It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mig-25 vs SR-71

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Angrykirill
C) Missiles will take the SR-71 out, no matter if its ground or plane radar guided... Its like a defence net

If this is true, how come Russia HAS tried and FAILED to shoot down the Blackbird many times.

In fact, Russia has a 100% failure rate in taking down the Blackbird.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
"The SR-71 is the fastest and highest flying production aircraft in the world. The only aircraft that is faster is the X-15 that can reach a speed of over 4,000 mph. The only aircraft ever to come close to the SR-71's speed besides the X-15 is the Russian MiG-25 Foxbat. The MiG-25 could only reach speeds of over Mach 3 for a few minutes. The Anglo-French Concorde is the only aircraft besides the SR-71 that can fly at supersonic speeds for hours at a time."

I acutally posted this so I would't get warned. The thing I wanted to post was:

AMM, TO? I hate him! I hate Philly they knocked my taem out of the Playoffs. Vikings baby!

Even though we traded Moss, Philly is dead meat next year!

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Fact #2: The Blackbird uses first generation stealth

The weapon engagement envelopes are smaller so the Mig needs to be close by to engage the Blackbird

First gen stealth is faceted surfaces ala F-117, the SR-71 had stealthy elements but it wasn't developed as a stealth plane, it was harder to detect since it flew at high altitudes.

Yes the F-16 can take 9g's substained, but little pilots can take it substained if at all...

I think the main reason the SR-71 never got shot down is due to the fact it flew so high, the missiles had to travel upward thus not at their optimum speed and burning too much fuel trying to break the gravity.

I definitly think that with modern technology, the SR-71 will be shot down and I also think that it is over-rated, I don't think it COULD reach mach 4 on it's own engine power alone, I think it will have to go in a nearly vertical dive to achieve such speeds, and that at high altitude.

Just_a_Pilot, what unit are you in? what do you fly? what is your clearence? I ask this because i'd like to know for sure if you are an insider.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laxpla
"The SR-71 is the fastest and highest flying production aircraft in the world. The only aircraft that is faster is the X-15 that can reach a speed of over 4,000 mph. The only aircraft ever to come close to the SR-71's speed besides the X-15 is the Russian MiG-25 Foxbat. The MiG-25 could only reach speeds of over Mach 3 for a few minutes. The Anglo-French Concorde is the only aircraft besides the SR-71 that can fly at supersonic speeds for hours at a time."

I acutally posted this so I would't get warned. The thing I wanted to post was:

AMM, TO? I hate him! I hate Philly they knocked my taem out of the Playoffs. Vikings baby!

Even though we traded Moss, Philly is dead meat next year!

I agree that the SR-71 is fast

now on to the important subject:

TO is better then Moss! Moss is a bitch - complain complain complain!

The Viqueens have nothing on the Birds!!!

Fly Eagles fly - on the road to victory!!!!!!
E-A-G-L-E-S, EAGLES!!!!

You can watch them play in detroit next Superbowl!!!

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Forever and always, SR-71 is untouchable. Since it's out of service it will always be that way. Mig-25 Mach 3+ with an armament of super heavy long range missles....hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Maybe Mach 2.8 clean at altitude. Do you really think a Blackbird would give the Mig time to accelerate, detect, then engage, then actually launch a missle? Hahahahahaha, the SR-71 could tilt one degree and throw the Mig off a few hundred of miles, while flying at over Mach 3. Even if the Mig launched, Mach 4 or 4.5 won't catch up to Mach 3 in the given amount of time, and any change of course from the Blackbird would waste enough of the missle's fuel to spoof it. Just face it....the Blackbird was the most revolutionary plane of it's time and hasn't been matched in the speed arena since, and the Mig-25/31 is a low-tech piece of turd in comparison. Russian SAMs may do the trick without a doubt, but no manned fighter can F with the Blackbird.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
the sr71 is faster than the mig25, yes, but the foxbat dont need to be so faster, again vector plataform speed + missile speed = sr71 in flames, that "foxbat isnt faster" argument is like say that an f18 cannot down an mig29

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by grunt2
the sr71 is faster than the mig25, yes, but the foxbat dont need to be so faster, again vector plataform speed + missile speed = sr71 in flames, that "foxbat isnt faster" argument is like say that an f18 cannot down an mig29

If this is so how come they never got one. Not a single one?

