It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALERT Magnitude: 7.7 West Coast of Canada

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Unity_99

The straight of Hectate, is a Goddess, Associated NYC, and Occult Magick Ritual For NWO

www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread894339/pg1

EMSC-CSEM

www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/earthquake.php?id=290409

2012-10-29 00:18:50.7 52.64 N 130.99 W 10 4.1 HECATE STRAIT REGION, CANADA

www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/earthquake.php?id=290407

2012-10-28 23:55:02.5 53.01 N 131.28 W 10 4.1 HECATE STRAIT REGION, CANADA

USGS

earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/usb000dg6p.php

4.1 2012/10/29 00:18:51 52.637 -130.987 10.0 HECATE STRAIT REGION, CANADA

earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/usb000dg6b.php

4.1 2012/10/28 23:55:02 53.010 -131.283 10.1 HECATE STRAIT REGION, CANADA

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by miner49r
For those not aware of the site PNSN.org they published a bulliten on the quake and will be studying it closer in the weeks to come. The forecast is for more aftershocks to follow.

The article may found here:

M7.7 earthquake 400 km north of Vancouver Island

One quote from that article:
'This earthquake likely applied some additional stress to the faults we are concerned with in the Puget Sound and will have local aftershocks that are prominent for weeks. '

Not what I wanted to here.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
While the magnitudes around Haida Gwaii are relatively sticking in the 4-5 magnitude range it is promising to see them slow down. A 5.0 after almost two hours of nothing.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by phoenixlights321

I whole heartedly agree. I don't mind the aftershocks...those are fairly benign. The added stress is another thing though. They are going to be studying this for sometime to come. It will be interesting to see where this leads.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Just finished reading the thread, so tell me are all of the little ones along the San Andreas faultline caused from the 7.7? Are these before shocks or are they pressure releases? WHERE are our resident experts? I am going to go find the Quakewatch thread! I did see westcoast, hopefully people are posting in the 2012 EQ thread!
reply to post by antar

I wouldn't get too worked up over what we are seeing...not just yet. It is always best to error on the side of caution and caution would dictate having an emergency stash of supplies ready just in case.

Yes, this was a very large event but with large events also come a number of aftershocks. We are seeing a normal outcome so far. These aftershocks may last for days or even weeks and may number up into the hundred range or so.

The activity that is being talked about along the San Andreas fault is normal activity for that region. While the Cascadia Subduction Zone is an extension of the San Andreas fault, there is and will be constant movement through out the entire length. This is normal. The activity reported in Idaho, Nevada, and back East is unrelated.

During events like this there are those who wish to sound the alarm and panic ensues. Panic is just what not to do. If you live in a possibly affected area the best thing to do is prepare in the event something does happen.

There is no solid science or ability to predict these sorts of events..... preparation aleves a great deal of anxiety and fear.

You do realize that the Cascadia Subduction Zone is is NOT an "extension" of the slip fault San Andreas... Right?

Completely different geologic interactions... with the CSZ having the highest destruction potential...

danm

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MonkeyFishFrog

Monkey.. your gonna drive yourself nuts watching the map.

These will probably continue on for another few weeks or perhaps a few months. We may even possibly see a few 5-6 mag aftershocks before this event settles in and mellows out.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by miner49r

True but now that it looks like its slowing down I feel like I can stop watching the map intensely. Even go to bed at a decent hour.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

You do realize that the Cascadia Subduction Zone is is NOT an "extension" of the slip fault San Andreas... Right? Completely different geologic interactions... with the CSZ having the highest destruction potential... danm
reply to post by dangermouse

If you had read my other posts you would understand that I do realize the destructive potential and nature of the CSZ.

The CSZ is an extension of the San Andreas fault. The San Andreas is a strike-slip fault to the point of of extreme most Northern California where it dives off into the ocean. From there it becomes a Subduction Zone and continues on Northward until it reaches the area where this current event has happened. It is at this point it returns to being a strike-slip fault. Yesterdays 7.7 was a strike-slip event... thus as is common with most strike-slip faults no tsunami generated.

As previously mentioned,... go back and read my other posts on this issue before you begin to flame my post.

- Your apology is accepted in advance, have a nice day.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
www.ctvnews.ca...

Hundreds of aftershocks hit British Columbia including a 6.4-magnitude tremor Sunday afternoon,following one of the strongest earthquakes to the area in decades.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Actually, it was a thrust. Just sayin.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

You do realize that the Cascadia Subduction Zone is is NOT an "extension" of the slip fault San Andreas... Right? Completely different geologic interactions... with the CSZ having the highest destruction potential... danm
reply to post by dangermouse

If you had read my other posts you would understand that I do realize the destructive potential and nature of the CSZ.

The CSZ is an extension of the San Andreas fault. The San Andreas is a strike-slip fault to the point of of extreme most Northern California where it dives off into the ocean. From there it becomes a Subduction Zone and continues on Northward until it reaches the area where this current event has happened. It is at this point it returns to being a strike-slip fault. Yesterdays 7.7 was a strike-slip event... thus as is common with most strike-slip faults no tsunami generated.

As previously mentioned,... go back and read my other posts on this issue before you begin to flame my post.

- Your apology is accepted in advance, have a nice day.

en.wikipedia.org...

