It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uneducated poor people are killing this country

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Today as I was driving home from class, as usual I was listening to a talk show on the radio. The hosts of the show receive an email from a woman that goes something like this:

“Hello I am a single mother of four and the power in my apartment has been shut off recently. I am asking for donations or anything that will help my family through these tough times.”

She signed the email with her name, we’ll just call her “B” for now, and left her address at the bottom. After the first host read this email on the air, B called in and talked to the two hosts. As they talk to and question her about normal things (where are you from? Where is the father of your kids/why doesn’t he help you out? Etc..) she gives up some interesting information. She has four children with three different men; none of these men pay child support for whatever reason. She lives on welfare and food stamps and has no job so she can take care of her children. As the hosts dissect her story further, the story becomes more and more shady. One of the hosts offers her a few space heaters he doesn’t use so she can heat her home; she declines because she doesn’t feel safe using them around her small children. She then states she’s specifically asking for money. This leads to me speculating that she’s a drug addict just trying to get a hand out for a quick fix. I do judge people too quickly so I continue listening to the “interview” and brush my speculation aside for a while.

So far we have this woman, B, who:
• Is asking for money to take care of her kids
• Has four kids with three different men
• None of the men pay child support
• Declines donations of items

As the “interview” progresses she reveals some more interesting information. The hosts ask if she has a current boyfriend who can help her out. She answers yes but he isn’t working because he does odd jobs like construction and fix it jobs and the weather hasn’t really allowed him much work. She then states that he doesn’t like children so her children have been living with relatives for a while. Now this seems even shadier especially since she was asking for money to help her children. The hosts go on to question her about her previous children and why she didn’t use contraception. She claims it’s too expensive. I am cracking up at this point because for some reason she believes condoms are more expensive than children.

The story progresses further and she reveals that she first got pregnant when she was sixteen (she told the hosts she’s now twenty-four.) The hosts ask her what her parents thought of this, and B replies “they didn’t really care; my parents felt I was old enough to make my own decisions.” Obviously her parents failed to teach much about life.

Let’s take a minute to recap, she:
• Is asking for money to take care of her kids
• Has four kids with three different men
• None of the men pay child support
• Declines donations of items
• Her current boyfriend is out of work
o Also he doesn’t like children
• Her children are living with relatives
• Claims contraception is too expensive to use
• First became pregnant at sixteen

The hosts question her further, asking her things about what she owns. She tells them that she has an iPhone and cable complete with all the channels, but her power and cable have been shut off due to her lack of paying bills. She can’t pay her bills because she doesn’t have a job and relies on welfare and food stamps to feed her, her children, and her boyfriend.

The interview pretty much ends here because the hosts are running short on time left in their show. Before she ends the call she asks again for anyone listening, and the hosts, to donate money to her.

It’s people like this that irritate me to no end. If you are trying to care for a family and you rely on the taxpayers to feed you, why would you spend what money you have on things like an iPhone and premium cable? I know those things are nice but I would much rather have warmth and food if I had to choose between the two.

This is my first thread so I hope it makes sense and was easy to follow
-Holiday

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Holidakd

Some people have no shame.Sounds like it's the 'brass neck of the junkie'.
Give people like that nothing.
Saying that someone must fall for it or they wouldn't bother.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I feel your pain. It's not much different where I live (UK). I see it on a daily basis.

You can instantly tell when a person wants a child or whether they see a child as a means of getting money/welfare. You can see it by how they treat them and every time I see it I am so effing thank full that I had a relatively normal upbringing.

I don't really pretend to know what can be done about people like that. Arguably it's too late for some of them because they don't know any better and have been bought up without morals. How do you change someone and make them take responsibility when they have never had to?

Some people just make me shake my head... BTW I've heard the 'Contraception is expensive' before and that in a country that pretty much hands them out for FREE anywhere...

EPIC-SIGH

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I think your wrong. You're using one small situation to define a group of people. That's stereotyping. Most of the uneducated poor that I've met are actually the most decent, normal, honest, innocent, low stress, spiritual, loving, non ego, happy people I've come across.

Once people start to get education and money that's where the problems start. Look at TPTB they want to kill off most of the world, in essence they've lost all sense of innocence and have become psychopaths.

Jesus said that to enter heaven we must become like little children. To some degree he's saying that's the idea stat to live in. And kids are generally uneducated and poor, but there also the most happy and have the most fun out of anyone in society!

Instead we have it backward where we think money and success will somehow make us happy or solve all our problems. When infact they only further enslave us. TPTB would love people to think it's the uneducated poor people are killing this country when infact it's TPTB and MSM!

