It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people believe in God?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

2-Why do people believe in God? : because humanity is weak from semen to soil they can not find anything else to believe in, Can you !?
3-humanity is engineered to be a slave : be rational can anything else that we make becomes superior than us ! can robots be superior than us !? the truth is that always creators are superior than creatures, are not they !? so there is a God and no other God just the only God ! the first creator that is superior of everything and the ultimate of anything !!!
1-douts : doubts are your keys to truths.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AlbinoMonkey

No you didn't.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Congratulations!!

Sorry for the members who are calling you "dude", and referring to you as "he"....you clearly stated you are female.

You have reached the point of development that EVERYONE reaches (but not all successfully navigate)....to figure out who "You" are, subjectively, as part of the system around you.

You're supposed to be thinking those very things, and wondering those very questions....well done, and VERY well written (leaving me to wonder what you meant by not having much education; if that's the case, you're a born writer, dear!)

Keep asking those questions, and kudos. You won't find the answers anytime soon, it's a long journey, and you're only just beginning as an "adult." Your questions will persist, and I have a feeling you will continue to seek information wherever you think you can get it.

Stay true to yourself, your gut instincts, and the answers will come, ever so slowly. Every person who believes in "God" (or conversely refuses to believe) does so for PERSONAL reasons.

For an interesting study on the subject, and some answers to your questions, read: The Varieties of Religious Experience; A Study in Human Nature by William James, published in 1902.

And then, The Evolution of God by Robert Wright (this one is much more fun reading, but answers the questions just as well). It was published in 2009...over a hundred years later.

Hang in there, young lady! Keep thinking for yourself, and remember that you are subject to influence; your job, as a competent adult, is to wade through the mind-blowing amount of information at your fingertips, and come to some sort of "self". Enjoy it, and always keep an open mind, and use your critical thinking skills!!

You are the leaders of the future, and we have all our hopes tied up in you.

Thank you

I'm used to people on here thinking I'm a guy ... even though my avatar is a woman...

Thing is, I really want to be some kind of leader, to shed light on things for other people... but it's hard to do when you're so confused. Looking at things objectively, you see you many twists and turns, there's no telling what the truth is. I suppose I'm really stuck on that universal question right now...

Why?

Also, I write novels and draw manga books sometimes, so I'm trying to "up" my grammar skills. Thank you, that born writer comment made my day

edit on 13-11-2012 by XxNightAngelusxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Most people believe in god because they wanna believe in something like a highpower
father figure someone to look up to perhaps..

Some people and atheists who would rather see with thier own eyes for proof..
We are told you got to keep the faith and that's it.. so faith what drives them...

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

The reason people believe anything is always because of "evidence"; there's no such a thing as someone who just "chooses" to believe anything without having first been compelled by "evidence"- now, take note that this doesn't mean the "evidence" warrants the belief, or even that they're reasoning correctly- but it odes mean that to them, the evidence is compelling enough to generate the belief. For most people this evidence comes from reality itself. It's the argument that "there's just no way this thing came about randomly" and so it's a matter of culminatory evidence of dwindling odds.

It's like if you and I and an atheist are watching a man flip a coin. He flips and the result is heads. A second flip, a second heads; a third, a fourth, and so on. he flips the coin twenty times and there's twenty straight heads results. At this point I turn to you and say, "This is fixed; something is interfering with the result, and the coin is being manipulated"; the atheist turns to you and says, "It's not fixed; yes, this series of event outcomes is very unlikely, but there's no intereference, and the coin is not biased."

The flips continue and we get to 100 heads results; I turn and say "This is clearly fixed, the coin is being manipulated" again the atheist says "There's no evidence of the coin being biased; this can be explained as just a series of incredibly unlikely outcomes- yet I say the coin is not biased"; we get to 1,000 heads flips; again the atheist turns to you and says, "This is very unlikely, yet it need not be called "fixed" this could be just a series of incredibly unlikely outcomes" then you turn to me and discover I have walked away, freely allowing you to stand before the man wondering if the coin is biased or not.

The point here is this: to the atheist, no amount of incredibly unlikely outcomes can convince him of the intereference going on, because in a sense he is right- it could be that the coin is not biased, and he's simply seeing the results of a series of unfathomably unlikely events occuring- so he always has that "it just looks like intereference, but it's not". Now, while he is technically correct of what it could be, his reasoning is horribly askew. This is because he should've rejected the "null hypothesis" (coin is unbiased) LONG ago. Around the 7th flip of the coin, even though we still recognize that it is possible that the coin is not biased, it is rationally undefensable to believe this is the case, and belief that the coin is biased is now the proper rational course. Let alone when we get to flip 1000.

It may indeed be possible the coin is unbiased, but the position is irrational. Even if the coin actually did turn out to be unbiased, he would still be wrong for concluded it as such from the series of outcomes. He would just happen to be using horrible reasoning to arrive at a true conclusion. So in fact, aethists have the greatest "blind faith" imaginable- "the 10000000000 straight heads flips don't suggest bias."

