead?

There are countries around the world (I have lived in some during such events) that simply dissolve the government when things reach an impasse or it becomes evident that the sitting gov't is unable to continue forward.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

the right to petition the federal government is in fact part of the first amendment and in fact that's all they did.

first amendment: an overview

The First Amendment of the United States Constitution protects the right to freedom of religion and freedom of expression from government interference. See U.S. Const. amend. I. Freedom of expression consists of the rights to freedom of speech, press, assembly and to petition the government for a redress of grievances, and the implied rights of association and belief. The Supreme Court interprets the extent of the protection afforded to these rights. The First Amendment has been interpreted by the Court as applying to the entire federal government even though it is only expressly applicable to Congress. Furthermore, the Court has interpreted, the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment as protecting the rights in the First Amendment from interference by state governments. See U.S. Const. amend. XIV.

www.law.cornell.edu...

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by fourthmeal

No, that would be too logical. We can't even get much over 50% of the nation to get off the couch and vote....yet people think a revolution is a grand idea. Near 50% of the nation is on food stamps and over that is on SOME form of benefit. Hows that going to work, I wonder, when what comes to over 150 MILLION people decide this whol secession thing is a BAD idea? Well.. that couple percent who pushed it...IF it ever got that far....would find out how Custer felt in the last 5-10 minutes he had to consider the errors of his ways.

Of course firing the Government would be the solution...but we just had that chance and failed miserably. A few seats of EITHER party actually changed hands. Everyone is about changing government except where THEIR guy is concerned...hence..nothing ever changes and all the guys remain year after year..

But..somehow... secession, which failed at the expense of 625,000 dead Americans the last time, is supposed ot work wonders this time?? Idealism and Reality exist on different planets sometimes.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by incoserv

Seems like this thing has gone beyond an simple meme now.

Seriously? Memes get a lot of attention. Justin Bieber gets 800,000,000 views on YouTube. However, I wouldn't elect the Biebs into any sort of political office.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Nobody has contributed any thoughts toward my original question, though.

How long can the administration ignore this? Or can they?

Will he have to answer this issue, or will he get away with just ignoring it?

If he ignores it, will it not make him look unresponsive? Or will it not make it evident that the whole We The People website things is a sham?

And if he answers it, how can he answer it without either affirming the movement or creating a backlash?

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

They're betting their lives and everything they have....that Obama sees it precisely the same way and their call against his authority and right to lead the Union is something he not only takes no offense at....but has good humor about. If not.....He can pretty well end their futures on the spot. Ask Jose Padilla about that kind of thing. He actually did NOTHING overt. Not one actual act.....and still hasn't been charged. Still sits doing time for nothing with no sentence and no end to it.

Yeah.. Jose Padilla may have a few opinions about Obama seeing free speech as free when it's about HIS own future being ended. That is....if that guy ever sees free air or sunshine again....or they even bother to charge him with an offense that has some form of due process.

Oh well... I said my piece... I hope to God this isn't a thing I'm ever proven right on. If I am...it'll mean a whole lot of people suffered to get there..and they signed up for it by choice.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
If people wanted a revolution or change, they should have voted for an independent in the election. Hell, they should have rallied a campaign for "Joe the Plumber" and sent a message to the two-party system that they would not let them have complete control over politics.

But they didn't do that...

Seceding is not the answer. Even in Quebec Canada where it has nearly reach a majority level, separation did not happen.

You don't destroy a country you rebuild from within. There isn't a country in the world that isn't affected by global interests today anyhow, so if you think separating and hoarding all your resources is going to work you are sadly mistaken.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Seriously? Memes get a lot of attention. Justin Bieber gets 800,000,000 views on YouTube. However, I wouldn't elect the Biebs into any sort of political office.

Uh, yeah, that's the point. It's not just a meme anymore. The number of signatories is growing an a surprising rate. When this first started, I didn't think they'd garner enough signatures to see the light of day.

The petition needs ... what was it, 25,000 signatures to merit a response from the administration?

Texas has well over 70,000 at last count, and Louisiana over 30,000. Either he answers it, or he ignores it.

IMO, if they ignore it, it de-legitimizes the assumption on which the whole process is based.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join