It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally 20 posts. Been reading ATS for over a year now and I have to say this before I say anything

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
well,for your first thread,your not making too many friends!
i'm canadian,and my spell check is U.S.!
will you correct me when i spell 'colour'?
what if english is my second language?
i'd like to see one of your longer text messages on your phone! is that proper grammar/spelling as well?
when someone is speaking with you,do you know if they are spelling there,they're,or their in their head?
ATS is an open forum to express ideas and/or opinions.
it is not an essay writing competition where your english is judged!
by the way,you must have known by now that not too many people use capital letters here either,unless they are really trying to express themselves!
any way,hope you enjoy the ride!
peace!
(or is that piece!)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by reficul
i'm canadian,and my spell check is U.S.!
I hope you're using Firefox: addons.mozilla.org...

No red lines for "colour" here.

edit on 7/11/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Damn people, as much as I would like to agree with all of you, cut the OP some slack. If you look at the world today, New Speak is taking over our daily language.
I cut people slack, since I have poor grammar skills myself, especially with spelling, and sentence construction, but I would agree with the OP

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Hlelo prostheticmind..............

Dno't wrory aubot the slpeling mtae

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig, huh ? Yaeh, and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt !

(Standard reply for spelling Nazi's)

(Pats you on the back and says "There, Their, They're")

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Ok, I am sorry for wishing that this website could be taken more seriously. It really is not that hard to figure out how to format something properly, we have the Internet.

In my experience, people who don't speak English well generally start their threads with 'excuse my English,' or something similar, so I really wasn't talking about them. I'm talking about the kind of people that get super heated up and destroy the scientific credibility of this forum by appearing as dolts, or who try to explain a complex subject without being able to string together a sentence. I don't see why so many people are defending poor communication, it seems to me that one who wants to increase their general knowledge would naturally want to understand how to communicate in an intelligent and effective manner.

So I am sorry to the people who I may have offended, I really did not mean for you to take offense. I was perhaps too abrasive.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by prostheticmind

So if I read a 2012 thread, I will find it more acceptable if the grammar was good? No I won't .

By the way you had several grammatical errors in your post.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by reficul

Do Canadians spell English words the way they are spelled in the UK. If so then why not just use an English spell checker. Or do you use some kind of Anglo, Aussie, American mix with a touch of Francais.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by violet
reply to post by prostheticmind

So if I read a 2012 thread, I will find it more acceptable if the grammar was good? No I won't .

By the way you had several grammatical errors in your post.

Is that what I said? No. Read what I said and you won't have to ask a stupid question like that. I'm talking about credibility to outsiders. Do we ever want anything that is said in here to reach a level where it will be discussed out in the open?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Wait. Is it a haunted spellchecker? Is the illuminati behind putting the spellchecker in place? Where's the conspiracy?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3
Getting annoyed or mad at other peoples grammar/spelling on the internet is abit much. If it's all Rdy, L8, N8, bi, Rly and the like I can understand. I notice when I'm writing something important(say work) i seem to pay attention but for talking to friends, family and internet forums i go in to informal mode.

I can't help but
at some people here who judge other peoples intelligence based on there grammar on a internet forum that discusses topics like reptiles and UFOs. The majority of people in the world would look down upon you or judge you odd if you talked about these subjects. Yet on that very forum we have people who look down and judge on grammar. It just seems rather pathetic to complain about the very common mistakes people make with the English language.

My standard reply to such threads.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Removed... not worth the effort..

OP you have grammer issues in your post as well.
edit on 7-11-2012 by knowledgedesired because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
you left out piqued!! lots of people spell it 'peaked' on ats, haven't you noticed?! (tongue in cheek, not to be taken seriously!)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by prostheticmind
You guys are generally very intelligent and you present thought provoking ideas on a fairly consistent basis. But seriously, you know there's a spell checker built into the post submission form, right? Do you realize that for some people who value language and the knowledge to use it effectively, your credibility is completely destroyed when you say something like: 'I'm just so dissapointed' or 'I think that's a good idea two!'?

It is not that hard.

there-denotes a place
they're-this means 'they are'
their-when you are talking about something which belongs to someone (that is their nuclear device)

to-this is the to you use most of the time
two-this is the number 2, nothing else.
too-this means 'also'. nothing else.

Aside from that, just pay attention to the spell checker. It tells you when you have spelled something wrong, so that you may fix it. Just try. Knowledge is its own reward.

I was taught to never start a sentence with "but".

Pladuim

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Pladuim

I was taught that as well, but I do it anyways. I also like to go against the wind and start a sentence with 'And'. Sometimes when I'm feeling rebellious I like to leave out apostrophes.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by lewman

the Queen's English usually suffices!
unless your at a tim horton's orderin' coffee at 6a.m.!!!!
then its open game!

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by violet
reply to post by Pladuim

I was taught that as well, but I do it anyways. I also like to go against the wind and start a sentence with 'And'. Sometimes when I'm feeling rebellious I like to leave out apostrophes.

Starting sentences with conjunctions is acceptable as long as you don't do it over and over throughout a piece, so you are actually going with the wind on that one.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
For what it's worth, my OP had nothing to do with grammar and sentence structure, but specifically with word usage and spelling.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

that's odd.
i do use firefox and i still get the red lines!
i just ignore the red!
it doen't matter much about grammar here anyway,as long is the idea is understood. no?
99% of members make grammatical errors anyway! (fancy word eh!!!
)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by reficul
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

that's odd.
i do use firefox and i still get the red lines!
i just ignore the red!
it doen't matter much about grammar here anyway,as long is the idea is understood. no?
99% of members make grammatical errors anyway! (fancy word eh!!!
)

Again, I dream of a future where the ideas presented on this forum will be taken seriously by the scientific community, and the educated populace in general.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I think you're being a bit harsh. There are many folks on here who don't use english as their first language, or who just have difficulty with the written word. You will get used to strange spellings/grammar, just relax a little and you'll get the hang of things.btw, will spellchecker advise you if a word is used incorrectly, but spelled correctly? e.g. the bow/bough of the tree is over there/their? just a thought.
muah x
edit on 7-11-2012 by tazdeill2 because: edited 'aren't english' to 'don't use english as their first language' Sorry if I offended anyone.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join