It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Grain of Sand Theory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Hello,

I'm new to the boards and this is my first post outside of the Introduction area. So go easy on me please. I have a theory that has been tossing around in my head and I would like to put it in your mind for a sec to let you toss it and give feedback.

Theory: If you put every single grain of sand together on this planet and then picked up one grain- that would be the planet earth on your fingertip.

There is no way that this is the only piece of rock that has sentient life on it considering the (put a big number here) planets that are floating around out there. There has to be other lifeforms out there (even if we don't know they exist).

I'm not that good in math (majored in English) but I'm sure there is a huge number out there on the odds of this planet hosting the only sentient life in the universe. If you know it please feel free to list it. I'm pretty sure we are NOT alone in the universe and there are other civilizations out there in the vastness of space. Call them aliens if you will.

Am I crazy for even thinking this? I hope not. Most of the people I talk to look at me like I'm crazy when I talk about the universe and after-life and all. Feels good to be in an environment where other people share some of the same views, thoughts and opinions as me.

That's just one of my theories that I'm posting here on the boards so feel free to reply. If this post is in the wrong section please forgive me and direct me to the appropriate area.

Thanks,

Thedreamur

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   
There certainly is alot of people on these forums, including myself, that feel it isnt a matter of if but how many other forms of intelligent life exist outside of this planet. So no, in that you are not alone. I don't have number, naturally. On a recent thread we discussed the Drake Equation. Its purpose was to determine how many intelligent, communicating civilizations there are in our galaxy.

www.activemind.com...

As far as your sand theory, I think I understand the analogy. That is, if it was a metaphysical one? Obviously it's connected to the idea that sentient life exist all throughout the universe. Could you elaborate more on this?

*Edit: Oh yeah. Welcome

[edit on 123131p://21u28 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
The analogy is in fact a metaphysical one and it is connected to the idea that sentient life does exist all throughout the universe. To me, that's the best way I can describe it in terms of mathmatics and using my plain eyesight. Sitting on a beach and looking at the uncountable grains of sand (not to mention the ones that break when you walk on them) reminds me of when I look up at the night sky. So much there and so much more under the surface of what's in your plain sight.

Thanks for the link Lucid. I've never ran across this before but this is what I was describing in my own way.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 12:27 AM
link   
That's what I thought. Good analogy. Definitely something people should ponder. There are billions of galaxies in the visible universe. That's enough to sell me =)

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I agree with you both on this. I seriously have problems when peopel say that they believe Humans are the only existing life form. I mean, they forget the animal kindom, but they are just birds and bugs right??? They can't think for themselves.

How did people get so closed minded.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 05:05 AM
link   
If you changed all the planets and stars in the unvirse into sand it would take a MUCH bigger planet then earth to hold all the sand you would have.
As a matter of fact even stars as sand would over flow earth.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
There certainly is alot of people on these forums, including myself, that feel it isnt a matter of if but how many other forms of intelligent life exist outside of this planet. So no, in that you are not alone. I don't have number, naturally. On a recent thread we discussed the Drake Equation. Its purpose was to determine how many intelligent, communicating civilizations there are in our galaxy.

www.activemind.com...

As far as your sand theory, I think I understand the analogy. That is, if it was a metaphysical one? Obviously it's connected to the idea that sentient life exist all throughout the universe. Could you elaborate more on this?

*Edit: Oh yeah. Welcome

[edit on 123131p://21u28 by Lucid Lunacy]

Ive come across the drake equation once before in a book and its a real eye opener.
I put in my values for the drake equation and I got a 2.544 civilizations that can co-exist at the same time and are able to communicate. Thats a a pretty disappointing number..

Th

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I've often wondered if we are all just guessing at the number and kind of life out there, but are really skewed. After all, who ever said life had to be life as we know it? What about life based on silica? Non carbon based lifeforms? Energy based life forms? I wonder if we have ever been encountered by another life form, but becuase we try to often to only see life as we know it, we have totally missed first contact?

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
ya i agree also. i mean.....there HAS to be other life out there. i just hope that if and when they come into the public eye, they dont kick our ass and kill us all...

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
your theory sounds alot like the Dr Suess 'Horton Hears a who'............I wish I could find that cartoon movie on video, it is really good!
("boil that dust speck! boil that dust speck!").....("we're HERE! we're HERE!)

Its about an elephant "Horton" who finds a speck of dust with an entire world living on it, and his challange at trying to convince others, and to keep it safe from non believers...........VERY LIKE your grain of sand theory.

top topics

join