It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curious To Know If THis Type Of EARTHQUAKE swarm Has Ever Happened In Canada Before?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I'm from BC. No there hasn't been these types of swarms since records have been kept. Before that who knows. Don't worry about people being ok. The area's that this is happening in are very isolated. The queen Charlottes are populated by seals. Kitimat same but does has Alcan Aluminum Smelter and 6000 workers there but they are inland and not too close. Same with the other regions having had activity. Watch Alaska coming up. Thats the key to the lock that holds alot of the plates in place. With the Indian plate now broken in half if Alaska was to rip a big one off then it would make it easy for the West Coast to really rip.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by FreshAirGirl

Such a cavalier attitude about the people that are there. 61 quakes in less than 30 hours. That seems very high to me. Thanks for informing me.

Wow. I hope these people are doing okay? Just in the time I was writing this post they have had more. And the area north of that in Alaska seems to be doing some shaking. Last month it was California, but those swarms dont't seem to have the same intensity as this one. I have not seen this activity in Canada for the time I have been following patterns. Maybe they have had this before. i know that area has had earthquakes, but like this, in a 12-24 hour time frame?

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
Just foreshocks and aftershocks. That is, of course, the edge of the continental plate and ocean plate. Theyll probably have aftershocks for months. Japan is still having aftershocks from 3/11. I say theyre lucky it happened now instead of building up pressure until it could shake out a 9.0!

I do wonder if sandy has anything to do with it. Theres been a major drought all summer, and now an unseadonable huricane? Hmmmmmmmm......mightvr put interesting stresses on the plate

Hurricanes and earthquake relationship
August 28 hurricane Isaac forms. At the same time Brawley Ca has an epic earthquake swarm.
Now we have Sandy a dangerous storm making land fall while Canada experiences swarm like activity.

Isaac reached hurricane strength the morning of August 28. The storm made its first U.S. landfall at 6:45 p.m. CDT that evening (2345 UTC), near the mouth of the Mississippi River. It made a second and final landfall at 2:00 a.m. CDT (0700 UTC) the next morning at Port Fourchon, Louisiana. At least 9 fatalities have been confirmed in the United States—5 in Louisiana and two each in Mississippi and Florida.[2]

Look at what one said about the Brawley swarm as far as Aftershocks.

"Obviously, all this activity is related or interconnected, but it doesn't really follow the typical main shock, aftershock activity," said Rob Graves, a seismologist with the U.S. Geological Survey.

I'm not an expert but I will say that this activity in Canada seems pretty unique as well.

With all that, I can simply say that we are observing the second occurrence of a hurricane / tropical storm weather phenomena alongside incredible seismic activity.

edit on 28-10-2012 by Observationalist because: How the ... do you spell hurricane

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Observationalist

Thanks for that info. Take care.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
They aftershocks seem strong but not much news coming out of there. I am not sure of the population density, will have to google that. I wonder if/how this will effect faults further down the West coast?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Action is creeping toward Seattle/Vancouver from top and bottom of the Ring of Fire, but we can't know if there will be a quake here. Let's hope the stress is relieved in a relatively uninhabited area. The buildings here could not stand anything over 7.0 could they (downtown)?

There was a domino string of lower than 4.0 across the southern US today: CA, AZ, AR, NC.
not sure if that means anything but it fits a certain global pattern of "skipping" we have seen before (with hte Norway quake last week being so close to Ring of Fire shakes it made me wonder about remotely related events).

Stay safe! Have 3+ day water supply and maybe even mosquito nets XD not permethrin though blah!!!!

BTW where is that guy, the one I told, if there is not a major event on/near Juan de Fuca before Nov 19 I would give him stars for a week?

Looks like i don't owe! LOL

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Action is creeping toward Seattle/Vancouver from top and bottom of the Ring of Fire, but we can't know if there will be a quake here. Let's hope the stress is relieved in a relatively uninhabited area. The buildings here could not stand anything over 7.0 could they (downtown)?

There was a domino string of lower than 4.0 across the southern US today: CA, AZ, AR, NC.
not sure if that means anything but it fits a certain global pattern of "skipping" we have seen before (with hte Norway quake last week being so close to Ring of Fire shakes it made me wonder about remotely related events).