But the fact is that, right ior wrong, this analogue is the reason people believe in God. In the next post I will state why consciousness proves God exists. Afterward I may then prove why the bible proves that this existent deity is in fact the biblically proposed divinity.
edit on 14-11-2012 by MrCobb because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
It'd be too easy to tell you to believe or not believe in Jesus (who is our Creator). Try this, ask him to show you who he is in a prayer, tell him you do not know him but you want to know more about him and if it be possible, for him to teach you. When in doubt, just ask him.

I was agnostic 2 years ago, but science cannot explain all things. Science says ghosts and spirits do not exist, but i've seen things that make that statement a lie. I've had dishes thrown at me from across the room when no one was there, and had footsteps walk across my kitchen and living room floor when no one was there to where my cat was tracking it with her eyes, and heard foosteps walk up behind me and and someone breathe down my neck only to turn and no one was there either,, and heard laughter when no one was there, and my lights turning on by themselves when i was asleep with a gruff voice saying "get up!" when no one was there. There are also cases of people being killed by demonic entities.

All this activity stopped when i asked Jesus to save me, and it worked. I was able to stop being afraid of what i knew was there but couldn't see, and believe me there is nothing more terrifying than there being an entity there with you that can harm you and you cannot fight back against it.

A start for you could be paranormal investigation, but beware, things (demons) can follow you home and they are not easy to get rid of. Once you open that door, it's hard to get closed.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
It'd be too easy to tell you to believe or not believe in Jesus (who is our Creator). Try this, ask him to show you who he is in a prayer, tell him you do not know him but you want to know more about him and if it be possible, for him to teach you. When in doubt, just ask him.

I was agnostic 2 years ago, but science cannot explain all things. Science says ghosts and spirits do not exist, but i've seen things that make that statement a lie. I've had dishes thrown at me from across the room when no one was there, and had footsteps walk across my kitchen and living room floor when no one was there to where my cat was tracking it with her eyes, and heard foosteps walk up behind me and and someone breathe down my neck only to turn and no one was there either,, and heard laughter when no one was there, and my lights turning on by themselves when i was asleep with a gruff voice saying "get up!" when no one was there. There are also cases of people being killed by demonic entities.

All this activity stopped when i asked Jesus to save me, and it worked. I was able to stop being afraid of what i knew was there but couldn't see, and believe me there is nothing more terrifying than there being an entity there with you that can harm you and you cannot fight back against it.

A start for you could be paranormal investigation, but beware, things (demons) can follow you home and they are not easy to get rid of. Once you open that door, it's hard to get closed.

It's still a question of faith and taking ones word for it if i said jesus appear would he?
the scriptures say he wont appear to me right now but then thousands of years time i too
could write a book saying he i will never appear etc to cover myself to rule or to do as i
please whether it be good or evil..

If i or others wrote and effort put into it who knows what followers i could muster on mother earth.
but it will require faith ..

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
So there's something you do everyday. It's something impossibly awesome, but you do it so much that it's lost the proverbial magic. You dream. Yes indeed, the clay is dreaming. Look, I close my eyes and dream. Look I see a woman. I see her image clearly. She's beautiful, with dark hair and green eyes; and smiling. Look she's waving at me! And I hear her voice, she's calling out, "John! John! Here I am, John! Here I am!" Can you see her image, too? "Hello!" Hey do you hear her voice? "Hello there! Here I am!" I reach out my physical hand- but I can't touch her with my physical hand. Where is she? Where is this woman? This image? Amazingly she has no location in spacetime. I clearly hear her voice yet it doesn't transit through spacetime.

If I take out my brain, will I see her image therein? If I pry open the grey matter will I find her there? Smiling and waving "Here I am!" Nope. So where is the image? It has no location in spacetime- but the image I perceive is every bit as real as the image I perceive of, say, a tree when I look at it. But this image exists outside of spacetime, doesn't it? It must, for it is as real as any other image I perceive- yet my body in spacetime cannot interact with her. She is non-spatial. In fact, every time you go to sleep and dream, you have entered into a non-spatial reality and you interact with it. Now, some may want to tell you the image isn't "real" but if that is the case, what are you perceiving, if not a "real image"?

Now it is plainly apparent that spatial MUST be emergent from non-spatial: this is simple geometry. We must begin at the non-spatial point, and spatial will gradually emerge from non-spatial. Does a point emerge from a cube, or does a cube emerge from a point? The latter, obviously. Non-spatial is the foundation of all that is spatial. So where are these dreams coming from? When did dreams begin? Where is the beginning of perception? Imagination? Consciousness? It exists outside of spacetime, as your dreams are clearly showing you. And if it exists outside of spacetime, then it exists independant of time. Is consciousness, dreams, imaginations- are these affected by entropy? No? Do you dreams show any sign of loss of information, or potential? Is imagination exactly the same today as it was a thousand years ago? Yes of course. Consciousness is the same as it ever was- and ever will be. It's not existent in spacetime, so it should be no surprise that time has no effect on it.

