It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Expanding Earth theory could mean increasing gravity?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
ah so thats what its called, expanding earth, yeh i kinda figured out myself seems like the earth is swelling up, as i call it
but imo if the earth grows, it should weaken our gravity until " the core" speeds up, but that would mean speeding up the earth.. but thats just my rambling

greets

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by UFCG2012AFHS

The Earth picks up a few tons of infalling matter every year but it isn't expanding at any noticeable rate. They have measured it over and over again.

It is futile to formulate theories when we have direct observational data that contradicts it.

To the OP, you cannot seriously think that advancing arthritis is evidence that the Earth is expanding? Good grief!

If you do believe this, then I have to inform you that the Earth is in orbit. If the Earth's gravity increased slightly, then the balance of forces keeping us in orbit would be broken and the Earth would fall into the Sun. The Earth has been in orbit here for about 5 billion years so I think that the orbit must be very stable and the Earth's gravity a constant (9.8 meters/second/second to be precise).

If the Earth's diameter was increasing, the angular momentum (rotation speed) would have to vastly reduce (like a ballerina doing pirouettes, when she pulls her arms in, she spins faster, when she moves her arms outward she spins slower) and we'd have evidence of much shorter days (like 2.5 hours long) in the past. We instead have evidence of approximately 24 hour days going back tens of thousands of years.

The Earth is neither expanding or increasing in gravity enough to be noticeable. To theorize otherwise is a stupid waste of time.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

This explains why I have been feeling heavier, sluggish and lethargic. Thank god I can go back to eating my double-double with extra large soda!

As to the theory, I have no clue.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Irrespective of whatver mechanism may be causing the earth to expand ie external material raining down or earth expansion theory you will experience a greater change in gravity by standing on top of a high mountain than you will ever experience from increase in gravity on the same spot on earth over many lifetimes !

As you get older everything starts to get worn........sorry.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

Originally posted by muzzleflash
However, as size increases significantly, there is a ratio that gravitational energy felt on the surface would slowly decrease as a result of getting further away from the center of gravity, the Earth core.

So although the amount of overall gravitational energy remains constant, the higher elevations of the expanding surface would cause Less gravity slowly.

So which is it.. gravity related to density or mass?

I don't believe we have any real clue how gravity works. I think scientists are remiss not to consider gravity as being related to electrical energy and magnetic fields. I think this is why mainstream science is missing the mark. In other words, nor mass or density is the final answer.
edit on 6-11-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

Scientists have a very clear understanding about gravity and it does NOT involve either electrical or magnetic forces.

Simply put, mass (not density) causes the structure of space-time to deform. Any object (even mass-less ones like photons) have their angular velocity changed as they attempt to follow the shortest path with all energies conserved (conservation of momentum), through space-time. This causes objects to curve around massive objects as they pass. This has been mathematically, experimentally and observationally proven to be the case.

Scientists only have an issue with the quantum explanation for certain relativistic effects of gravity being unexplained by the standard model.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jukiodone
We can do equations to explain some facets of Gravity but I'm yet to see an all encompassing one.

The equation highlighted above requires us to "believe" that Gravity is a force.

How can this be??
edit on 6-11-2012 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

You may not have looked hard enough, or perhaps you do not understand the formulae presented.

Space scientists, students and engineers have been using post-Newtonian formulae to calculate orbital mechanics for many years.

Gravity is the resultant of mass causing a deformation to space-time, and how this deformation affects the angular velocity of motion of objects. A change in angular velocity equates with an acceleration. Anything that applies acceleration to an object is defined as a force.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia
reply to post by muzzleflash

as size increases significantly, there is a ratio that gravitational energy felt on the surface would slowly decrease

No because the moon has significantly less Mass than the earth. its not a reasonable comparison.
But if you go further away from the center of gravity, gravitational acceleration decreases and therefore weight decreases. Mass remains constant.

Nuh-Uh... you ain't talking your way out of this one.

You explicitly stated that if the EARTH gained mass, that you would WEIGH LESS because you would be farther from the centre of the planet.

You dun goofed... and you are not getting away with it.

I think that you are inferring something different from what muzzleflash said.

He was talking about an increase of diameter with a static mass, which would indeed give a lower weight at the surface.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
This was an interesting thread and got me thinking a bit about gravity. It had everything.

Next week it'll be "Increasing cosmic rays and body to ground electrostatic conduction hinting at physiological function transmission..." I'll read happily and hopefully learn something.

Things I thought about:
1) Accretion from asteroids and reactions with things streaming from the sun
2) Planets can have different gravity density (saturn has a low density; would float on water)
3) Gravity is affected by distance and decreases as you're further from its center of mass
etc.

Interestingly, I see that sites say my weight on Saturn would be between 91% and 107% of my earth weight. Why the difference? I guess that's what you get with the internet. On jupiter I see that my weight would be 250%. Yet Saturn is some 74,000 miles across and earth is only about 7900. What this tells you is that the mass of a planet doesn't directly tell you what your weight will be until you know its density and your distance from its center of mass.

This site says I weigh about 106% on Saturn:
www.exploratorium.edu - Your Weight On Other Worlds...
edit on 6-11-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by rollsthepaul
Earth's size continues to grow and with it, so does it's gravity. There is plasma at Earth's centre that creates matter from energy. The more energy that reaches Earth's core from the Sun, the more Earth expands. At the time of the dinosaurs, a number of them were very tall, over 40 feet. They were able to get blood to their head brain because gravity was much lower on Earth at that time. Today the tallest land animal is the giraffe and it never exceeds 17 feet. An 18 foot giraffe would pass out and fall down due to gravity being too great for it's heart to overcome. This was not the case with say a Brontosaurus, even though it was over 40 feet high. The efficiency and head capacity of a heart, can only stand so much demand for lift and then it stops lifting the blood, at least to the highest elevated point. Scientists are well aware that the Earth is growing and studies have been done to assess the rate. Other celestial bodies also grow, like the planets and Moon. Aliens from big planets tend to be small to adjust to the high gravity. Beings can adjust because planet growth rate is slow. Tall dinosaurs could not exist on Earth today.

There cannot be a plasma at the center of the Earth. The pressure is too high, which would require the temperature to be greater than that at the surface of the Sun, to maintain a plasma (normally plasmas have a lower density than their gaseous phase, unless enormous energies are being input). There is also no source for the energies required to maintain a plasma at the center of the Earth.

Also, if the placement of the Brontosaurus heart was closer to the spine and they never extended their heads straight upwards (like the giraffe) then gravity (@ 9.8 m/S^2) would not cause any circulation problems. You also should realize that the physiology of the Brontosaur indicates a semi-aquatic creature rather than a dry land dweller.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
i agree with this theory!
and i have come up with my own! if the earth reaches a new mass does that mean we as humans should evolve to survive the new gravity? will we be taller,smaller, etc... what do ya think?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Good, now I can get my wife off my back. "See honey, I'm not gaining weight, its just increased gravity. Now leave me the hell alone."
edit on 6-11-2012 by IamAbeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
So in theory I am NOT getting fatter, my weight is just increasing due to a higher gravitational pull???

yeah, I like that theory./

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

I think that you are inferring something different from what muzzleflash said.

He was talking about an increase of diameter with a static mass, which would indeed give a lower weight at the surface.

We are still discussing this.....

(Second Line)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join