It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pittsburgh Zoo Tragedy--Painted Dogs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
www.post-gazette.com...

I’m going to write from memory; I don’t care for reading a lot of quoted text. I’ll link the article from today’s paper if you’d like to read further.

The Pittsburgh Zoo had never had a death before yesterday morning.

A woman was holding her son up on the four foot high railing that outlooks to the African Painted Dog exhibit. The baby fell, and was attacked and killed by the pack. While witness’s watched, this baby life was ripped from his body along with his tiny flesh.

I wasn't sure if I should post this, especially after reading internet peoples’ comments about the Mother.
All I keep thinking about in regards to the Mother is … How is she going to get through this? It’s easy to bash her. I feel so sick for that baby, and even his careless Mother. I’m sure she is probably losing her mind by now.
My heart goes out to them and the people who had to witness this.

My talking point of choice will be the immediate gut reaction quote from my husband
‘Why didn't she jump in after him? Lay over him and protect your head? I would have been in without a second thought” Knowing him for 18 years, I can vouch for his sincerity…He would of.

The PGH Zoo is closed indefinitely for the investigation. The painted dogs were in the news in 2009 because they dug a hole out to a different section of their enclosure. One of the dogs was shot and killed because it wouldn't let go. Another talking point would be them possibly putting more of the endangered dogs down.

Please try to be gentle with your opinions the parents are both hospitalized due to the graphically horrific tragedy they wittiness.
edit on 5-11-2012 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I'm not sure what you mean by being "gentle" with comments. I'm sure the parents feel awful. However, how do you let a two year fall eleven feet off a railing into a pack of wild dogs? I feel bad for the parents but I also feel bad for the people and the zoo who will now have to undergo lengthy investigation over what was most probably the stupid action of one patron.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I can't be gentle with a woman so stupid as to put a 2 year old up on a railing over a wild animal enclosure. Either she's completely lacking intelligence or it was a purposeful act. I've raised 4 kids myself so I know how parents should and should not act. My sympathies go out to the family but the mother I would looking at for possible charges of child endangerment.
Sorry they had to shoot one of the dogs and close the zoo.
Nobody else should have had to suffer for this woman's actions.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

I would think a normal person would jump over after their child, I mean these aren't exactly huge animals. The parents could've most likely saved the child. I would've lept over for my flesh and blood. Not like it's a tiger, a bear, a lion. sure they might've bit me but the risk would've been worth saving the child, wouldn't y'all agree?

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I can't be gentle with a woman so stupid as to put a 2 year old up on a railing over a wild animal enclosure. Either she's completely lacking intelligence or it was a purposeful act.

Call me what you will but I totally agree with the purposeful act.
edit on 5-11-2012 by Komonazmuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
People think they would know what to do in that situation but most people freeze adn go into shock during trauma.

I saw a perfect example of this a few years ago when my son slipped on the tile floor at the indoor playground at a McDonalds, cracking the back of his head.

It started bleeding like crazy, he was in hysterics, there was blood everywhere. (head wounds bleed a lot)

Every single parent just sat there and stared with their mouths hanging open while I was trying to stop the bleeding and calm my son down.

Even worse, their kids formed a pack around me, was battering me and my son with questions.

Good thing I am not one of the dumb sheeple, and I had to yell at the parents (twice) to get a manager and a first aid kit. I also had to yell at the parents to get their kids to back off.

Even the manager of the restaurant didn't really know what to do, I had to ask for a first aid kit again.

Anyone in EMS will tell you, the most people cause their own problems.

And not everyone responds like the hero they think they are.

I hope none of the children of those parents get into any real danger, if their parents are not capable of responding.
edit on 5-11-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I can't be gentle with a woman so stupid as to put a 2 year old up on a railing over a wild animal enclosure. Either she's completely lacking intelligence or it was a purposeful act. I've raised 4 kids myself so I know how parents should and should not act. My sympathies go out to the family but the mother I would looking at for possible charges of child endangerment.
Sorry they had to shoot one of the dogs and close the zoo.
Nobody else should have had to suffer for this woman's actions.

The thought of a purposeful act did cross my mind... briefly

My children and I were at that zoo this summer. We stood in the same place the baby dropped from, we were there for a while. There was a lot of art and information on the walls to enjoy. Plenty of times my youngest couldn't see anything and I had to pick her up. When I picked her up to see these dogs (and other animals) I put her up to the railing waist high.She's a long girl.

I don't think it's far fetched to say that, over the years there've probably been plenty of short 2year old's feet resting on that railing. I wouldn't do it, (I'm terrified of heights, and according to some unreasonable when it comes to monitoring my children and reacting to unforeseen possible accidents)but I can picture parents doing it when the child wants to look for a long time. I imagine the parent with one arm around the belly holding the kid tight, getting tired, and placing the kids feet there to support them and take some of the load off the parent.

I think it was an accident.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Why can't parents take their Children to the Zoo and let them look through the protective barriers?? The protective barriers are there for a reason and are designed to be as safe as possible while still allowing visual access. Why do parents think they have to show absolutely every little thing to a small Child.

