It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally 20 posts. Been reading ATS for over a year now and I have to say this before I say anything

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

edit on 7-11-2012 by wildtimes because: someone else beat me to it. "It's" always means "it is".

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by prostheticmind

Originally posted by reficul
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

that's odd.
i do use firefox and i still get the red lines!
i just ignore the red!
it doen't matter much about grammar here anyway,as long is the idea is understood. no?
99% of members make grammatical errors anyway! (fancy word eh!!!
)

Again, I dream of a future where the ideas presented on this forum will be taken seriously by the scientific community, and the educated populace in general.

This is a message board. You do know its function, don't you? Why should it be taken more seriously by the scientific community? The educated populace is here and you are making whiner rant threads. Don't expect to be taken seriously now.
It's also obvious you've never been to more serious "scientific" message boards and communities if you're judging everyone here for their spelling and grammar as an indication of their intelligence.

I hope you all can understand me. I didn't use spellcheck or obsess over grammar. Mea Culpa! Crucify me.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

Originally posted by reficul
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

that's odd.
i do use firefox and i still get the red lines!
i just ignore the red!
it doen't matter much about grammar here anyway,as long is the idea is understood. no?
99% of members make grammatical errors anyway! (fancy word eh!!!
)

Again, I dream of a future where the ideas presented on this forum will be taken seriously by the scientific community, and the educated populace in general.

This is a message board. You do know its function, don't you? Why should it be taken more seriously by the scientific community? The educated populace is here and you are making whiner rant threads. Don't expect to be taken seriously now.
It's also obvious you've never been to more serious "scientific" message boards and communities if you're judging everyone here for their spelling and grammar as an indication of their intelligence.

I hope you all can understand me. I didn't use spellcheck or obsess over grammar. Mea Culpa! Crucify me.

Ok again, I never said that spelling errors mean that the poster is unintelligent. In fact, the reason for my post is because I believe most of the posters are quite intelligent, and the frequent errors hurt their CREDIBILITY. It's saying more about your intelligence that you didn't even comprehend the basis of what I was saying.
edit on 7-11-2012 by prostheticmind because: Phone messed up. Added response.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by prostheticmind

You're first thread!!! Your going to love posting here when your used to the individuality expressed here-- the sheer variety of opinion, knowledge and style is humbling.

You're and Your : One of my pet peeves is they are often misused. I've learned to grimace at the screen and move on. When someone doesn't meet my grammar standards, it doesn't decrease the value of the ideas they're expressing... any more than impeccable grammar validates the thoughts they share.

That said, you have a right to an opinion too. Everyone has a right to speak his mind!

edit on 11/7/2012 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by new_here

You're going to love posting here when your used to the individuality expressed here-- the sheer variety of opinion, knowledge and style is humbling.

You're and Your : One of my pet peeves is they are often misused. I've learned to grimace at the screen and move on. When someone doesn't meet my grammar standards, it doesn't the value of the ideas they're expressing... any more than impeccable grammar validates the thoughts they share.

That said, you have a right to an opinion too. Everyone has a right to speak his mind!

Well said. It disappoints but I'm sure I will get through it. Thank you for not insulting me while still communicating your views.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Thank you for not insulting me while still communicating your views.

You're welcome. I don't know why people don't just say "It doesn't bother me" if bad grammar doesn't grate on their nerves, instead of trying to convince you that it shouldn't bother you.

Whatever the topic, if it strikes a nerve in people they sometimes bite hard. I guess we all have our sore spots?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Ok again, I never said that spelling errors mean that the poster is unintelligent. In fact, the reason for my post is because I believe most of the posters are quite intelligent, and the frequent errors hurt their CREDIBILITY.

In my eyes what destroys a persons credibility is the lack of proof provided for a point of view or idea that they are presenting. I think credibility is far more 'damaged' in this way than spelling errors, which by the way, we've all made from time to time. It does not seem matter how many times we've 'proofed' what we are about to send out on the internet for all to see, many times our eyes pass by the offending error.

It's saying more about your intelligence that you didn't even comprehend the basis of what I was saying.

Poor form. You complain about other's on this thread coming down on you a bit harshly and yet, it would seem, you feel free to insult another members intelligence. Nice touch. I can only hope that your next thread will be in a tone a little less high handed.

Speaking of your next thread (or response), what forum topics should we be monitoring in order to get a better feel for your scientifically adroit and grammatically superior contributions? While I could not resist the barb, that is actually a serious question as you've not really provided us with any indication of your interests other than a person who has a great interest in the proper usage of the English language.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Whale i bee! I din nebber no der iz a speel cheeker bilt rite in two are ATS re-pli sistim!

We bee lernin' sumpin' gnew ebby dai heya!

You waited through 20 posts to make a "rant"?

