It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Milky Way’s Black Hole Shoots Out Brightest Flare Ever

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Funny that was such an amazing month in my life...
thanks for the post OP, cool stuff...strange days

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

The Milky Way’s Black Hole Shoots Out Brightest Flare Ever

Really?

How could YOU or anyone else POSSIBLY know this?
I am baffled.
EVER?!?!

How old is the Miky Way?
This is the biggest EVER?!?!
In Billions of years.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Although I am hesitant to quote an internet source titled "The Extinction Protocol: 2012 and beyond", in all fairness the text sourced from Universe Today does specify...

But back in February 2012, astronomers using the Chandra X-Ray Observatory detected the brightest flare ever observed from the central black hole, also known as Sagittarius A*

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

Ohh, Must have missed the key word "Observed" when I clicked on the thread.
Without that word, it seems to be a bit oversensationalized.

Anyone have any ideas on what implications this may have?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
never mind
edit on 11/7/12 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed

None whatsoever.
The actual scientific paper referred to in the third hand borrowed article from somewhere else, linked to in the opening post is here, as a pdf.

They say...

At the time of writing of this paper, 2012 April 1, there have been 39 Chandra observations of Sgr A∗ using its ACIS-I, totaling 1.2Msec

So 1.2 Megaseconds (a term I dont use often) is just under 14 days of observations.
So, they actually dont have a really big dataset of time to compare with.

Elsewhere they say about two dozen X-ray flares have been detected, so again, not a whole lot of flares to compare this "biggest one" with either.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Who cares. It happened 26,000 years ago...

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed

Ohh, Must have missed the key word "Observed" when I clicked on the thread.
Without that word, it seems to be a bit oversensationalized.

I am not familiar enough with the topic or the physics to have any idea what the implications may be either however this source (another Universe Today article) suggests the X-ray flares may be caused by asteroids being vaporized due to friction with the gasses surrounding Sagittarius A...

For the past several years, the Chandra telescope has detected X-ray flares occurring about once a day from the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. These flares last a few hours with brightness ranging from a few times to nearly one hundred times that of the black hole’s regular output.

What could be causing these unusual, mysterious flares? Scientists have determined that the black hole could be feasting hungrily on asteroids that come too close and vaporizing them, creating the flares.

Basically, the black hole is eating asteroids and then belching out X-ray gas.

The astronomers propose this scenario: An asteroid undergoes a close encounter with another object, such as a star or planet, and is thrown into an orbit headed towards Sgr A*.

If the asteroid passes within about 100 million miles of the black hole, roughly the distance between the Earth and the Sun, it would be torn into pieces by the tidal forces from the black hole.

These fragments then would be vaporized by friction as they pass through the hot, thin gas flowing onto Sgr A*, similar to a meteor heating up and glowing as it falls through Earth’s atmosphere.

A flare is produced and the remains of the asteroid are swallowed eventually by the black hole.

I thought this bit was interesting as well..

And of course, if a planet was consumed, it would create an even larger flare; and this may have occurred about a century ago when Sgr A* brightened by about a factor of a million.

Chandra and other X-ray missions have seen evidence of an X-ray “light echo” reflecting off nearby clouds, providing a measure of the brightness and timing of the flare.

Milky Way’s Supermassive Black Hole is Feasting on Asteroids

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   

reply to post by LordSkanda

reply to post by MystiqueAgent

reply to post by Screwed

Found this. Not sure if it has to do with this newest flare, but gives us a look deep inside the beasts lair...

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I am just happy that Earth and it's Sun are on an outer spiral arm of the Milky Way. The radiation levels are too high near the Galactic Core for their to be much chance for life on any Planet orbiting a Star that is among Billions so densely located in such a small amount of Space.

Taking a walk on one of these Planets would be like walking in a Giant Microwave Oven. Cooked though and through! Split Infinity

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Is it not more like A point in space with ultimate density. Growing larger, or smaller cause of the mass getting stacked up, until it can't be any more compressed.
With enough time and stuff to attract on a continuous feeding frenzy, a normal black hole might end up huge.

Without new matter it looses density though and seems to evaporate. It doesn't the singularity also needs energy to attract it's own mass or it will loose it all eventually.

