reply to post by ketsuko
You remember me the so old rhetoric of certain political party that every election claims that if there is a President they dont like trying to be
reelected he is another unsuccessful leader like Jimmy Carter.
Lets check how accurate is the statement that Carter was not a successful President or the worst, as they like always to say:
1) If Carter was not successful since he was only one term in the white house, well the same can be said of extremly popular Presidents like JF
Kennedy or A Lincoln.
2) Well, it is true that he was only one term in the oval office, but at least he never was forced to resignate to continue in his job, like it
happened to L Johnson and R Nixon. Moreover, he was never catched in a lie, specially being under oath, as it happened to R Nixon and W Clinton.
3) He also never was impeached or menaced to be so as it happened to R Reagan and W Clinton, that were both reelected.
4) Mr Carter never dealed with a political scandal that questioned his ethics, as it happened with R Nixon in Watergate, R Reagan in Irangate or W
Clinton in Sexgate.
5) He also never drove the country to a policy that began a long escalation of the public finances toward a giant deficit, as R Reagan and G W H Bush
did or to a global recesion or Great Depression as G.W.Bush and C Coolidge did.
6) He never push the country to conflicts that was unable later to win as it happened to L Johnson or GW Bush, or took in his hands the responsibility
to use massive destruction weapons to try to end one, as it happened with H Truman when launched a nuclear attack over civil population in 1945.
7) it is true that he lost the election of 1980 affronting the horrendus campaign that Reagan launched against him, in moments in which he was
affronting the violation of the international Law by the regime of Teheran against American diplomats, but at least he lost against only one rival and
not trying to be relected with two opponents inthe election, embarrassment that in modern History only G.H.W.Bush has had in 1992.
8) Finally, he was indeed not relected and with a clear margin of votes against him, but at least he didnt affront the embarrassment that his own
Vicepresident didnt want to run again with him, as It happened to G Ford with N Rockefeller, or to be forced the fire his own Vicepresident, for
criminal charges against him, as it happend to Nixon with S Agnew.
9) He has beem longly blamed for the bad performance that the economy had in 1979-80, but the objective truth is that he inherited a sick economy from
his predecessors, in a similar way that H Hoover in 1929, that was their tragedy and both affronted with courage times of crisis, that even their
successors couldn't fix in one term. Yes, they, in that sense, were unsuccessful, but they worked in the best of their abilities to try to repair
what they didn't damage and for that reason History has exonerated them. President Carter won Nobel Prize in 2002 and President Hoover was nominated
5 times for it - in 1921, 1933, 1941, 1946 and 1964.
Everything can be of the political color that you want to depending through which lens you are checking it.
Thanks for your interesting comment, By the way check my profile please, I am a respectable seer not a politician.
The Angel of Lightness
edit on 11/13/2013 by The angel of light because: (no reason given)