The Child has their entire life in front of them - so they cannot see the painted dogs because they are little - when they have grown they can come back - they have the rest of their life to live....

I am not trying to derail this thread but I have to speak my mind. I cannot be gentle with anyone when in one part of the world a young girl has acid poured on her face, by her parent because she looked at a boy and in another part of the world a small Child couldn't see a zoo animal so the parent lifts them up and drops them into the enclosure. Accident or on purpose it doesn't matter because the Child is not coming back.

In both cases the parent was not thinking. I am a grown adult and have been to a Zoo and couldn't see the animal - I toughed it out by waiting or I moved on. The only reason we have Zoos is because we live in a world where everything in its natural state has to be controlled. The only thing there is no control on is humanity and its ability to live properly.

I am sad for every element of this story - an innocent Child is dead - an innocent Painted Dog is dead - a family has been plunged into a grief I cannot begin to understand - innocent witness's & Zoo Staff have to live with the memory of being unable to save the Child - the Zoo will be subjected to investigations - everyone suffers as a result of this heartbreaking tragedy.

Just think - if the mother had only suggested to her Child that they move on and look at some other animals, when you are bigger you can come back and have another look. Why do people live their lives like there will never be another chance and live like a small Child has to see everything right now??

I am sad for everyone and every animal in this story. Rest still Little One you and the Painted Dog are both at peace. Guide, in Spirit those that are left behind.

Much Peace...

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Yay.

Wildlife : 1
Humans: 0

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

Amanda let me first say I agree with mostly everything you said, and I really enjoyed reading it.

I do, however, have a question for you. Do you have children? I'm guessing not. 2-3 year olds get broken hearted enough.....no candy, no yelling, no running, time for bed, mommy has to go to work now....

It's sometimes hard to deny them something a simple as a lift, especially in a fun setting that you chose to take her to like the zoo.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt
Yay.

Wildlife : 1
Humans: 0

There's a dead painted dog too if you're keeping score.
Yay? A dead 2 year old elicits a "Yay" from you?!
Please tell this was an offhand remark that you really don't mean.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Oh, the outrage for the human. There's 7 billion more, you know.

Reference: Link
edit on 11/5/2012 by PrplHrt because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

Those thoughts crossed my mind but still - in our society - do Children need to have every single demand met??

No I do not have Children and chose not to have Children. Have had Children feature in my life and have had them in my care and believe me - the Children of other people in your care is a huge responsibility. On an excursion I am always relieved to be able to bring them home the same way they were entrusted to me.

If the reality we are discussing via this thread were about a Child in the care of another person - that would bring another dimension of horror to this heartwrenching story.

This reality that entails the death of a small Child and an innocent animal is not about a tired parent. The point I will underline again - it is about a distinct lack of thinking. This reality could be described as a tragic accident - how can it be an accident when there are barriers and signs ...do I need to continue?

Protecting Children is about thinking. When you enter a property that contains wild animals people need to adhere to all the safety mechanisms in place. The parent who was holding the Child will live with this for the rest of her life and I wish her comfort I really do.

Much Peace...

edit on 5-11-2012 by Amanda5 because: Spelling

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

I believe you do.

Thank you for answering my question and expanding on your thought process, it's a very valid one.

eta

it is about a distinct lack of thinking.

This is it. You are right. So many time we hear things that happen to kids (on a much smaller scale) and say"What were they thinking?' And in this case, and in many others; she was void of thinking. I'm with mine, like you are with others, ALWAYS vigilant.

I don't often send my young children off to other peoples homes for babysitting. Last month I had a good friend watch my 3 year old for 2 hours. I went upstairs and made sure her windows were shut and locked, they were...She might of been offended, but i didn;t care.
edit on 5-11-2012 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I live in the PGH area, and as I type this, a news report on this very incident is being shown on the television in this room. When I heard this, I felt no sympathy for the mother, as I was filled with rage. "How could someone be so blatantly stupid?" "Why did she set her baby on that railing?", and similar questions filled my mind. Throughout the day today, however, my thoughts turned from rage to sympathy (or as close as I can get to sympathy for someone I don't know). I can't imagine what that family is going through.

I imagine that a few years down the road, her husband's love for her will turn to hate as he may grow to blame her for the death of his son. I hope that this isn't the outcome, but it is a likely scenario.

Sorry, that was morbid.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

UGH your poor kid!! bright side, FREE BIGMACS for life!!!!
NOT

YES you are right I know a lot of us freeze.

My 12 y/o son was walking out the door of his friends house. He was walking beside the kid's Mom.
They were looking at each other, talking, when out from under some near by bushes come a German Sheppard.

She said 'She was frozen'. One second everything was fine the next my son was being dragged away from her by the back of his arm. She did nothing, and admitted it. The dog owners happened to be putting out their trash at that moment, and saved my son. They had that dog put to sleep that night.

Lots of people are saying they would of jumped in...I wonder how many actually would of.

top topics

join