It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why's Japan highest Life Expectancy while USA lowest and American lifespan continues falling?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Genetics?

Diet?

Lifestyle?

Pollution?

All of the above? And or what else? Why are some 25 other countries higher in lifespan than USA if we're such a healthy model for life freedom, democracy, medicine, heath and all that?

And why is it getting only worse, if we are progressing as a nation and as a people?

www.forbes.com...
Falling Life Expectancy In the United States

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Stress

Working is unnatural. Consumerism is unnatural. Combine the two = jealousy, greed, lost sleep, unnecessary competition, segregation, hate, etc etc.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Most Americans are fat, eat a horrendous diet, are over stressed and do not exercise. Add to that their preoccupation with flu shots, vaccines and pharmaceuticals and you have a recipe for an early death.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Because those countries care about there citizens and want them to be intelligent and healthy, opposed to dumb and obese.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Diet - check

Lifestyle - check

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I thought Norway was promoted to the country with the highest life expectancy...

And it's a combination of Diet and Genetics. Trust me, Japanese workers have far more stress than average blue-collar or white-collar worker here in the US
edit on 30-10-2012 by mr10k because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Wow, so our American government actually DOESN'T want its own citizens to be in optimal physical and mental health & fitness?

Why is that? Wouldn't wellness increase efficiency and ultimately, GDP?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
correlate life expectancy and national IQ scores in google search and came across this en.wikipedia.org... , basically covering everything your wondering

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by minnow

So what does the government have to to with that? Do they force the people to eat unhealty und to be lazy couch potatoes. At the end of the day you have to decide what you eat. Most of the food they sell in american grocery stores is poison, but tastes damn good!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by minnow
Wow, so our American government actually DOESN'T want its own citizens to be in optimal physical and mental health & fitness?

Why is that? Wouldn't wellness increase efficiency and ultimately, GDP?

The government gets exactly what they seek in these regards, if they want an intelligent, healthy society they would get it, if they want mindless, unhealthy folks they will get it.
edit on 30-10-2012 by Mystic Vibes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by hesse
reply to post by minnow

So what does the government have to to with that? Do they force the people to eat unhealty und to be lazy couch potatoes. At the end of the day you have to decide what you eat. Most of the food they sell in american grocery stores is poison, but tastes damn good!

The government could make it a priority to have the best schools in the world which would raise intelligence levels so that they wouldnt be stupid enough to get unhealthy in the first place. So I would say obesity is rather a side effect of low IQ

Also your talking about a government who raids organic farms and puts them out of business so the only alternative is pesticide rich Genetically Modified foods, what does tell you, atleast at the end of the day you decide what to eat only what they allow to be put on the shelf. 9 times out of ten they would choose profit over anything else
edit on 30-10-2012 by Mystic Vibes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by minnow

Well, I think the changes to heath care which Obama's administration has been trying to implement are a start to addressing part of the problem - that of inconsistent access to high quality healthcare. Politics aside, there is a recognition that US heath care is good - and bad, and that it is not universally accessible.

This is a complex subject and the way life expectancy is calculated is key are highly dependent on infant mortality. In the US there are problems with:

- Public health
- Poor and inconsistent mental health services (in the US the solution seems to lock people up)
- Poor universal access to health care for a significant minority of the population
- Higher infant mortality
- Diet (the US is a pretty obese nation)
- Probably not statistically significant, but the number of people who reach an untimely end – homicide rate is high compared to most other developed nations

Regards

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Mystic Vibes

OK I get it.. Sounds pretty bad, I would move to canada or somethin..

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Its because radiation is good for you.
I heard some lady on some show with some statistic on some website say it, so it must be true.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mystic Vibes
correlate life expectancy and national IQ scores in google search and came across this en.wikipedia.org... , basically covering everything your wondering

Yikes! that is controversial stuff.. and worth analysis.

I often think about the film "Idiocracy" ... for those who haven't seen it, it is a comedy, which starts with the premise that evolution is taking a U-turn and de-volving in the US. The most intelligent people stop procreating so much (with concerns about world over population, the low quality of education, etc.) and lowest IQ's of the country reproduce like rabbits.

