It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hospitals to use ZOO equipment to scan fat Brits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
It seems that obesity has come to the point hospitals are not able to make decent diagnoses when dealing fat people. Its very disturbing that hospitals have contacted Zoos to assistance.
Is it good or bad for self-esteem and recovery of obesity ?

The Sun

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

I know I may sound a bit insensitive, but if you let yourself get to the point where they have to bring in zoo equipment to weigh you or do medical tests on you it's time to start pushing away from the table!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I'm not so sure about that The Sun is not trustworthy
edit on 2-11-2012 by Jauk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

The obesity epidemic has a lot of different driving factors work being less physical, sedentary lifestyles, driving, and the baffling "fat acceptance" movement which seeks to portray obesity as a lifestyle choice, rather than a medical disorder. It take eight tonnes of grain to produce one tonne of beef, so therefore for every ounce of useful protein you consume you are also consuming eight ounces of carbohydrate which sits in your system, and turns to sugars that are then stored as body fat. These figures (no pun intended) also apply to other grain fed livestock, and farmed fish.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

I knew it,fat people eat like pigs.So to get that extra 20 stones they are carrying they need to eat 160 stones.
That's a hell of a lot of eating.
Perhaps the zoo equipment is quite apt.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376
reply to post by hotel1

I knew it,fat people eat like pigs.So to get that extra 20 stones they are carrying they need to eat 160 stones.
That's a hell of a lot of eating.
Perhaps the zoo equipment is quite apt.

Interesting observation Glenn I had'nt thought of that. There is a growing (again no pun intended) movement toward the paleolithic/pre-agrarian diet which means only eating pasture fed livestock, line caught fish, fruit, veg, and nuts. I am considering trying it out a by-product is increased strength, and for men raised testosterone levels. I wonder if its possible to discuss this subject without throwing out puns.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
It may sound highly insensitive but it doesn't take zoo equipment to work out someone needs to lose weight. If they went on a diet maybe the underlying health issues requiring a scan would disappear?

CX

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The docs should prescribe exercise and hand out gym referrals instead of pills.

Oh wait....theres no money in that.

CX.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I can't understand FAT people, i mean, if you need 2 seats, you need help.

I can't believe they can keep eating fast food and fat products after seeing themselves.

I feel greasy after eating 5-6 slices of pizza....

I think its just a vicious cycle, depression > food > depression because of food. Repeat.

I know there is some disease that cause accumulation of excess fat around breast area and belly area, but thats very low and its not extreme.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I know some people (Very, few, and far between) can't help it, and it's due to a medical condition but the majority of them are that busy stuffing their fat faces, that they don't care where they get their medical treatment from.

The thing that's makes me sick is Fat women think they look ever so nice in their Lycra shorts?, and their big fat belly overhanging when in reality they look like the Bloaters that they are.

I saw one immensely fat slag the other day on the market with her belly hanging out, she mowed down her little kid, and knocked him Arse over tit because she didn't see him for her fat gut, and she wasn't pregnant either, it was just FAT. I mean people can't condone that can they?.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
apparently this has happenrd before, belive it or not, in America of all places ...

When 407-pound Jennifer Walters kept complaining of acute back and leg pain, her doctor made an unorthodox referral for a diagnostic scan: Go to the zoo.

Aware that the New York City woman was too large to squeeze into an MR scanner, the physician reasoned that if the nearby Bronx Zoo could image hippopotami, elephants, rhinos, and other large animals, surely it could accommodate her.

Outraged, Walters complained to the New York Post, whose editors promptly turned her private humiliation into a public joke that circled the globe. One media source spoke for the insensitivity of many when it ran the headline: "Fat Lady Sent to Zoo for MRI."

All of which raises the inevitable question: How does one image a 5,000-pound elephant? While the obvious answer is "very carefully,"

preview.tinyurl.com...
edit on 2-11-2012 by tinhattribunal because: i had to find a way to get 'tiny url' to work

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferryman

You description of fat birds made me cringe!
Can't get those damn images out of my head now.
I'm surprised we haven't been called fattyphobes yet,I've been called every other kind of phobe on here.
I have a strict " sorry I don't do fat birds policy"

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinhattribunal

All of which raises the inevitable question: How does one image a 5,000-pound elephant? While the obvious answer is "very carefully,"

That's a Doozy

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376
reply to post by Ferryman

You description of fat birds made me cringe!
Can't get those damn images out of my head now.
I'm surprised we haven't been called fattyphobes yet,I've been called every other kind of phobe on here.
I have a strict " sorry I don't do fat birds policy"

Curvy used to be term for shapely women but now if a woman describes herself as curvy, bubbly, voluptuous, or awesome read fat.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

We are talking way more than a 12 stone curvy chick.
Fat is definitely the word,hell they were probably 12 stone at birth.(think of a hippo in leg ins)

top topics

join