Or is that way to simple.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Maybe the galaxy made an uber fart because the wife of beezeer is on this site now

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alternative4u

I have been a telescope user for many years, this year I have seen many things going on in space that seem to have changed, eg the Moon is not in the same area of the sky as it was in Oct 2011, they have gone towards the east, they were towards the west after 8pm UK time in Oct to March.
I have been seeing on the internet that people are seeing changes, I fear the Mayan people could see this was to happen in 2012.

theextinctionprotocol.wordpress. com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Unless you are a professional educated trained astronomer I would think its safe to question whether your claims are accurate. I cannot imagine something of this magnitude being out of place and not causing a media frenzy

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentE
Interesting stuff

I have nothing to contribute other than i'm glad there's a thread which doesn't involve the election rubbish.

I was starting to lose all hope for ATS.

s&f
edit on 7-11-2012 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

I just really wish the aliens, whether Pleiades or annunaki or Nordics would just show up already and make earth the utopia that it could be even today given all the wealth already on earth!!!!!!!!,

Seriously if they aliens a just taking such a long journey that it really takes this long then fine, but if there is any other reason hat they don't just show up and fix this god forsaken place then fuq you ET!!!!!

The aliens with knowledge technology and experience to fix humanity and earth to where everyone could own a home, explore the planet and never go hungry make me wish they so update stop wasting time already and just get here!!,!

Earth cand humanity cannot live like this much longer....

People don't realize we are ONE major natural disaster away from society and civilization literally collapsing!!!,

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by WolfDragon24

Originally posted by IntoxicatingMadness
Not really that crazy coming from a race of people that allowed Justin Bieber to be popular... I'm just saying
But seriously, # ain't right if the mother hole Pulled off a flare that large. So some # is going down

"cringe" i hear enough off him in the house

Plus its weird that a flare is comeing out as i was told black holes suck in everything as well as light so something really is going to happen, think its the Mayan calender stuff?

I thought the op made it clear that ti was an X-ray and not an alien shining a flash light from within the black hole !!!!!!!

HaHaHaHahaHaHaHa!!!!
LoL
ROtflmfao

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
It takes 25,920 years for one great year of the zodiac to complete

This is why the ancients used a 360 day calendar, not a 365.25 day calendar. They kept track, to the day, of when something happens from the center of the galaxy.
To me, this flare, is proof of some sort of alignment with the center of the galaxy.

The zodiac cycle of 25920 years is caused by Axial precession and is only an effect on the rotation axis of the earth.

In other words, it has nothing whatsoever to do with "the galaxy", has no association with it, is not caused by it, and has no effect on it.
You're assuming a randomness to existence which I have yet to find evidence for.

This same axial precession would occur even if the solar system was somehow transported to a different galaxy, or out the middle of nowhere where there is no galaxy at all.
Hypothetically... But existence is not a hypothesis. It IS.

The claim that it is proof of some sort of alignment with the center of the galaxy has no foundation to support it.
Corollary. It's a corollary. Out of the entire span of history for this burst to happen, it happens now, so near to the cusp of a great year boundary. I see design. You see dice.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Not really that crazy coming from a race of people that allowed Justin Bieber to be popular... I'm just saying
But seriously, # ain't right if the mother hole Pulled off a flare that large. So some # is going down

Plus its weird that a flare is comeing out as i was told black holes suck in everything as well as light so something really is going to happen, think its the Mayan calender stuff?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Alternative4u

I dont understand this. It says that this happened in February 2012. But it also says its 26,000 light years away.If x rays traveled at the speed of light it would take 26,000 years for us to see the light. Does that mean this happened 26,000 years ago or is there a way we are seeing in real time with telescopes..

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Beiber is huge because of "THE CHILDREN" so leave them be and let kids be kids..

What i dont get about this mayan calendar stuff is.. did they not have to stop writing it somewhere, if they did not would they not still be sitting writing it right now, because numbers are infinite right? (lots of rights write/rights in that sentence, apologies) so i feel they had to stop somewhere, anyone get where im coming from here?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by taccj9903

Brilliant, but if it happened 26k years ago then wouldn't it have just hit us if it was in our direction?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join