It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's really bad here in NY CT and NJ!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
We were lucky to get our power back on this morning and suffered no damage! But my God it is bad...a friend of mine in the town next door to Trumbull, in Easton a Vol. Firefighter like myself lost his life when responding to a alarm when a tree fell on his truck and killed him.

It's tuff to find food and gas. I am not gonna post any links, you just have to look at the news.
My Prayers go out to all that are suffering cause of the storm.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

Hang in there man and take care of yourself, we are all pulling for you guys and help from around the nation and the world is en route!

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
My dad still has no power and they ate last of their food. Be safe up there and good luck.
edit on 1-11-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

+43 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
If anybody on here lives in Fairfield county needs food a hot shower or a place to crash , Contact me my home is open to all! I will keep my eye on this tread for anybody in need. Or e-mail me.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Sorry about your friend. At least he died helping others, if that offers any solace. You seem like a great person to offer up your home and your help. Good luck up there!

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
My neighborhood in NJ looks like a warzone I had over 4 telephone poles down and 3 trees on my block alone. A neighbor and I chopped up a tree with a handsaw and by breaking limbs because the city said it was too big of a job and they wanted to improve numbers elsewhere. So he took the copper from downed power lines as consolation lol. I said go right ahead and threw all my leaves and broken branches on the pile.
Day four no heat no power but at least the water heater is gas and I have a stovetop that is gas but no oven as that part is electrical. They wouldn't even come remove down power lines on my lawn and driveway so we tested those and jerry-rigged it so cars could get through and go to work or get supplies. Gas is either gone or you wait in line for ages. I should have bought that generator. Oh well

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I seen that on the news, sorry for your loss.
We got really lucky here, little to no damage in Waterbury.
Other places here in CT are still shut down, no power and trees everywhere.
It seems like every night I'm giving directions to NYSEG trucks helping out from New York, so hang in there people.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrStyx
My neighborhood in NJ looks like a warzone I had over 4 telephone poles down and 3 trees on my block alone. A neighbor and I chopped up a tree with a handsaw and by breaking limbs because the city said it was too big of a job and they wanted to improve numbers elsewhere. So he took the copper from downed power lines as consolation lol. I said go right ahead and threw all my leaves and broken branches on the pile.
Day four no heat no power but at least the water heater is gas and I have a stovetop that is gas but no oven as that part is electrical. They wouldn't even come remove down power lines on my lawn and driveway so we tested those and jerry-rigged it so cars could get through and go to work or get supplies. Gas is either gone or you wait in line for ages. I should have bought that generator. Oh well

Wow! You are the kind of guy I would want living on my block. This is the kind of take-charge-get-the-job-done mentality of an independent thinker. Be careful. Test for safety. Then get started doing what needs to be done with what you have.

Government cannot do it all in a day or two. Government is like a huge wheel that takes a lot to get turning. Thank God for men (and women) like you and others that have offered their assistance. My prayers are with you all.

edit on 1-11-2012 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Maybe the Red Cross will come down a nearby street with their vehicle providing meals in those styrofoam
containers. They did her in Florida. Also here after a hurricane, there was a place set up..think it was
a Salvation Army location where folks could get ice and meals ready to eat ( these meals are kind of high
is sodium I think and not necessarily good for folks like me with high blood pressure..crackers etc might
be okay. ) Be careful of any trees whose roots have been waterlogged as they might come down later
in a mild wind gust or storm. After a storm here it can be hot and I mean hot and humid..know the
misery of high temps and low temps as well. Many folks around here have barbacue grills..either plain
or fancy. During Hurricane Ivan her a friend staying in a relatives house said fire ran down the wires on
the power lines..he was never so scared..It was a catagory 4 storm I think.Don't let anybody use a grill
inside, the fumes will kill you ..literally..did an Alabama man I think the story goes few years back. Years
ago there was a hurricane that skirted us..it was supposed to be a cat 5 but downgraded and turned some
before striking..we left town..creeped our way down the road toward east coast Jacksonville..Saw power
line down..boy chasing his dog down the road..jackknifed horse? trailer and debri sailing thru the air..thought
it was ash..WRONG..tornado. If that "cane" had hit us while we were on the freeway..I shutter to think.
One time I used the powdered MRE coffee put it in a bottled water and set it in the sun..sun coffee..
better than nothing I tell you...played cards by candlelight..candles are ok under adult supervision and
where there are no gas leaks. We did not have gas.Battery powered lamps would be my choice if I could
get some before a storm. People can't or won't prepare. They have a new kind of generator now operated by
car battery but I can't afford any generator. Imagine somebody trying to swipe your car battery..just a
thought. Do not let kids wander around trees being moved..one fell on and killed a boy in a town not
far away after a hurricane while they were cleaning up the yard..man, so sad..sadder than sad these
losses and so shocking you don't have time to grieve all the losses at once. Seems like they restore
electricity to areas near hospitals/town first then outward..This was true after an ice storm I saw in
NC years back. Folks who depended upon electric well pumps had no service for week I think. Being
a "hero" is fine if you have the right stuff but relative of family had a heart attack and died ..he had pushed
himself to the limit thinking he'd help Katrina victims...little sleep, driving a lot. I don't know all the details.
I pitied the national guard troops who stood out there in the heat directing traffic after a hurricane while
dressed in their long sleeved uniforms. Guys who pick up logs and such laid beside the road probably
have a hay day with all that wood chip or firewood material they gather after hurricanes here.