In this film, a guy ends up going to the future (due to a cryogenics experiment carried out by the military) and wakes up in America's future, where everyone is a total moron. They are so stupid that they make dumb chocies that put their survival in danger- like a big soda- sweet energy drink company takes over so much of the market it comes out of the public drinking fountains... and is used in the water systems for crops!

This of course makes the crops all die out, and nobody is bright enough to figure out why......

The whole thing shows various ways the low IQ becomes a threat to their survival.

It was silly, corny... but since I saw it, I find my mind wander back to it at times.... wondering if there isn't a kernel of truth to it.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Americans spend twice as much as residents of other developed countries on healthcare, but get lower quality, less efficiency and have the least equitable system, according to a report released on Wednesday. The United States ranked last when compared to six other countries -- Britain, Canada, Germany, Netherlands, Australia and New Zealand, the Commonwealth Fund report found. "As an American it just bothers me that with all of our know-how, all of our wealth, that we are not assuring that people who need healthcare can get it," Commonwealth Fund president Karen Davis told reporters in a telephone briefing.
www.reuters.com...

Universal health care makes all the difference. I've seen what happens when hospitals deny care due to lack of insurance and I've seen insurance companies cut people off. Not pretty but it sure is the way of life in the States. sigh
edit on 30-10-2012 by NiteNGale2 because: url

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I think the difference is in all the small differences if you get what I mean

I went to Amsterdam not long ago and DAMN EVERYONE JOGS!

I kid you not, you go to any park in Amsterdam and there seem to be more people jogging/hardcore cycling than people walking and enjoying themselves!

It's all about lifestyle and diet. I've changed both of those in the last few months myself and lost over 10kg with ease.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Americans have been using tactics against their own people to kill them off to make money.

For example the dirty places gathering body parts from the dead to be used on the living aren't being forced to clean up their act and stop using contaminated body tissue.....not testing them for bacteria...viruses..disease....mold growing on them.

Also clinical trials for safety no longer done. FDA adopted Bayesian Statistics....approve everything to create money and jobs.....worry about the fallout of the large numbers of people dying later.

Obama's given 8 million foreigners new US citizenship to replace the dead. There always will be desperate ignorant people to bring in to replace the dead.

They're making money killing off Americans. They recently set up 4 computer database nerve centers funded by all Federal Agencies. They're looking at who has money and using tools at their disposal to get those people to put their money into the economy. Even if it requires giving them cancer....or worse.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I can't speak for the rest of the world but here in the States we have the freedom to be as out of shape as we want. I do not believe its as much of the Governments fault as our own doing.

McDonald's with cars in the drive thru wrapped around the building every two miles on the rode. Walk into Kroger and your greeted with fresh vegatables on the right and pre made pies, cakes and donuts on the left. Pizza delivery till 2 am etc. etc.

Here ... entertainment and convenience is a staple of a good life but is also the road to bad health.

Growing up my parents rarely ate fast food, maybe once a month and it was either Capt. D's or White Castle, was always a treat rather than expected. I was always playing outside, riding a bike, playing football, climbing the big hill.

Now, many kids are raised on Fast Food and have a dvd player or an xbox 360 as a baby sitter. If I had to guess I would say life expectancy could get worse here ...

That is not to say everyone here has this life style, go to any park here in Louisville at any time of the day, dusk til dawn and you will see people walking and jogging, kids playing, dogs being walked.

Hell, at my work General Electric pays people to be healthy, by walking with with a pedometer you could make up to 500 bucks a year. Right now they have a thing going for a 50 dollar Kroger gift card for doing a health assessment.

So not everyone here lives a bad lifestyle but it is really, really easy to be unhealthy ...

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
The USA's obesity rate is almost exactly 10 times more than Japan's.

This: en.wikipedia.org...

I think as a general rule they're quite a fit country.

Maybe genetics too, I don't know.

Originally posted by Tazkven
drive thru

Off topic, but why do people say "thru"? It really bugs me. It's only 3 letters less than the correct spelling.
edit on 30-10-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join