They're the ones who ship all the jobs overseas, who poison us, who raise our taxes and add more taxes, who create more and more laws and fine and fees and anything they possible can to steal from us, who rob us of ur sons and daughters and ship them off to war to be sacrificed to satan, who lie to us 24/7 on CNN and other BS media, who brainwash us, trick us, get us into debt etc etc... and I could obviously go on and on. There's the problem

edit on 31-10-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Interesting story. Now...if I were to judge her situation...that isn't very empathetic...its not my place to judge anyone since I haven't been in their shoes...However...its also not my place to enable them and its not my place to take care of them...

I think people feel judgmental of others because were too entwined socially because of crap like taxes and welfare...

edit on 31-10-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I agree that this woman seems like she could be taking advantage of the system and preying on the kindness of others. I also agree that there are people that do this.

I do not agree that "uneducated poor people are killing this country." I think that's a pretty blanket statement and it's kind of insulting.

More so, this country can't continue the way it's going for long and so a change is going to be forced but to say that the problems our country is having is due to the "uneducated poor" is a cop out. By saying that you are simplifying a complex problem.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Yep, leeches. They're everywhere. I see those parasites every day. I'm a single father, I work full time, got trouble making ends meet but I manage through bill juggling. I'm pretty sure lots of you know what that is. Went to the food bank a couple of times...that was hard. Ego thing I guess. But those people...
And I pay for that!

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
People like the woman you describe tend to be uneducated, yet we have a presidential candidate that wants to cut education. Studies consistently show that educated people make more money, have less children, and instead of taking from the system contribute to it.

It seems most who complain about the poor lean toward "conservative" values, listen to "conservative" radio and news, and support a candidate who would increase defense spending while cutting education and medical spending. I wonder how these people reconcile this contradiction in their minds.

I'm not sure that you are one of these people, but based the OP I would bet you are.

I'm not saying what this woman is doing is right, either; only that the " conservative" agenda put forth by the neo- conservative right only serves to make more and more of these people.

Sometimes you get the feeling that the ultimate goal of neo-conservatives is to create a country full of poor, stupid people who's only choice is to join the armed forces.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
People like the woman you describe tend to be uneducated, yet we have a presidential candidate that wants to cut education. Studies consistently show that educated people make more money, have less children, and instead of taking from the system contribute to it.

It seems most who complain about the poor lean toward "conservative" values, listen to "conservative" radio and news, and support a candidate who would increase defense spending while cutting education and medical spending. I wonder how these people reconcile this contradiction in their minds.

I'm not sure that you are one of these people, but based the OP I would bet you are.

I'm not saying what this woman is doing is right, either; only that the " conservative" agenda put forth by the neo- conservative right only serves to make more and more of these people.

Sometimes you get the feeling that the ultimate goal of neo-conservatives is to create a country full of poor, stupid people who's only choice is to join the armed forces.

I am glad there are good people like Tinkerhouse in the world.

I agree with everyting you said.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R

Yep, leeches. They're everywhere. I see those parasites every day. I'm a single father, I work full time, got trouble making ends meet but I manage through bill juggling. I'm pretty sure lots of you know what that is. Went to the food bank a couple of times...that was hard. Ego thing I guess. But those people...
And I pay for that!

Actually, if you're a single father with low income, as it sounds, you get a huge benefit every tax season, and can use your situation to get a free college education and better the lives of yourself and your child/children. All thanks to the system you hate.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Yeah... using the mod box to reply means that a subject has inspired my emotions. I'll do my best to not come across too passionate on the issue.

Yes, there are some poor people who abuse the system. This is a fact. I grew up in extreme poverty, the child of a working single mother who was denied all public assistance because she made just a few dollars over the legal limit for receiving such benefits. We went hungry often. We had nothing. Meanwhile we did have neighbors who were worse off than us, many of them on public assistance.

And a few who fit the stereotype of welfare abusers. They, however, were the exception and not the rule.

The title of this thread says "uneducated poor". That, to me, is a misnomer. I have spent much of my adult life working with the mentally ill ( A category I fall into myself ) and have seen the vast majority of those people struggling with poverty. Even those who receive benefits only receive enough to lead a meager life. Almost all of the people I have known, in this pursuit, have either had college degrees or a record of military service. These were not slouches. I know... I know... We all hear stories about people on welfare living in mansions and driving brand new, high end SUV's. In my experience the people I have encountered who match this descriptive were not getting rich from public assistance - they were criminals. They were drug dealers, prostitutes, etc.

