It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Animals that talk to humans.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Ok, originally a thread about talking elephants, but I just found the old topic.

Old topic
www.abovetopsecret.com...

So now the thread is about animals talking to humans. Evolutionarily possible in the future?

ScienceDaily (Nov. 1, 2012) — An Asian elephant named Koshik can imitate human speech, speaking words in Korean that can be readily understood by those who know the language. The elephant accomplishes this in a most unusual way: he vocalizes with his trunk in his mouth.

Article.
www.sciencedaily.com...

Some limited Audio.
www.eurekalert.org...

edit on 1-11-2012 by ubeenhad because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-11-2012 by ubeenhad because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Maybe he can help us translate Gangnam Style?

Seriously, what's up with South Korea these days?
Seems like they got a new PR person over there.

edit on 1-11-2012 by tvtexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tvtexan

I dunno...but the party in me loves it!

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I like this talking dog- I think this is the kind of conversation you'd end up with, with most dogs!

I got the real one

More seriously... What about the gorillas they have trained to communicate really well, like Coco, I think her name is?
Some real fascinating work , that would be a blast to study!
edit on 1-11-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I think animals can communicate by gesturing and might even try to talk. I used to have a very vocal cat. She would say " no" it was more like nooooo, but not the same as her long meows. She would also sound like she was saying " mine". If I was about to sit on a chair, she would jump on it saying " mine". Another cat I had liked sitting on heat vents and would go over to the thermostat and nod his head at it to get me to turn it on. He also appeared to be able to see in colour, because his bag of cat food was yellow and every time i took out a yellow bag of flour, he would meow for it. I couldnt figure out what it was with the bags of flour until i thought perhaps its the yellow? Everybody loved him because he came to you when called.

None of my cats are normal. One I have now uses the toilet. I was kidding around with him and said " if you need to pee when I'm sleeping and you can't get outside or to litter box , use this toilet like I do" the next morning I got up and he had used my toilet. He still does this if he can't get outside when I keep him in all night. He won't use a fresh clean litter box that's provided.

Even if they can't talk back, they still learn our language. I talk to my cats. I figure its just like babies who can't talk but still understand you. So I keep talking and naming things. After awhile they learn.
edit on 1-11-2012 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Right! Coco! That chimp's alright! High five.

ETA I also have a talking dog. Can't understand a word. She sounds like the Hamburglar.

"Robble robble robble..."
edit on 1-11-2012 by Urantia1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

My brother also has a cat that started using the toilet without anyone having shown him how or train him to.
That is pretty amazing! You probably communicated psychicallywith your cat !

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ubeenhad

wasn't it mother shipton that forecast that animals would speak .

i know that there are many that say the mother shipton verses where written long after her death
but who really knows maybe she was the real thing .

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Cats just figure out that the pot is the human litter box.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Cats actually have a native language. It consists of two phrases uttered with varying degrees of intensity. The first is "Everything here belongs to me" and the second is "Hurry up and feed me will you". They measure OUR level of intelligence by how long it takes us to learn THEIR language.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Maybe it was part telepathic. I did specifically tell him, but didn't show him how. I wish he would flush though.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by violet
reply to post by Bluesma

Maybe it was part telepathic. I did specifically tell him, but didn't show him how. I wish he would flush though.

Maybe not, I once saw a cat video on the httpL://www.icanhascheeseburger.com site showing a cat standing by the toilet and flushing one time after another. The guy couldn't figure out why his water bill skyrocketed until he set up a video camera and caught the little bugger in the act while he was at work.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ubeenhad

Hahaaaaa!! I have had a few dogs in my day that could talk, One could say, "Mamma," and "hamburger," plain as day. I think they understand far more than we give them credit for.

This one takes the cake though...I just love this:

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
What about the beluga whale that liked to immitate the Air Force song? "Up we go into the wild blue yonder...."
New research reveals human-like speaking ability in beluga whale

What about parrots like the late Alex? Bird brain is a complement, not an insult. We can't hear what they're saying because they think and speek so much faster than we do. We need to record their speech and play it back at maybe one eighth speed just to hear what they are saying.

We already have hand held spoken language translators, capable of facilitating conversation between humans who speak any of a dozen or so languages. I expect, in a decade or so, we'll add several species of animal lanugages to those translators. We'll have to get used to long strings of curse words telling us how much the animals hate what we've done to their environment.

new topics

top topics

join