why's Japan highest Life Expectancy while USA lowest and American lifespan continues falling?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by minnow

It may be interesting to look at diet : Japanese people do not eat much meat, but rather fish. This is used as an explanation why their health care costs are so low, as they are healthier, whereas health care costs are very high in our western "civilized world". I am not saying this is the explanation, I am saying it might be interesting to research into that.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Humans live on average 31.88 years in Swaziland and 82.6 years in Japan, although Japan's recorded life expectancy may have been very slightly increased by counting many infant deaths as stillborn.[5] An analysis published in 2011 in The Lancet attributes Japanese life expectancy to equal opportunities and public health as well as diet.[6][7]

Heres something Im sure would make the US quite envious about healthcare in Japan considering the mess we're in now

In Japan, health care is provided by national and local governments. Payment for personal medical services is offered through a universal health insurance system that provides relative equality of access, with fees set by a government committee. People without insurance through employers can participate in a national health insurance program administered by local governments. Since 1973, all elderly persons have been covered by government-sponsored insurance.[189] Patients are free to select the physicians or facilities of their choice.[190]

from here en.wikipedia.org...

also they eat alot of seaweed and I hear that is extremely good for your health. also wasaba which was said to be given to them by gods of the sky ( got that from ancient aliens)

also i mentioned alot that the government keeps effects the intelligence level and health of its citizenz but for the most part the government regulations are mostly a tool of the economy. The economy effects the regulations not vice versa for example laissez fair, federal regulations do not expand the economy, therefor its the greedy capitalist who tend to manipulate the selfish puppets in office for there own gain at the expense of health, quality of education etc..

With regards to IQ national scores and Life expectancy correlations Japan is ranked 3rd highest IQ, Norway 7th (current highest LE), US 9th ( but consider there are alot of ties between 7th and 9th place - 22 in between - starting after 6th place)
www.photius.com...
edit on 30-10-2012 by Mystic Vibes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Japan is mostly GMO free. The GMO free areas in Japan are expanding every year. Meanwhile in america, we get more GMOs every year.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

Originally posted by Tazkven
drive thru

Off topic, but why do people say "thru"? It really bugs me. It's only 3 letters less than the correct spelling.
edit on 30-10-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

Sorry if the world does not live up to your expectations, that must be really hard for you

... But that is what it is called

If I were you I would write a strongly worded letter to McDonald's about how their slaughter of the english language "bugs" you

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Life expectancy has actually declined in Japan recently coinciding with globalization and the exporting of western culture, erm poo fast food into the youth. The elders are expected to live longer than the youth. Japanese living in the US have the same life expectancy as a Caucasian living in the US.

So yea, lifestyle and diet.

If you're unfit, just walk around for a few months and cook your own meals. Then you can bump it up and start a real training program and get real about your diet + caloric needs.
edit on 30-10-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Japanese people tend to be more active, and a bit more conscious about keeping fit.

That's it, really. The Japanese diet isn't all that healthy to be honest - a lot of deep fried foods, a lot of high sodium foods, and a lot of alcohol afterwards. Japanese people are also far more likely to be smokers than in most western countries.

But it balances out. My company has a baseball team (not mandatory or anything), and in the summer we practice a couple of mornings a week, and play against a couple of other companies in town on weekends (then we all get ratted on beer and sake and eat bbq, which makes it worth it.). Just about everyone I know - friends, colleagues, nodding acquaintances - do some kind of sporting activity in their spare time. I know about a dozen seniors who climb mountains for fun, and about the same number of 20-something girls who wear the latest fashion monday to friday and take their manicured nails out fly fishing on the weekends.

People do things. They join clubs, they join teams, they buy books on new hobbies and seek out people to do those new hobbies with. They tend to strive to keep learning, and keep doing things, and they seem to do more of it as they get older and get the time and the money. Keep the brain active and keep the body active and guess what? You're going to live a longer, happier life.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
If I hear one more person complain about GMO I'll scream. GMO is all over Canada too. I don't eat it. I read labels. I don't eat any processed foods that yo ujust heat and eat. I buy fresh and cook my supper from scratch. Thats right I cook my own dinners. I have never been overweight and actually eat like a pig. Thats the difference. Conveinience over health. Nobody is forced to eat anything. People are just plain lazy these days and hardly spend any time outside doing stuff unless they have too. Here's your correlation. 64% of Americans are obese. The obese cost 10 times more over their lifespan in medical costs. They also cost employers money because they are less productive. Thats the facts. Obese people are obese by choice. That being said, make them pay for those extra pounds and extra costs themselves. Like a fat tax. You want to be a fat obese person then pay for it. Why should people that take care of themselves be forced to pay for all the extra costs for them to be obese. The obese are killing the health care systems. That my seem harsh but its the truth. The truth always hurts when your fat and don't want to hear it.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by FreshAirGirl

You're eating GMO one way or another and just don't realize it.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
First, Health Care. Second. Iodide enriched diet. Education and Intelligence.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Go to the islands in the Pacific and start talking to them about American food.