The US flew over Russia all the time in the SR-71. And not a single solitary hit?

Come on dude, get real. Even IF the mig got close to the Blackbird to fired it's missle (which it wouldn't), all the blackbird would have to do is turn 2 or 3 degrees in any direction, and it would avoid the missle.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I heard in the past they made an air-launched S-300 missile, that will definitly take out a Blackbird...but the SR-71 will never fly again so it will never happen.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Mad man, what you think, that the missile is not maneuverable, also the mig25 has better supersonic maneuverability, get real dude

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Mad man, what you think, that the missile is not maneuverable, also the mig25 has better supersonic maneuverability, get real dude

Why don't you answere the question Grunt? I'll say it again:

If the Mig 25 has such a good chance of taking out a blackbird, HOW COME IN LITTERALLY HUNDREDS OF FLIGHTS OVER THE USSR WAS IT NEVER ONCE TOUCHED?

It's a simple question. You have a lot of faith in the Mig-25, but yet it has NEVER shot down.

The SR-71 has been fired on THOUSANDS of times. Yet the world combine, consisting MOSTLY of Russia has a ZERO percent intercept ratio.

Again, it is not a matter of how manueverable the missle is, it is the speed at which everything happens.

The SR-71 would go full throttle if a missle were shot at it. That means Mach 3.2+. The missle it's self is going around Mach 4. At that rate, the closing speed isn't what it would normaly be if fired on a normal aircraft. Every time the SR-71 makes the slightest turn, it puts it MILES off course every second.

It's a matter of the missle constantly having to adjust to a target that is simply too fast.

Sure, it could happen - anything is possable. And I could also maraculously have my knee repaired and go play pro football.

Face it Grunt, it is just so highly improbable that it is vertually impossable.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
ahhhh, even an A12 was reached by an sam2 in the vietnam war, the flights over the ussr were canceled after the u2 incident, but were incidents in which the sr71 got in to the border lines -by few moments-, but not much into the ussr, the main mission was china.

the true missile speed is M4.5, the relative total speed is between M6-M7.5

the maneuvres at +M3 -if you have the structure- are almost impossible, you lost too much energy (even in minor movement and specialy with the sr71 huge delta), and you final speed and heigh are very,very affected (to M2-2.5), now imagine that you have an plane behind with much better supersonic maneuverability and 2-4 missiles, your dead, the best that you can do to keep that speed is to fly in straight line, like everybody knows.

[edit on 15-3-2005 by grunt2]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   

ahhhh, even an A12 was reached by an sam2 in the vietnam war,

Got a link? I would like to see this because I have never heard of it.

the flights over the ussr were canceled after the u2 incident, but were incidents in which the sr71 got in to the border lines -by few moments-, but not much into the ussr, the main mission was china.

So says you. The U-2 missions over Russia were stopped after it was shot down. The SR-71 however is a different story. I have heard a lot of talk from people who would know that the Blackbird did in fact fly over Russia.

the true missile speed is M4.5, the relative total speed is between M6-M7.5

The missle travels at Mach 4.5 for the vast majority of it's flight, not Mach 6.

the maneuvres at +M3 -if you have the structure- are almost impossible, you lost too much energy (even in minor movement and specialy with the sr71 huge delta), and you final speed and heigh are very,very affected (to M2-2.5), now imagine that you have an plane behind with much better supersonic maneuverability and 2-4 missiles, your dead, the best that you can do to keep that speed is to fly in straight line, like everybody knows.

Well I have read accounts from pilots who actually flew the SR-71 that said they would just make slight turns and that was all that was needed - but I am sure you know better Grunt, after all what do they know? They Only flew the aircraft that has never been shot down. You clearly know better then they.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
man i have read sooo many books included about aircraft and aerodesign that right now i dont remember where i read the a12 incident, but you can ask for another guy, anyway i have an link, its american propagandist, but it say an incident with an sa2 that expolted only an mile behind the sr71, as you know the blackbird flights are very well studied and organizated, so an old sam that reach an merely mile describes that the plane is overated;

www.wvi.com...