There is no spell checker here on my screen in this reply.

edit on 7/11/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: accidently spelled a word CORRECTLY

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

As long as I understand what the person is trying to say I reely couldn't care about grammer... This isn't university and you are not being graded for your grammar. Just deal with it.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Ok again, I never said that spelling errors mean that the poster is unintelligent. In fact, the reason for my post is because I believe most of the posters are quite intelligent, and the frequent errors hurt their CREDIBILITY. It's saying more about your intelligence that you didn't even comprehend the basis of what I was saying.
edit on 7-11-2012 by prostheticmind because: Phone messed up. Added response.

Why would it affect someones credibility? Just like you spelt quite, that would be spelt wrong to me because I spell it "quiet". So you must not have much credibility to start with..

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
sumtymes its not the speling that getz us.

I tipe at 148wpm, sometimes when i type a word i autoamtically put on 2 letters at the end to make a different word, purely out of speed habit.

I think people need to proof read more than spell check, i know more often than not i get passionate, smash out a reply on the keyboard then hit submit only to see a basic error and go back and edit it.

Regardless, focus on the topic and what the person is saying, who cears if their is spelt theyre, there or theer!

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MyMindIsMyOwn

Ok again, I never said that spelling errors mean that the poster is unintelligent. In fact, the reason for my post is because I believe most of the posters are quite intelligent, and the frequent errors hurt their CREDIBILITY.

In my eyes what destroys a persons credibility is the lack of proof provided for a point of view or idea that they are presenting. I think credibility is far more 'damaged' in this way than spelling errors, which by the way, we've all made from time to time. It does not seem matter how many times we've 'proofed' what we are about to send out on the internet for all to see, many times our eyes pass by the offending error.

It's saying more about your intelligence that you didn't even comprehend the basis of what I was saying.

Poor form. You complain about other's on this thread coming down on you a bit harshly and yet, it would seem, you feel free to insult another members intelligence. Nice touch. I can only hope that your next thread will be in a tone a little less high handed.

Speaking of your next thread (or response), what forum topics should we be monitoring in order to get a better feel for your scientifically adroit and grammatically superior contributions? While I could not resist the barb, that is actually a serious question as you've not really provided us with any indication of your interests other than a person who has a great interest in the proper usage of the English language.

It wasn't an insult, it was an observation. My comments were in regard to credibility, and the member in question claimed that I said people who don't proofread are unintelligent. This tells me they either didn't read what I said, or they didn't understand what I said.

As for your question, no one asked me about my personal interests so I hadn't thought to share them. I'm very curious about ego, as some may have gathered from this conversation. I don't plan on limiting myself to just a few forum topics however, so I anticipate you will see my opinions sooner or later if you make a habit of reading a lot of what is posted here.

Finally, thank you for having the decency to insult me in a serious manner, instead of mocking people who actually lack intelligence.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
There are quite a few threads on exactly what you are talking about....can you add that to your pet peeves as well? People that post without checking?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
There are quite a few threads on exactly what you are talking about....can you add that to your pet peeves as well? People that post without checking?

I was wondering when that would be brought up. Three pages and you're the first one to say it. Three pages of people feigning idiocy to try to get me to feel bad about stating an opinion, and they didn't even think that there may be a logical way to end the conversation by pointing out that this topic is moot. Honestly I'm surprised it took so long, you guys usually jump on stuff like this on page 1.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012

I was wondering when that would be brought up. Three pages and you're the first one to say it. Three pages of people feigning idiocy to try to get me to feel bad about stating an opinion, and they didn't even think that there may be a logical way to end the conversation by pointing out that this topic is moot. Honestly I'm surprised it took so long, you guys usually jump on stuff like this on page 1.

Wrong, I guess you missed the 3rd post.

gyfhjuyffufyyyyyyfffffffffffyyuyyfyufyfyufyufyfuyf]yuyuiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiyfyfy no spell check on my page and i do you like bad grammer i love making really big sentences and not using caps but not as much as telling you to go comment on one of the thousands of other rants about spelling that seem to pop up on an hourly basis

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Oh no not a grammer Nazi.

Just sayin'.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Knowledge is its own reward.

"its" has an apostrophe. Like this: "it's".

pathetic.

You may wish to revise that, "knowledge is it is own reward" is incorrect. The original post was correct.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
LOOK, YOU LITTLE OOMLAT!

SO YOU DECIDE TO COME IN HERE AND BUST YOUR ATS HYPHEN WITH THIS POST?!

WHILE YOU MAY HAPPEN TO HAVE AN OVERLY-TIGHT COLON AND A TINY DANGLING PARTICIPLE
IT DOESN'T GIVE YOU THE RIGHT TO COME IN HERE WITH THESE TYPE OF POINTLESS
EXCLAMATIONS!

SO TAKE YOUR OPINIONS AND SHOVE THEM UP YOUR ASTERISK!

jk....my meds haven't kicked in yet

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Bust jecause I'm a little lisdexic doesn't cessenarrily mean I'm stuckin Fupid!!!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join