They'll tell you their races never had diabetes/obesity/cancer and all these ailments until they started eating canned food coming off the ships from America.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Even with the high prevalence of fatasses who smoke and eat fast food daily here in the US, we're still only about 4 years off the pace. Those years in the mid-late 70s aren't usually too awesome anyway. Japan can have those. I'm hoping to get hit by a train by 70 or so rather than linger withering in agony for years.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
You see? I disagree right there. The 70s - Hell, even the 80s plus I'm sure are completely tolerable depending on your outlook. I don't think your physical well-being is the be all and end all. Depends on your ATTITUDE to life.

My grandmother smoked two packs a day and drank a four pack of Guinness every day. Died aged 96. I doubt there's any correlation of course. Maybe she was just happy?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Honestly i think its bread and meat. From my own health I recognize how bith effect me poorly.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Agree with the meat. I haven't eaten it for 20 years.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by minnow

Fukishima!

Seriously.

Low Dose radiation increases life-span. Low dose arsenic and many other poisons do the same thing.

So, all of our organic and healthy living is killing us.

OK, I don't really believe that last part; I think its pretty obvious that our excessive caloric intake, obsession with red meats, and sedentary lifestyles are killing us. We don't walk anywhere. We drive across the street for lunch, and drive back. We don't stick to a 1500 calorie diet, we take in that much and more at every meal! We also choose to treat symptoms instead of treating diseases. So, when we get sick, we enter a declining cycle of treatments and side-effects, rather than treating the underlying cause, which once again is our diet and lack of exercise.

On another note, Japan has religion/tradition that honors and respects their elders, and it would be a crime in Japan to treat the elderly the way we treat ours in America. That could be another piece of the puzzle.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Speak for yourself. I don't drive and walk at least 10-15km a day.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I would agree with most that it is the laziness of most Americans and our poor diet choices that make us so sickly. That would be number 1. But I have to disagree with the idea that "universal health care" would increase our lifespans. If anything, it would help decrease our lifespan. America's medical community is all about making money. There is no money in curing people - only in "treating" people. You ever notice that people in America being treated for any disease are rarely cured? Cancer, for example, is the biggest money maker in America. If you are cured, it is due to luck. And even so the cancer usually returns to claim it's victim. The medical community is funded by big pharma. The pill makers tell the doctors of today what is the proper treatment (pill) for everything and cured people don't need pills.

Once the American medical community decides to cure people instead of sell pills - then universal health care would be the answer.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alekto
Speak for yourself. I don't drive and walk at least 10-15km a day.

Location = Tokyo

and

10-15 km, not miles, so not a typical American.

edit on 30-10-2012 by darkhorserider because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
It's the seaweed. Specifically, it's what IN the seaweed. Iodine.

In the US our goverment says to get arounf 100 to 150 MICROgrams a day. In Japan, they average 125 MILLIgrams a day.

Iodine used to be in bread in the US. 150micrograms per slice. The TPTB replaced it with bromine sbout 40 to 50 years ago.

So...
Chlorine
Bromine
Flouride

These are "Halides". Iodine is also a halide.

What's in our water? Flouride and chlorine. What's in the bread? Bromine. As halides, all three compete for receptor sites that iodine would otherwise attach to. There's very little iodine in our diet. What little you do get can't attach to the receptor sites becuase they're already crowded with flouride, chlorine and bromine. You know, from the old "drink 64 oz of water a day" and "eat lots of grains"...

It's almost like they're trying to kill us.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I think it is because the Japanese have a sense of duty to not only themselves, but their families and country. They have the drive to do well and to contribute to their society. Their elderly are respected, not ridiculed by the new generations. I believe the Japanese have far more fulfilling and rewarding lives than Americans do.

Whereas in America, we are 'dog eat dog' and ridiculously selfish. Many of us live only to get our next fix... be it drugs, more money, a new car, another TV show, etc.

Very few people here have the want... or even the ability... to live a life with true meaning. We don't try to be happy anymore, most of us just try to make ends meet and get little to no enjoyment from life's day to day meanderings.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join