Stay safe! Have 3+ day water supply and maybe even mosquito nets XD not permethrin though blah!!!!

BTW where is that guy, the one I told, if there is not a major event on/near Juan de Fuca before Nov 19 I would give him stars for a week?

Looks like i don't owe! LOL

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Perelandra
They aftershocks seem strong but not much news coming out of there. I am not sure of the population density, will have to google that. I wonder if/how this will effect faults further down the West coast?

The epicentre was uninhabited , logging area..
It's not a swarm, but aftershocks.
She's made a duplicate thread on this.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

I just hope it stays nothing but aftershocks.
This area has me really really worried right now.
But that is because I have a stake in what happens in this part of the world.
I am hoping this was the release that keeps that area more stable, but I guess we will just have to watch and see.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
M5.0 - HAIDA GWAII, CANADA
2012-10-30 02:55:15 UTC

M6.2 - 188km S of Masset, Canada
2012-10-30 02:49:02 UTC

NO SIGN OF STOPPING SOON
Get some water in glass bottles etc
edit on 29-10-2012 by KhufuKeplerTriangle because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you all for responding. Take care and much love to all.

Ascension211

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ascension211

I did some more research and found another relationship with EQs and hurricanes back in 1949. It's very similar to what happened this past week.

August 22, 1949 8.1 EQ. Queen Charlotte Island Canada.(Same location as last weeks 7.7 quake)
Wiki

This earthquake, larger than the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, is Canada's largest earthquake recorded by seismometers

The next day August 23, the largest hurricane of the year developed, three days later it hits Florida as a category 4.

Wiki

On August 23, a moderate tropical storm developed 200 miles (323 km) east of Sint Maarten.[3] Operationally, the system was treated as an easterly wave until it moved through the Bahamas.[2] It is believed that the system originated near the Cape Verde islands.[4] On August 24, the tropical storm passed north of the Leeward Islands and San Juan, Puerto Rico, and then strengthened to a minimal hurricane with 75 mph (120 km/h) winds on August 25. Subsequently, it strengthened rapidly, and the cyclone was noted as "well developed" when it passed near Nassau[2] with 115 mph (185 km/h) winds on the morning of August 26.[3] At the time, it was the equivalent of a Category 3 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale. The storm strengthened further over the Gulf Stream, and it moved ashore over the city of West Palm Beach as a strong Category 4 hurricane around 7:20 p.m

While the Huricain hits Florida instead of New York, it's path ran up the east coast into New York. Hurricane Path

One more if anyone is still interested. This one also relates to the two events this week.
First, Sandy is short for Alexander. Sorce
In June 2010 Hurricane Alex formed 2 day after another rare EQ in Canada, this time in Ottawa.

Canada's capital, Ottawa, declared this earthquake as being its most powerful in 65 years.[6]

Hurricane Alex, a rare june storm hit Central Mexico pretty hard.

Alex triggered widespread power outages throughout northeastern Mexico and southern Texas. Damage was most evident in the Monterrey metropolitan area, which faced what Nuevo León governor Rodrigo Medina de la Cruz described as "the worst weather phenomenon in its history."

Any on else find this correlation of EQ to Hurricanes interesting?

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   

well interesting... but didn't the hurricane form before the EQ? or did the EQ trigger a hurricane? egg chicken, chicken egg? lol very interesting to say the least..

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Me too.
It was such a big quake, but they're always warning of the big one that could be a 9.
It's like quakes are increasing in magnitudes the past few years.

The thing is its most likely that they just keep adding more seismometers around the world that are recording more quakes and they haven't really been keeping records for that long, considering how old the Earth is.

They seem to agree there are patterns as to how often a big quake comes and this region, or the juan du fuca plate or /Cascadia subduction zone is s about every 500 years or so I've heard. I think there was a big one around 300 years ago, or in 1700.