And when the got busted? They lost their benefits. Plain and simple. I don't know the law off hand, but a drug conviction, for example, bars that person from receiving public assistance for I believe two years - the first time - and ten years the second.

As far as the woman on the radio show you discuss. It doesn't strike me as legitimate for a few reasons. First off, if she were receiving benefits, she said three distinct things that could lead to her benefits being revoked and which could merit prosecution for fraud. First, that her kids were no longer living with her, second that her boyfriend was, and third that she was asking for donations so publicly ( she would have to report them as income if she did receive any - and, due to the nature of the venue, surely there was a chance that she would draw attention to herself ).

This leads me to several thoughts:

The entire call and premise could have been propaganda or an attempt at satire.
The caller was lying about her situation entirely in an attempt to commit fraud.
The caller was severely mentally ill and, therefore, easily tricked or confused.

Those are just a few possibilities that spring to mind.

If this woman was being honest and forthright? Then she needs to be prosecuted. Having said that, society, at large, needs to understand that she is the exception and not the rule. Most people who receive benefits of any kind have to jump through hoops just to get it and barely get enough to scratch by on. It is no life of Riley.

~Heff

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

"In the English merchant service. Cabin-boy at twelve, ship's boy at fourteen, ordinary seaman at sixteen, able seaman at seventeen, and cock of the fo'c'sle, infinite ambition and infinite loneliness, receiving neither help nor sympathy, I did it all for myself -- navigation, mathematics, science, literature, and what not. And of what use has it been? Master and owner of a ship at the top of my life, as you say, when I am beginning to diminish and die. Paltry, isn't it? And when the sun was up I was scorched, and because I had no root withered away."

"But history tells of slaves who rose to the purple," I chided.

"And history tells of opportunities that came to the slaves who rose to the purple," he answered grimly. "No man makes opportunity. All the great men ever did was to know it when it came to them. The Corsican knew. I have dreamed as greatly as the Corsican. I should have known the opportunity, but it never came. The thorns sprung up and choked me. And, Hump, I can tell you that you know more about me than any living man, except my own brother."

classiclit.about.com...

Somehow I get the impression that this poor girl wasny planted in the most furtile soil.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I actually had the same gut feeling - that this caller was an actor and the story contrived to serve the agenda of the show and it's target audience. I kept it quiet because it was just a hunch...but if this is the case it's par for the course.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
No evidence of her being poor or uneducated. She could just be a con-artist trying to steel money... That is what it sounds like to me. Who knows, maybe she doesn't even have any kids.

Like someone said above me, some people have no shame.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
No....Educated,Super wealthy Bankers and corp. CEO's are killing this country,the proof is as they say in the pudding.So take your attacks against the poor and turn them inward against your Elite owners.As for the manipulating women your referring to...come on man this country was founded upon the very same evil manipulative misleading tripe...and ya know it's true

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I'm sorry maybe my title was a little too general. I had a hard time coming up with a title and just kind of went withe the first thing that came to mind.
The underlying thing I'm trying to convey in my OP is the fact that people who are in an economical bind and choose to spend their money on "wants" instead of "needs"
It is a conservative radio show and I do tend to lean toward the conservative side but I don't want to bring politics into this.
Maybe my title should have been "carelessness is killing this country" because this woman did act very careless.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Lets just be thankful none of us are the Father to any of her numerous progeny! Or are we??? Come on whos the Daddy? Own up! LoL

I will add that if i had the cash and she needed it for her kids then i would give it to her! Its only money!
edit on 31-10-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Good first thread. Too bad you didn't manage to get the audio...I'm sure I would either be laughing my butt off while simultaneously throwing things.

This person is a sign of the entitlement society that is growing before our very eyes.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Tink, I usually like your posts,

But much the same can be said about the other side of the aisle.

Education should be up to the parents of the child, not the state.

And if the parents don't educate, well then, the mean streets of life will do it for them.

We see it every day.

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
How does this story relate to uneducated poor people? Your ignorance runs deeper than scholastic didactics.

The alleged addiction/psychological/emotional issues that this woman faces are in diminutive proportions to her education or personal wealth. Your approach to this woman's apparent “self-made” plight does however speak volumes toward your willing nescience. Keeping going to school. It won't help you much. The attunement your thinking needs can't be found through erudition. The same way that her moral dilemmas will not be solved with learning or money.

P.S. I am uneducated and spent more than a decade below the poverty line. I would invite you to elucidate on how I was (am) killing this country.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join