It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unwanted homepages...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I have, for the past month or so, been victim to an unwanted homepage. I delete my cookies, internet (and temp) files, clear history, run Ad Aware and Avast... I always reset my homepage to the one I want... but it always ends up back at "Cool Web Sites" or some [insert foul language here] like that.

How the hell do I remove this?!

I have searched the internet, went to various PC magazine sites in hopes of finding the solution, but I haven't turned up squat (other than reformating).

Other then reformating, is there anything I can do?

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Have you checked the add/remove program intereface?? Maybe you can spot a few programs in there that are not ones you installed that the other programs are not catching...

I had the exact same problem occur...it slows down you performence and becomes a living hell - after running trojan scans, spyware scans, virus scans, etc...I finally caught the bastard...Maintaing your firewall is also important...and having a good pop-up blocker and other internet security devices (like Norton) will help to rid your computer of these things...

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Once you have your machine cleaned up, try a new browser. If you are using Internet Explorer as your web browser, consider switching to another one. IE contains some security holes that allow maliciously constructed websites to install programs on your computer without your knowledge. That might be what is happening.

I have heard that Windows XP Service Pack 2 helps with the problem, but not completely. I have no personal experiece to back that up.

Since I switched to Firefox I have had no problems like that at all.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Oh, if I could give you ATS points, I would! That did the trick, thanks!

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
COOL WEB SEARCH SUCKS!!!!!!

I had it on one of my PC's..

The CWshredder works for the older COOL WEB SEARCH exploits...But the guy who wrote the software GAVE UP...He was doing it for free...And the updates to the That webpage hijacker, came too quickly..So he GAVE up....

I tried quite a few of the common Spybot type cleaners...

My quickfix, was to install FireFox, like Spectre recommends...
But if you REALLY REALLY want to get rid of it, and can't...Back up all of your important files...And RE-INSTALL!!!...Sucks, but it works..

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by soothsayer
Oh, if I could give you ATS points, I would! That did the trick, thanks!

Your Welcome...anything for the future President of the United States.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I didn't back up my files since the CWS came up. Since I didn't know where it was, I didn't want to take the chance of infecting my computer again... but as of right now, my burner is working overtime.

I had Mozilla for a while, but I was lazy... didn't want to transfer my bookmarked pages; live and learn.

The funniest thing about Cool Web Site is that it doesn't even work! I'd be a little more inclined towards it if it did proper searches, but noooooo.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by soothsayer
I had Mozilla for a while, but I was lazy... didn't want to transfer my bookmarked pages; live and learn.

It does it automatically now...FireFox does atleast. I havent used Mozilla forever.

top topics

join