This means it has no beginning, and no ending. It always has been, and always will be. It does not emerge from spatial reality, but the opposite - spatial reality is emergent from consciousness. And you should know easily that all of your thoughts take place in this non-spatial conscious reality. You hear your "internal dialogue" running through your consciousness all the time. No one else perceives their voice, but you do. You hear it clearly. Where does this voice exist? Where is it's location in spacetime? If it exists outside of spacetime, then... it is eternal.

Eternal consciousness. Eternal thought. Eternal imagination. Eternal dream. Eternal IDEA.

What would be a good word to describe this, eternal, imagining, dreaming, thinking, consciousness?

Remember- nothing that you experience is actual. Every image you see is a construct of your mind, every sound you hear, every thing you feel. All exist in your mind. When you look around at the world you're experiencing- you're looking at your mind. The "real world" is invisible- it's not until your brain is stimulated, sends a message, which is interpeted, and then YOUR MIND DREAMS the resulting "image" of your perception. You are CREATING WORLDS.

Look at this video I made it just for YOU:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Now, I'll go ahead a touch on, why the biblical God is the real deal, and see where all this goes. First of all be sure to understand that the "man on a throne" is just an analogue, and reading all the bible you'll find that the biblical concept of God is correlated to the idea we call TRUTH: for instance:

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

Okay so it shouldn't be difficult to see what's being correlated here. So if you believe in truth then you believe in the biblical God. And everyone pretty much does, they just don't understand that they do because they've been manipulated with SEMANTICS. But the real question is not "do you believe in God/Truth?" but "do you believe the bible is accurately expressing Truth? Do you believe this "testimony" of the "King of Israel" is true? Or is it false? Is what this "Lord of Hosts" saying, true or not true? That is the real question. I believe the testimony is accurately conveying truth: now, there are myraid angels for this, most of them due to the incredible anomalous nature of the testimony. I'll touch on one of these for the time being: the presentation/revelation of this "Lord God":

All of the holy books have their share of creation myths, praises, hymns, battle stories, etc. but the bible contains some radical anomalies: such as, the interaction of the "Lord God" with His "people". We have here a Lord God who appears to a man and starts telling him what to do, where to go, who to interact with, making promises and such. He then appears to the man's son, doing the same thing. Meeting up with him, telling him where to go and what to do, making more promises. He leaves, then centuries later "I'm back; time for more".

Now he starts interacting with this group of people, he starts speaking of literal nations and how he is manipulating their rulers. He causes catastrophies, starts interacting with the whole group- even allegedly showing up at a mountain to talk to all of them. Then he sends them on their way, telling them where to go, what to do "circle this place this many times, now move over here, do this" and starts having them construct things, "Now build this object, take it there, circle this, move up, put the object there, fight these people" then disappears. Later comes back, "Me again, time for more; now go do this, take that guy up there, put that object in this object, bring those people there, over here" etc etc

He keeps doing this across the centuries "now make this calendar, note these days- now go do this and that" and he's speaking as though he's actually controlling reality; he speaking of specific nations and claiming "now I'm going to do this to that nation, and this nation this, and put that object here; and now I'm going to manipulate that other nation to put that object there" and He keeps going and going, and "Now I'm going to tell you WHY I've been doing these things- because this thing over there that I told you put in that, these people are going to do this; and then I'm moving that nation over here" and by the time he gets toward the end of the "interfering with reality" he starts saying "I'm doing all of these things so now you understand when I come Myself I'm going to do this that and the other thing, taking that object there and this over here" and in the end, "I'm doing all of this to ALTER THE COURSE OF REALITY ITSELF."

So, this presentation of this "Lord God" is so strikingly anomalous that it begs to be taken as heavy evidence that this "God" is not like any of the others. If this is all human fabricated lies, then we should see this also appearing in other holy books- but I don't see anything like it at all anywhere else. This is the alleged account of a God that is spanning the centuries, repeatedly allegedly interfering with reality, and specifically stating the goal of altering reality itself.

You may be able to look at this and go "big deal" but I look at this and go "this is extraordinary evidence of the most spectacular kind"; this "God" is not only claiming his goal is to alter reality- but it is evidently apparent that he is succeeding. At the very least this "bible" is extraordinary evidence that someone did constantly contact these people, and is actually manipulating the course of human history. The conclusion is that, at the least, this is extraordinary evidence of extra-terrestrial manipulation of the earth; at most, the "Lord God" is who he is claiming to be, and the testimony he's leaving is true.

This is one thread of "evidence" for the alleged biblical Lord God being real- if not truthful.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join