"Landing was uneventful at Kadena. The Terrain tracking camera recorded the SA-2's launches and later evaluation revealed the nearest missile exploded about one mile behind and away from #976. "

man the missile speed is the true speed. again if you launch that form an X=Vo>0, the total speed is T=X+missile speed, look, an sea sparrow reach M4 from the ground.

you cant sustain max speed specialy height (and specialy from such heigh and speed and with that design!!!!!) with maneuvres, hell none plane can do that, .......ahhh yes only the blackbird
...nice propaganda, the sr71 have the max speed record, but in that time i think that the mig25 had the max climb record, is obvius that the 25 can climb better, so if the blackbird lose energy in a maneuvre the thinks go better for the 25.

please dont start with that "sr71 over ussr", because it didnt happened.

your friends of your friends of your friends etc.... could tell you anything in cold war times (or even in this times),but please start to reading an physics book

[edit on 15-3-2005 by grunt2]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I have to wonder about the legitimacy of the 'thousands of hostile firings' against the SR-71. Watching a program on the Military channel, they featured an interview with an experienced SR-71 pilot who recalled flying recon over Israel during the six days war. He stated that because it was a covert fly-over that the Israeli's didn't know about, there was some hesitation because they would probably fired upon. Sure enough, when almost out-bound, the pilot detected multiple launches. He said that despite his altitude and speed, he was very worried about getting shot down, and popped the throttle to the point where 'he was sure that he was setting a new record and afraid the wings were going to fall off'. He concluded by saying that this was the only time he'd been fired upon.

Now this may be purely anecdotal, but it hardly seems to be the expected reaction of a seasoned pilot who supposedly should be used to attempted hostile intercepts. Maybe these thousands of firings are more cold war folklore than the norm?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
The A-12 Oxcart was the forerunner of the SR-71Blackbird. It was operated by the 1129th SAS (CIA) from Groom Lake .It deployed to Vietnam Under the code name Black Shield. It was a single seater , could fly faster and higher than the SR-71. Mach 3.5+ and 90,000 feet.
Note that SR-71's never flew from Groom Lake, over Russia or China intentionally in a planned mission.

Checkout this web site, web site run by the people actually involved with the A-12 Program. Great bunch of guys, will be meeting up with them again in October

www.roadrunnersinternationale.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Try this, without the smiley attached.

www.roadrunnersinternationale.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. The A-12 was never produced. The Mig-25 was a direct result of the Valkarie. The SR-71 was made by the Skunk Works AT Groom because the 'A-12' was not suitable as an interceptor. Renamed the SR it today still holds the flat out f-ing speed record on a closed course. Retired by the Congress it was brought back into action in the Gulf War. Three SR-71's still fly today with Air Combat Command, unknown is how many fly with the CIA and not to mention "NASA". It is pure speed. It leaks like a sieve on the ground to allow for the foot of expansion during flight. Kelly Johnson knew his stuff.

Why on ATS is Groom Lake so touted?????????? WHO really gives a rats rear end what goes on there? If you really knew............ you might not want to. Give it up.

The MIG-25 is a piece of #.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Wrong wrong
13 A-12's Built and flown by the CIA
3 YF-12 (Fighters) built and flown - never enteed service.
2 M-21/D-21 . Modified A-12 ,2 seat and carried the D-21 Drone on its back. Bulit and flown.

32 SR-71's built and flown but not from Groom Lake.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I'd like to back up ajsr on this point. The A-12 was operated by the CIA, there is a chapter dedicated to these ops in the book 'Aerial Espionage' which was published in the 1980's!

The fighter version which did not reach production was indeed the YF-12.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Thanks Wayno.

My last post on the subject.

A-12 Oxcart - max speed Mach 3.6 max height 92,000 feet - Achived.
SR-71 Blackbird max speed Mach3.4 max height 85,000 feet - Achived.

Mach 4 , 100,000 Never.

A-12 Built at the Skunk Works at Burbank and transported by road to Area 51 for Flight testing.

SR-71 Built the Skunk Works Burbank and tested at Site 2 Palmdale And the AFTTC at Edwards AFB.

Mig 25 built to counteract the B-70 YES.

Mig 25 hold the absolute height record- Zoom climb.Clean Configuration.
SR-71 Holds the Substained Height record 85,000
SR-71's used in either of the Gulf wars - No
SR-71's flying now with NASA, ACC - NO - All in Musuems.

I will tell the pilots the missions that they flew over Vietnam in a A-12 were a figment of their imagination. They must have been flying a two seater with the RSO stuck in the Q bay.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join