It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY Post Liberal Columnist calls Romney a good man and maybe a GREAT man because of his charitable gi

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
www.nypost.com...

In the column linked above, John Podhoretz, New York Post columnist, evaluated Gov. Romney's charitable giving and without bias calls it for what it is - truly generous.

This is instructive because the opposing side is labeling Romney as a selfish fat-cat and the truth does not seem to support that coloring.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Missing Blue Sky

Liberal???

Podhoretz served as speechwriter to former U.S. President Ronald Reagan as well as former President George H.W. Bush. He also served in the capacity of special assistant to White House Drug Czar William Bennett. He was co-founder as well of the White House Writers Group, a corporate speechwriting and public-relations firm in Washington, D.C. Podhoretz was a consultant for the popular television series The West Wing, including the controversial episode "Gaza" in season five, first broadcast May 12, 2004. on, D.C.
Podhoretz has contributed to a number of publications, including National Review and the Weekly Standard, where he is a movie critic and was the magazine's deputy editor. He was also a consulting editor at ReganBooks, a former imprint of HarperCollins. Podhoretz has a regular column at the New York Post. He has also appeared on television as a political commentator, on Fox News, CNN's Reliable Sources, and The McLaughlin Group (in the chair usually occupied by conservative Tony Blankley), among other places. He has also worked at Time, the Washington Times, Insight on the News, and U.S. News & World Report. Podhoretz was a contributor to The Corner, a group blog run by National Review.

Source

He's a tow the line Republican. Of course he's going to support Romney.

~Heff
edit on 10/31/12 by Hefficide because: bb tag

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Well I'm not surprised that Romney is charitable. But truly he has given away tons of money, even if the basis for his charity (politics, power, etc) are not truly good or not. And as someone else said as a comment

"Romney is generous with his money. Obama is generous with YOUR money"

But yeah you are right Hef. Though I can't find anything about him saying which candidate he is going to vote for or has voted for. Reading his WIKI and a bunch of articles he wrote. He definitely supports Republicans.
edit on 31-10-2012 by Svipdagr because: added

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Unless Romney gives 10% of his income to the Church of Latter Day Saints, he cannot get into heaven and live with the eternal Father, the father of all of us. Unless you are a faithful member in good standing that obtains eternal marriage, under goes the endowment ceremony, and continues to follow all the precepts including the word of wisdom and tithing, then God, the Father of us all, does not have to grant Romney admission into the Celestial Kingdom, the highest heaven where you get to be with the Father. All the rest of non Mormons or Mormons who do not get eternally married to a member of the opposite sex, get endowments in the sacred temple, and do all they need to do (no masturbation, no homosexuality, no coffee, no tea, no alcohol, no illicit drugs, pay 10% of your income, etc) will not make into the highest level of heaven and become a God like our creator. Christians who are non Mormon end up with Jesus Christ for eternity, but not with the Father and cannot dwell in the Father's kingdom and have an infinite number spirit babies with your eternal hetero mate.

Thus, his contributions have to be made for the sake of admission into this highest heaven, the Celestial Kingdom.

Golden - ex Mormon
edit on 31-10-2012 by GoldenVoyager because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by GoldenVoyager

It's called Tithe and its not even close to how much he gives away to other charities.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Tax Deductable.

Next.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
lmao....you really believe that?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Svipdagr

Any extra he gives would be commendable, no doubt, but the tithe is required. At the end of the year, a Mormon bishop will call you into his office to make a formal declaration as to whether you have given your 10% to the church.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
missing blue sky is missing his brain...not the blue sky

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
At this point I believe Romney could donate a kidney to a stranger and some of you would call it a photo op.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
Tax Deductable.

Next.

My thoughts exactly, and I brought it up in another thread on the same topic.

Not only was it a tax deduction...he won't get any academy awards for that show, either!

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Completely Agree with You. But it's not like its anything special. A lot of churches...not just Mormon require a Tithe. When my dad was really catholic we paid a tithe to the church to. It is tax deductible too. But He gives more to charity than the tithe alone. And of course he will receive tax deductions.

I'm not 100% about this but I think his church does give money to BYU, his alma mater, which even though is a private institution, with mormon afflication, the school itself does give away tons of money. Two of my friends went to BYU at no cost other than living cost. Though mormons may be a little crazy, they are extremely nice lol.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Opening paragraph:

Romney the giver
The big news from tax returns

By JOHN PODHORETZ
Last Updated: 12:35 AM, September 22, 2012
Posted: 11:23 PM, September 21, 2012

headshot
John Podhoretz

We learned yesterday that last year Mitt Romney paid $1.9 million in taxes on an income of $14 million — and gave $4 million to charity.

