It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bomarzo: Grove of the Monsters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Mods, I had a hard time finding where to put this, so do your thing if necessary.

Greetings, ATS!

So I found this really interesting article about the Bomarzo Grove of the Monsters. Apparently, its an old garden filled with monster statuary. Personally, I'd love to go and explore this place, but since I can't I'll do the next best thing and share it with you.

According to this website, the Grove of the Monsters was built in the late 1500s.

The story starts with a young nobleman named Duke Pierfrancesco "Vicino" Orsini. Orsini was born around 1516 and married a noblewoman named Guilia Farnese in 1544. He worked as a military officer and diplomat until 1553 when he was captured in the same battle that killed his best friend. He was held for ransom for three years and then, shortly after his release, his beloved wife died. Depressed, Orsini retreated to his family's holdings near Bomarzo where he began to plan his strange, melancholy garden. What is known of the garden is mostly just what historians have found by visiting it. Orsini left no records telling what his intentions were in creating the peculiar grove filled with macabre statuary.

So here are some examples of the statues you would see in the Grove of the Monsters.

First up, a dragon fighting a lion and dogs.

The War Elephant

Battling Giants

The Mask of Madness (my personal favorite)

The Screaming Face

So, ATS....what do you think?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Very cool find!
Any idea where this is? I didn't really catch it while skimming the quote.
S&F!

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Holidakd

Sorry, Its in Bomarzo, Italy.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I love places like this, great find! Europe has some of the most amazing history and architecture.. I want to go before shtf

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I saw this park featured in an B&W old horror film, can't recall the name. It starred Christopher Lee and a young Donald Sutherland playing two parts.

Very cool park with an interesting history.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
So far, only the elephant is a real animal, but who knows down the road what we'll find, just a couple of days ago we met a new -as in never found complete before- species of whale...

There are more things under the sun that those dreamed in your philosophy Horatio…

Regards

Walter

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Orsini family place. The Orsini family is highly influential in Italian (and global) events since medieval times. Past Orsini's include at least 3 Popes.

Very interesting place, thanks for posting.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Immediately had to meme this one.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Nice find! Sure is a breath of fresh air with the political fiasco taking place everywhere. I have just added another place onto my bucket list.

Thanks.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Very fascinating and one I haven't heard of before. Thanks for sharing.

My impression is that there is a message and that message is: War is Hell.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

That would be "Castle of the Living Dead". I remember seeing the big scary face sculpture and getting quite unnerved!
OP...great thread. I love stuff like this.
S|F

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
How refreshing it is to see this post that has nothing to do with politics but everything to do with a fascinating location created long ago with mysterious origins. This is why I come here.

Those battling giants seem to deliver a message of tremendous power, creepy. Interesting place to explore.... I wonder what was his intention, was he insane or creating permanent record of something he experienced?

edit on 8-11-2012 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

SmyleeGrl, Thanx for a Totally Kool Article! As some have mentioned in their Responses to Your OP, This is a Great Diversion from the Normal Dismal Posts we see on a Daily Basis! Really Kool Stuff!
Ok Peeps, Use this Link ( www.unmuseum.org... ) as Provided by SmyleeGrl in her OP. It takes you to the site She mentioned in her Article. Down at the Bottom of that main Page, There's some Addy's for more to this Story. Under "A Partial Bibliography", This Addy here ( www.bomarzo.net... ) will take you Where You can See ALL 24 of the Features, Statues and Other Carvings at the Bomarzo Complex..... Very Interesting Stuff!
As Usual, Another Great Post SmyleeGrl!! Thanx, Later, Syx.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing op. Very interesting story to go along with the visuals.

I just wonder about the dragon motif. Very 2012.

top topics

join