San andreas fault is not the cascadia. They are two different fault zones, as well as two different kinds. .

CSZ is above the northern part of the sandreas fault. How ever these quakes are taking place outside of this zone all together, on the queen charolette fault. so I don't even see why it's being argued about.
edit on 28-10-2012 by Hijinx because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Not true, the most recent research has concluded the Cascadia and San Adreas are connected and are part of the same fault. Just google "Monster Quake, Are We There Yet" watch the program and see. They found where the faults connect.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlexanderM
Not true, the most recent research has concluded the Cascadia and San Adreas are connected and are part of the same fault. Just google "Monster Quake, Are We There Yet" watch the program and see. They found where the faults connect.

Soooooooooooooooo, wiki is lying? Not the first time I've heard that, but okay. The two faults are different all together. San andreas is a slip strike. Cascadia is most known for it's subduction zone. Two different instances all together, producing different kinds of activity.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org... San andreas fault is not the cascadia. They are two different fault zones, as well as two different kinds. . CSZ is above the northern part of the sandreas fault. How ever these quakes are taking place outside of this zone all together, on the queen charolette fault. so I don't even see why it's being argued about.

Actually I think someone decided to come along and start nit picking details as well as a bit of a personal attack. I was wondering how long it would be before the trolls came out of the woodwork. That is one reason I lurk here on ATS and rarely ever get involved in a conversation.

You are correct in saying they are different "fault zones" and different geologically. But, ... to say they are not an extension of one or the other is ludicrous, and to say what happens on one does not affect the other is is wrong also.

It could just as easily be said that the Queen Charlotte fault is an extension of the CSZ or visa versa as well. Just because they bear two different "fault names" and may have different geologic workings in no way isolates them from each other. One does effect the other I don't care what or how Wiki defines them.

Read this: M7.7 earthquake 400 km north of Vancouver Island

I believe this is definitive proof that just because they are different faults, that they are extensions of one another and what happens on one does effect another.

The earlier concern was about the San Andreas and Cali possibly going off, and quakes in Idaho, Nevada, and back East....and I addressed that.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Wow, you're calling me a troll, because I brought up a valid point about these areas being different?

I've been participating in this thread for a little while already. I've been paying attention to the activity, as well as looking for past activity in the area.

You're right that the fault is connected in the regard it's all interactions with the North American plate, how ever along these faults the zones change. In fact there is a triple junction in the south where the cascadia, san andreas and mendocino faults meet. There is also a triple junction near where this recent 7.7 occurred with cascadia, explorer ridge, and QCI faults.

You can argue with me, and that's fine, but that doesn't make me a troll.

There is a connection between activity in the Cascadia Subduction zone, triggering events along the norther parts of the San Andreas fault, as well as into the Mendocino fault. They are not how ever, the same faults, nor extensions of each other.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Hijinx I was not calling you a Troll.... that was in regards to a previous post before yours.

Your right about the triple junctions, I grew up in Crescent City, CA triple junction central and also tsunami magnet central.

We can agree to disagree on terminology or semantics. You wish to call them separate geologic units and boundaries .. I wish to call them extensions ... either way they are connected so I don't see a problem over all with it.... we both agree one can and does effect the other.

It's like county lines on a map...each is it's own county but take away the lines and it is one whole.
edit on 28-10-2012 by miner49r because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I just realized we are arguing two different arguments all together. I'm not exactly sure what it is you're trying to convey and both of our arguments could be entirely valid.

I don't know if you directed the trolling statement my way, but I jumped on it as if you were.

Now, I will agree activity along faults can be a sign of activity else where, how ever the location of a 7.7 where it is, in an area that has not seen activity for nearly 2 decades, doesn't lead me to believe it's related to activity on the very active san andreas which encompasses mostly california.

The movements of the plates involved is also different, actually quite confusing when you try to understand as it seems the plates themselves are moving in multiple directions depending where along the fault you are looking.

The Article you posted mentioned worries of activity in the puget sound area, which is outside of california, but still with in the cascadia area. The Last significant event of worry, involving the cascadia zone was the eruption of mount st helens. I fail to see the connection to California, and the northern junction though.

If you care to explain your theory I'm more than willing to listen, but we are arguing over a very vast area, and though the plates themselves cover this expanse the current activity is a long way from the areas you have mentioned, suggestion tension released to the north is related to activity in the south is beyond me.

edit on 28-10-2012 by Hijinx because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Okay, lol. I was confused, and I got hasty. I can agree to disagree, as we are obviously arguing two different areas of a relative topic.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

The whole San Andreas issue and reference came up earlier when someone thought a sleeping giant had woken up. They were seeing EQ's in in Cali, Nevada, Idaho, and back East. They were worried it is was all going to come apart now.

I told them that they all those EQ's were not related to the Queen Charlotte event and were simply normal activity.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Ahhhh, yes. The coveted doom seer's got a hold of it.
OMG! The letters in these words all seem to fit together... maybe it means something.....
LOL
Everything must be connected!!! I'm glad I got rid of my tinfoil hat before I caved and joined for an account.

I suppose when you think of the QCI area not having activity like this for a while, it seems odd. How ever, when you look back at the data of the past, this is usually how this area goes.

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join