It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart is NOT family oriented ! (At least for their employees !)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
My husband called on his break from work, said hey, check out my Thanksgiving day schedule...so i did...this is insane...

6pm to 3am??????
So now any chance of OUR time as family for thanksgiving is off...i know we should be thankful he has a job and we ARE...but never in all his years working for them have they pulled something this crazy in his schedule..."to beat the black friday rush" they say...
Is the all mighty dollar so important to them? oh wait, forgot who i was talking about ! BAH !

~suthainn
edit on 8-11-2012 by suthainn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by suthainn

I was in management with Wal Mart for awhile when I was younger and you are spot on. They don't care about their people at all. They really don't. Everyone there is 100% replaceable and they know it.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
It's Thanksgiving. Who cares? Some overrated turkey dinner is worth closing stores and Christmas shopping chaos? No.

Stop celebrating Thanksgiving. It's a complete waste of time.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I hear that they take out life insurance policies on employees that they think are unhealthy too. Maybe they give crazy work schedules to people they have live insurance policies on hoping that it will help drive them over the edge.

I wouldn't put it past them.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by suthainn
My husband called on his break from work, said hey, check out my Thanksgiving day schedule...so i did...this is insane...

6pm to 3am??????
So now any chance of OUR time as family for thanksgiving is off...i know we should be thankful he has a job and we ARE...but never in all his years working for them have they pulled something this crazy in his schedule..."to beat the black friday rush" they say...
Is the all mighty dollar so important to them? oh wait, forgot who i was talking about ! BAH !

~suthainn
edit on 8-11-2012 by suthainn because: (no reason given)

I try as hard as I can to shop somewhere else...sorry I wish everyone else would to but they are conditioned and you husband would be out of a job...

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I'd call in sick. Phuk 'em. Sorry for the language but to me family is more important than money. The little quality time we get to spend with them is priceless.
edit on 8-11-2012 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

The policy used to be that anyone who called in sick on Holidays was automatically terminated - even with a doctors note or medical excuse. They're willing to pay the unemployment for a bad termination just to prove a point to their labor force.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Eat dinner early, visit with family early!! Or forget it all together. Every day should be thanksgiving. Every day, try to write down what you *are* thankful for, and have your family do so too.....It is a positive way to connect with your family without a huge turkey or ham...

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Our family is scattered all over from New York to California. We celebrate our Thanksgiving the day after so we can have everyone together since other In-law family obligations always seem to pop up. We do the same with Christmas and honestly it works great for us and is a great reliever of stress over the whole holiday issue.
The point is family, not the date.
Walmart may be a horrible employer but I certainly wouldn't let them ruin my holidays but that part is up to you.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
When people in our family had to work on Thanksgiving evening, we just had dinner earlier, and it worked out fine. Then we would save a plate for anyone who had to work during the day.

Or, like mentioned above, just celebrate on Saturday (or another day) instead! The holiday is really just about getting together with family and friends, and the date and time should not matter.

edit on 8-11-2012 by PacificBlue because: can't spell

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by XLR8R

The policy used to be that anyone who called in sick on Holidays was automatically terminated - even with a doctors note or medical excuse. They're willing to pay the unemployment for a bad termination just to prove a point to their labor force.

Too bad some judge/jury somewhere couldn't set precident and hammer Walmart on that.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
i think what we will do is wait until his next day off, have family over and have a huge dinner and be glad we have a roof over our heads and food for our bellies and then give to a food bank...we dont take from food banks, salvation army, red cross or anything unless we were in need and that was 7 yrs ago...since then even if we can only give a can of veggies or $5 to the homeless man sitting in a doorway, we do...
i agree, shopping at walmart is not the way to support whats left in america, we shop at second hand stores or small mom and pop places if they are still open...and yes, if everyone turned their backs, my husband would not have a job, but sometimes we struggle with the wonder of is it worth having THAT job and the way treated...
We live in a "right to work state" so he can be fired for any reason and not get unemployment, so he says he's held by the short and curlies from them...and yet he still takes pride in his work, not for the company, but because of himself...
in all this, however, some men can only be pushed so far...
maybe its time to raise chickens and goats and think of a shack in the wilderness...

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Of course walmart is not family oriented. I traded days with an older lady in my department several times when i worked there, so she could go to her kids extracurricular activities. Did walmart care? Not really.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

I used to work for walmart as a Teenager. In my later days of employment, my grandma fell deathly ill. She was in the midst of her final days and I told Walmart that I needed time off to be with her. I spent some time with her and missed work because of it. When she finally passed away, I called Walmart and told them that I needed more time off for bereavement and my employer says "I'm sick of this excuse".

Well that was it for me and walmart. I never spent another dollar there, or ever returned to work there. They treat their employees like numbers.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Of course not, no retail job is family oriented.

Walmart does have the flexibility of 24/7 schedules, so it is a nice choice for people that are single parents, or attending school, or work a 2nd job, etc.

Walmart also offers profit-sharing, and stock-purchase plans, and employee discounts on their already cheap crap.

It isn't an evil organization, it is just a for-profit corporation that has to meet certain expectations to stay in business and be accountable to shareholders, many of which are also employees such as your husband.

top topics

join