The geological record reveals that "great earthquakes" (those with moment magnitude 8 or higher) occur in the Cascadia subduction zone about every 500 years on average, often accompanied by tsunamis. There is evidence of at least 13 events at intervals from about 300 to 900 years with an average of 570—590 years.[6] Previous earthquakes are estimated to have occurred in 1310 AD, 810 AD, 400 AD, 170 BC and 600 BC.

edit on 31-10-2012 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticagnostic

well interesting... but didn't the hurricane form before the EQ? or did the EQ trigger a hurricane? egg chicken, chicken egg? lol very interesting to say the least..

I hear ya, I dug a little more and found that the 2005 EQ swarm in Brawley came a few days after Hurricane Katrina. So hard to make a distinction.
found this Article that talks about the EQ / Huriricaine relationship.

As for the connection between the two, there is no reason to believe that an earthquake can cause a hurricane. There are, however, some tantalizing clues suggesting that hurricanes might contribute to earthquakes. Massive changes in atmospheric pressure, for example, are widely thought to cause slow earthquakes—weak tremors that last for hours or days rather than unleashing their full power over a few moments. At least one earth scientist believes hurricanes and typhoons can set off more destructive earthquakes as well. At the 2010 American Geophysical Union meeting, Shimon Wdowinski of the University of Miami argued that the abnormally heavy 2008 hurricane season caused enough land erosion to shift the pressure on the earth's crust, triggering the massive 2010 quake in Haiti. He pointed out that strong storm seasons also preceded large quakes in Taiwan in 1996 and 2009. At this point, however, Wdowinski's theory hasn't yet gained widespread acceptance, and most earth scientists still see no connection between hurricanes and large earthquakes. (Nor would the theory explain last week's coincidence, in which the quake came first.)

Not much to put you hat on there, but at least, I was able to expanded my knowledge and perspective on these major events.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   

I happen to believe that the moon has more effect on earthquakes and the sun has more on the weather patterns. Both effect water and wind conditions here on Earth. Any time I see a transition of a full moon there is an increase and then it decreases the following week, the solar winds flare up from time to time and kick in, but you can watch the moon patterns easier. I have been usgs'ing every day for the past 4 months and this pattern of earthquakes has been very consistent so far.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I think we can all pretty much see that this is not normal. It has been rumbling and giving off a lot of 4's 5's and a 6 the day before yesterday. It goes quiet, and then another one, a few aftershocks....and then another one..... Maybe it will settle down, one can hope.

We have had PLENTY of warning from this quake zone and no deaths.

If we were at war with something as was suggested, people would of died already with this quake.
This is a warning of something bigger I believe.

All anyone can really do is be prepared, and if you live in that area, please get a bug out bag ready just in case this really is a warning of a bigger event. If the ground starts to shake where you are, don't question a tsunami warning, just get uphill. Just be ready and aware. Have faith in your own intuition and if your own warning bells go off, listen to yourself and don't doubt. It is better to be safe than sorry.

I would love to say "HEY!! Something just told me this is going to explode!" But nothing has, only my intuition that is telling me that something is very wrong in that area. I even sent my brother up there a message to be ready to move uphill if the ground starts to shake bad, and I would advise everyone else in that area to be ready to, just in case. At least in my hometown, people are watching this zone very carefully, because it is a very serious thing. It has been quiet there for so long, people got kind of secure in thinking that they are not in danger, and this has been a wake up call to be alert.

edit on 1-11-2012 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I swear that I found this article on this thread but now going back, I can't seem to find it. So I apologize if this is a double post of that NY Times piece by Naomi Klein.
The article doesn't mention anything about the earthquakes but from my understanding, this happened in the same location as these earthquakes. Don't know if there is any relation but it's an interesting thought.
www.nytimes.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Hi all
Here's a link to an actual java seismolet (real time) It's a little unit that's in a room at some university in Washington. (state) It's the only "real time" seismograph I've seen but there may be others... Whenever the sh1t hits the fan on a geological scale , this baby goes wild! Was nuts during the Haida Guai (spll) quake recently, and during the Sumatra event it was extreme for at least seven days.
~Don't worry no spam or dumb crap. I like it here

benioff.geol.wwu.edu...

edit on 28-12-2012 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join