It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Milky Way’s Black Hole Shoots Out Brightest Flare Ever

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hijinx

Originally posted by IntoxicatingMadness
reply to post by WolfDragon24

Well being able to observe it without note of other planetary systems being destroyed. I think not.

Kind of hard to say, considering the Invisible light(x-rays) coming from this black hole took some 26,000 years to get here. Hell, a really significant event may have taken place today, and 26,000 years from now maybe some one will notice. Hell, 25,999 years and 24 hrs ago a massive explosion could have occurred dooming us all, but we won't be able to detect it for another 24 hrs. Do you see where I'm going with this?

Old News is kind of an understatement here. New to us, but still roughly 26,000 years ago or longer that it occurred.

Old news, but it will give us vital clues to the universe around. We can use such clues to map the past of our own section of space. Somewhere in this universe, there exists a place where it still receives the light of our own star being born. If benign contact with very distant ETs ever comes true, I'm sure they will appreciate it a lot when if we share with them details how their own star and planet were born. Remember everytime we raise our eyes and heads to look up at the stars, we see not just dots of light, but also the chronology of the dance of the stars in the stage we call our universe. ,
edit on 7-11-2012 by LordSkanda because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Alternative4u

Ah yes, black holes. The objects that are supposed to have such a strong gravitational pull that nothing can escape - except X-ray flares it seems.
And don't bother to retort with spinning disc and other daft ideas that astronomers have come up with to explain why the black hole does not behave as it is supposed to.

Just go and Google Electric Universe instead.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Well this news certainly got people coming out with some ideas as to when it happened, please do keep me informed in 26,000 years when it is seen again, what you mean we wont be here? I will,,,,,.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
first thing that came to me is its collapsing / reversing itself maybe, but maybe thats just with all the doom and gloom ahead some kind of preprogrammed response

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by pheniks

A "black hole" is the result of a collapse, it would have to expand to reverse ha ha.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I'm sure its just the byproduct of it cringing at the fact that we all have to suffer another 4 years with Obama in office

Even our galaxy is pissed
edit on 7-11-2012 by Rexamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

The flare, recorded 26,000 light years away, was 150 times brighter than the black hole’s normal luminosity

Thats some garbage disposal. Imagine being big enough to gobble a whole star like it was a marshmallow or something.
edit on 7-11-2012 by intrptr because: BBcode

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I remember seeing a theory about the center emitting some sort of energy that hits us in cycles on earth chaging life, like a kick to evolution to take a sudden jump. Maybe its possible and that we are about to be hit by rays released 26,000 years ago. Maybe we just have to find out what happened 26,000 to see if anything significant happened.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Does anyone else see a connections here??

The black hole of the center of the galaxy is 26,000 light years away....

It takes 25,920 years for one great year of the zodiac to complete

We go through 1 degree every 72 years, 30 degrees every 2160 years for a total of 360 degrees.

This is why the ancients used a 360 day calendar, not a 365.25 day calendar. They kept track, to the day, of when something happens from the center of the galaxy.

According to the mayan calendar, using a 360 day calendar, we are currently really in the year 2087, when adjusted with our calendar, we get 2012.

2012 may be the end of the 13 baktun, but its also the end of the age of pisces, which is 2160 years long, its also the end of a great year, which is 25,920 years long.....

To me, this flare, is proof of some sort of alignment with the center of the galaxy. The math is too much of a coincidence to ignore.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LordSkanda

Good stuff on the Hawking radiation. Kudos. But that's a fairly constant process (changing only with the mass of the black hole and thereby the area of the event horizon).

The X-ray bursts jet out from both poles. Which also means they aren't pointed at us.

Originally posted by PuterMan

Ah yes, black holes. The objects that are supposed to have such a strong gravitational pull that nothing can escape - except X-ray flares it seems.
And don't bother to retort with spinning disc and other daft ideas that astronomers have come up with to explain why the black hole does not behave as it is supposed to.

Sorry, Irish, that's exactly what I'm gonna retort with.
This happens whenever you have a lot of material falling toward a gravitational attractor like, for example, in star formation. The disc (and it's spin) are the result of conservation of angular momentum. As the material gets closer to the attractor it gets denser and heats up due to friction. Of course this makes it start to glow, or emit photons, which is what electromagnetic radiation is. As the energy levels go up (as the stuff gets hotter) the EM frequencies go from red to blue to ultraviolet and so on to X-rays. Due to the geometry of the whole system you wind up with polar jets. Which form outside the event horizon.

Also, "Sag A" is just a weak name. My wife named it Zod. Pass it on.

KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

edit on 11/7/2012 by Vitruvius because: clarification

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitruvius

Good stuff on the Hawking radiation. Kudos. But that's a fairly constant process (changing only with the mass of the black hole and thereby the area of the event horizon).

The X-ray bursts jet out from both poles. Which also means they aren't pointed at us.

Originally posted by PuterMan

Sorry, Irish, that's exactly what I'm gonna retort with.
This happens whenever you have a lot of material falling toward a gravitational attractor like, for example, in star formation. The disc (and it's spin) are the result of conservation of angular momentum. As the material gets closer to the attractor it gets denser and heats up due to friction. Of course this makes it start to glow, or emit photons, which is what electromagnetic radiation is. As the energy levels go up (as the stuff gets hotter) the EM frequencies go from red to blue to ultraviolet and so on to X-rays. Due to the geometry of the whole system you wind up with polar jets. Which form outside the event horizon.

Also, "Sag A" is just a weak name. My wife named it Zod. Pass it on.

KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

edit on 11/7/2012 by Vitruvius because: clarification

So you believe these jets are just release of stressed up aspects of Hawking's radiation. Thats what I myself think too.l I believe sometimes the rotation of the black hole mass releases this built up Hawking's radiation within it i.e. all the slow trapped minor virtual positive mass particles from the event horizon of that blackhole. These particles contribute to the evaporation of the blackhole. In this sense, Blackholes are finite afterall.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordSkanda

So you believe these jets are just release of stressed up aspects of Hawking's radiation. Thats what I myself think too.l I believe sometimes the rotation of the black hole mass releases this built up Hawking's radiation within it i.e. all the slow trapped minor virtual positive mass particles from the event horizon of that blackhole. These particles contribute to the evaporation of the blackhole. In this sense, Blackholes are finite afterall.

Well, not exactly. The center of the galaxy is a crowded place. Zod is constantly ripping stars to shreds and devouring them, so there's plenty of material to light the jets.

On the other hand, the Hawking radiation does contribute actual mass. That's one big event horizon, too, so one would think it's a lot of matter. It could very well be that accumulating Hawking radiation (bit of a misnomer now that we're looking at its material properties) could provide the tipping point that makes the jets flare about once a day. I certainly don't have another explanation for why the jets would pulse like that.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Huh interesting aren't the bigger they are the less "power" they are supposed to have technically? So now it makes me wonder on the jets and just how much material is in the horizon zone. Black Holes always a sense of mystery, awe, and dread with those things.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
It's about to get much more exciting in the Sagittarius A neighborhood....

A gas cloud that is careering towards the supermassive black hole at the centre of the Milky Way may be the visible trail of a planet-forming disk surrounding a young, low-mass star, astrophysicists propose...

...And it heightens expectations about what astronomers might learn as the cloud nears the galaxy’s biggest black hole — an event expected to cause a spectacular light show that could begin as early as next year. The model is published today in Nature Communications.

Gas cloud hurtling towards Milky Way's black hole may harbour young star

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot
It's about to get much more exciting in the Sagittarius A neighborhood....

A gas cloud that is careering towards the supermassive black hole at the centre of the Milky Way may be the visible trail of a planet-forming disk surrounding a young, low-mass star, astrophysicists propose...

...And it heightens expectations about what astronomers might learn as the cloud nears the galaxy’s biggest black hole — an event expected to cause a spectacular light show that could begin as early as next year. The model is published today in Nature Communications.

Gas cloud hurtling towards Milky Way's black hole may harbour young star

I wil have orgasms about this all through next year,

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

Oh nice can't wait to read and perhaps (?) see some pictures of it here.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Only information that i have seen to decode the functions by galactic centre/core/hole and the suns bursts, is from Jose Arguelles. Energy from core melds with energy from sun for evolutional processes for that solar system (planets). Source is Cosmic History Chronicles, books 2, 4 , 5 from memory, lsol

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Thats not what he said. As matter gets closer to the gravity well of the singularity in the black hole, it doesn't just fall in. It goes into an orbit. That orbit is slowly pulled to the equator or the "accretion disc". There it slowly decays towards the center. As it does it moves faster and faster heating up through all the "known spectrums" until finally it disappears with a bang. We just saw one. The bang didn't come from the interior of the gravity well, it came from whatever went into it just before it went "into it".

A too simple analogy would be throwing a log onto a fire bed of coals. Or another too simple one might be like this:

Remember I said its too simple. The point being that the lava isn't burning, its the garbage in the lava that is burning. The reaction is from the incineration of the garbage.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Good analogy Intrptr.

The gravitational and electromagnetic effects of a black hole aren't contained to just within the event horizon.

Black holes are very messy eaters.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Maybe they are looking for us too.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join