May God bless you all.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Holy Crap we have National Guard on my street!

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by nighthawk1954

Better hide your guns.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

That's a good sign. You may get MRE's and ice like they gave out here in New Orleans after Issac. For Katrina every citizen got 4000 dollars to help out. These things are needed to help sustain rebuild and give hope. Take whatever they offer you. Stay safe, don't take chances and know the world is praying for you.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Well they say you should have a few weeks worth of food and water prepped. Maybe even a few months if possible. I think it would be helpful in situations like this.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofswords

Wow! You are the kind of guy I would want living on my block. This is the kind of take-charge-get-the-job-done mentality of an independent thinker. Be careful. Test for safety. Then get started doing what needs to be done with what you have.

Government cannot do it all in a day or two. Government is like a huge wheel that takes a lot to get turning. Thank God for men (and women) like you and others that have offered their assistance. My prayers are with you all.

Actually I wouldn't want this theiving kind anywhere near my neighborhood. Hope the stolen wire sets his electricty coming back on a few weeks. In fact I would reccomend the electric companies fix any neighborhoods with stolen wire very last. Then the actual good neighbors would take matters in their own hands.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
How can this be?

Obama visited the region in a timely manner.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical

Originally posted by queenofswords

Actually I wouldn't want this theiving kind anywhere near my neighborhood. Hope the stolen wire sets his electricty coming back on a few weeks. In fact I would reccomend the electric companies fix any neighborhoods with stolen wire very last. Then the actual good neighbors would take matters in their own hands.

LOL...Of course you're right about stealing the copper. I was mainly referring to his clearing of debris and getting the dangerous lines out of the way after testing for safety. I certainly wasn't advocating theft of city property.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.
This storm has caused so much devestation.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

And...

Thing is the media reports and pictures of whats going on are amazing enough, but I've noticed they are not covering any looting, police or guard actions. Since Katrina, they pretty much have kept the storm and its after effects rated "G". I mean the MSM everyone...

So we don't get the complete picture. Anything you say here about it is the most revealing information I have had all day. Thanks for putting it up.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I was wondering the same thing as I was reading over the news. I had commented to my husband the huge difference between hurricane katrina and Sandy. Katrina showed the ugliness of U.S citizens and the ineptitude of our federal government vs Sandy and the strength of U.S citizens in a time of great devastation and the glory of our federal government to respond. My first assumption was that Katrina was used to perpetuate the fear of black americans as a criminal class and of course to characterize Bush as both a moron and a racist. Now Sandy displays the civility of east coasters and the strength of the federal gov to get things done in order to demonstrate the power of Obama to unite and save the country. Am I totally off base? maybe; but, I do believe I hit on some truths here. The media spin is creating a fantasy for the populace to attach to the current president, which will only serve to enhance his fake legacy and growing cult of personality. With that said this tragedy has been beyond belief the devastation is shocking.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
those of you saying that people should have prepped for this seem to be forgetting that alot of people in nyc live in apartments (which are fairly tiny) so stocking up on a month of non perishable food would be almost impossible for most people since space is limited

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join