The year before, he made $21.6 million, paid $3 million in taxes and gave $3 million to charity.

So, to recap: Mitt Romney has, in the past two years, paid almost $5 million in taxes while giving away $7 million. And, as he said, he has paid the taxes he was supposed to pay according to the laws of the United States, which is all that is required — legally, morally and practically — of anyone.

If you’ve been reading my columns for the past couple of years, you know I’m perfectly capable of being critical of Romney. I did so the other day, and radio host Mark Levin called me a “trash-mouther” who was “giving aid and comfort to Obama.”
With open arms: Mitt Romney has given $7 million to charity the last two years, while paying $5 million in taxes.
AP
With open arms: Mitt Romney has given $7 million to charity the last two years, while paying $5 million in taxes.

But the release of these tax records leaves no doubt about one thing: Mitt Romney is an extraordinarily, remarkably, astonishingly generous man. A good man. Maybe even a great man.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Svipdagr

Completely Agree with You. But it's not like its anything special. A lot of churches...not just Mormon require a Tithe. When my dad was really catholic we paid a tithe to the church to. It is tax deductible too. But He gives more to charity than the tithe alone. And of course he will receive tax deductions.

I'm not 100% about this but I think his church does give money to BYU, his alma mater, which even though is a private institution, with mormon afflication, the school itself does give away tons of money. Two of my friends went to BYU at no cost other than living cost. Though mormons may be a little crazy, they are extremely nice lol.

Correction - The Catholic Church does NOT require tithes as does the Morman cult...........anyway, Romney's charitableness extends well beyond his gifts to the Mormons alone.............
edit on 31-10-2012 by Vitruvian because: txt

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Svipdagr

Yes they can be nice and are generally good people. I lived in Logan, Utah (Northern Utah) for 3 years during grad school.

You are correct that most Christian affliations have a 10% Tithe, it is just that every single week during the 3 hour church session one part of it seemed to always talk about how God blesses you when you Tithe and believe me, the Tithe is not optional. If you do not give it, you cannot get a temple recommend to go into the temple and get married or have your endowments taken, both required to get into heaven with the creator.

No knock against any Mormons but personally I was so opressed in my mind trying to do everything with perfection that I drove myself crazy. I was not rich enough to get into heaven and I was a young man 23-25 and had basic urges that kept me from being worthy. I was extremely unhappy until the day I gave my resignation to the Church and requested they remove my name from the records. There is more to the religion than "Mormons are good people."

No offense given to anyone... we are all in this together.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

The New York Post and the Columnist are ultra Conservative.

How you got the idea to put "Liberal" in the title is confusing.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
hefficide...you beat me to it....
en.wikipedia.org...

the republicans can't open their mouths without lying ...he wrote speeches for republican presidents and is a frequent commentator on FOX NEWS....i wish the moderators would just delete such obvious lies...
how about this post title " REPUBLICANS RESPONSIBLE FOR THOUSANDS OF MURDERS IN THE U.S.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Problem you have with this argument is that Romney's tax accountant has verified that he did not take the full benefit of his charitable contributions. He gave $4 million to charities but only claimed $2.25 million of those contributions as deductions.

$1.75 million in charitable contributions and you don't declare the deduction you are afforded kind of knocks the knees out from under smart-alec comments...at least by about 44%.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Liberal columnist?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Well the writer is a moron. The Mormon church is not known for helping outsiders.. their charities mostly seem to favor their members and their communities. It's not like say, the Catholic Church, or Baptist organizations where you will see food kitchens, homeless shelters, hospitals etc. Mormons horde their cash.

Who does Romney give to? 80%+ on average goes to the Mormon church.

IMO that's not "charity" .. it's supporting one organization that will not necessarily help others in need. It'd be like me claiming my donations to my lodge as charity (which I technically could, but don't, because frankly it's not charity). But if I gave to an organization that truly dispersed the money, like one of our programs, that's entirely different. But the records would reflect this. Romney's records are very, very clear. He gives to the Church and that's that.. not organizations run by the church .. just to the church. If you can call a Mormon temple a church, I don't know.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join